Bachem Natter on mobile launcher

Started by TomZ, October 03, 2022, 10:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

Bachem Natter on mobile launcher

When the Natter entered service in 1945 it proved to be rather effective against US bombers but the launch sites were very vulnerable to enemy ground attacks. Therefore the Luftwaffe sought to design mobile launch platforms that could be moved frequently and hidden when not in use.

One of the options was to equip Sd.Kfz 7 half-tracks with a short launcher which could be raised, enabling the Natter to be launched and could then quickly be hidden inside a barn or under trees. The launcher was based on a FLAK 80 mount.

Around 120 Sd.Kfz 7s were modified and were very successful until the Natter was withdrawn from service in 1947 and replaced with unmanned Rheintochter R6 missiles.

Models: Airfix Sd.Kfz-7 1/76 & Brengun 1/72 Natter

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Dizzyfugu

Sweet.  :thumbsup:  I have a similar project on the long agenda, too, already a 1:72 Brengun Natter stashed away, too, as well as "things" to create a kitbashed (and somewhat bigger than yours) mobile launch platform.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

perttime

The missile with a human targeting system looks large on the halftrack - but the aircraft isn't all that heavy, so it should work. I just worry a bit about the vehicle driver's compartment when the rockets fire  :wacko:

NARSES2

Really neat looking Tom, I do like the Natter's camouflage  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: perttime on October 04, 2022, 05:22:13 AMI just worry a bit about the vehicle driver's compartment when the rockets fire  :wacko:

The driver will surely be LONG gone!

And the whole thing won't be much use afterwards anyway as it'll have been burnt to a crisp.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 04, 2022, 06:42:41 AM
Quote from: perttime on October 04, 2022, 05:22:13 AMI just worry a bit about the vehicle driver's compartment when the rockets fire  :wacko:

The driver will surely be LONG gone!

And the whole thing won't be much use afterwards anyway as it'll have been burnt to a crisp.  ;D

I had pretty much the same thought.     In some ways it's the same problem as  the Blue Water missile launched from the back of a Bedford truck in the 1950's
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Wardukw

I've got a similar idea with a armoured cab version I have which mounted the 37mm gun ..similar to a Nebelwerfer
but a bit more powerful with alot more rockets.
I was thinking about the weight of that plane and it's balance hanging off the back of the 8ton...stability might be problematic ..a couple of support legs might be in order and should fix any issues.
Still it's a half track which I still like alot and it's original..very cool  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

TomZ

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on October 04, 2022, 09:57:22 AMI've got a similar idea with a armoured cab version I have which mounted the 37mm gun ..similar to a Nebelwerfer
but a bit more powerful with alot more rockets.
I was thinking about the weight of that plane and it's balance hanging off the back of the 8ton...stability might be problematic ..a couple of support legs might be in order and should fix any issues.
Still it's a half track which I still like alot and it's original..very cool  ;D

Indeed, looking at the pictures, I am tempted to add some some support legs on the back

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Wardukw

Yeah Tom that would be a good idea and it will balance out the look of the model too  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

frank2056

Great idea! The Natter looks great... although I would hope it's isn't fueled up as it bounces along a road or a field! T-Stoff and C-Stoff accidents were deadly.

Old Wombat

To give any meaningful support, the legs would have to be grounded at least in line with the lower lip of the Natter's exhaust tube or even a bit further back, so quite long..
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Surely they'd need to go back only past the Natter's CG in its launch position?

That would be about level with the lower point of the lower fin of the Natter.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe