What If and Never Were model subjects: What's the point?

Started by seadude, September 11, 2022, 07:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

I just saw this topic in another forum that I go to.
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=370724

I myself have nothing against what if and never were stuff. I enjoy building those types of subjects as it allows me to broaden my imagination, creativity, and modeling skills. ;)
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Old Wombat

Oh, dear! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure that I could list all of the reasons why I build What Ifs but here's the short list;

1. It's an artistic outlet for one's imagination;
2. It often gets one thinking about the theory behind the design of things;
3. If something doesn't work or look right, one can change it;
4. There is no aggressive criticism if you don't do everything "right"; &
5. It's fun!
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

scooter

Whenever I see posts shared here that ask these questions shared here, I'm always reminded of the SpongeBob episode "The Idiot Box" - wherein SpongeBob and Patrick have fun with a cardboard box, but Squidward is to "grounded"(?) in "reality" to see the fun they're having.  Of course, I'd also like to see the OP's bookshelves and see if he's got any speculative fiction, like Flight of the Old Dog or The Intruders on them.

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

I suppose Mr. Lorenzo doesn't read fiction too, on the grounds that such imaginary work doesn't fit his 'historical' background.

What a narrow and cloistered life he must lead.  :banghead:

I feel the same about the narrow minded aircrew on the PPRune Forum, they seemed to think that I really shouldn't have invented the PR19.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Pellson

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 11, 2022, 08:12:33 AMOh, dear! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure that I could list all of the reasons why I build What Ifs but here's the short list;

1. It's an artistic outlet for one's imagination;
2. It often gets one thinking about the theory behind the design of things;
3. If something doesn't work or look right, one can change it;
4. There is no aggressive criticism if you don't do everything "right"; &
5. It's fun!

I couldn't have put it better myself.  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Weaver

The irony is that I've gone on SO many deep dives into real life subjects that I would never otherwise have taken an interest in whilst researching ideas for what-if models.  There are many things that 'just work' in real life that you have limited incentive and time to take an interest in. But if you want to use those things in a different way, in a different context, in a design or story of your own invention, then suddenly you have to understand HOW and WHY they 'just work' and what their limitations, potentialities and side-issues are. Being able to use 'bypass engines' or 'blown flaps' intelligently in even a hypothetical, no-consequence design requires a much deeper understanding of those things than simply modelling their appearence does.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

DogfighterZen

Oh boy... i just laugh at these poor, small minded blockheads... the "Karens" of modelling... hates what-ifs... ROFL!!! Who cares??!! He can stick his hate in his rear end.  :wacko:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

kerick

Quote from: DogfighterZen on September 11, 2022, 04:58:47 PMOh boy... i just laugh at these poor, small minded blockheads... the "Karens" of modelling... hates what-ifs... ROFL!!! Who cares??!! He can stick his hate in his rear end.  :wacko:

Just the response here tells we I don't need to read the link. I don't need more negativity in my life these days. I build what I like because I like to build it. What if is creative and challenging to me and that makes it fun. If someone else wants to build some perfect replica that's fine with me. Except for another super detailed Me-109, I'll barf. Sorry.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

comrade harps

Quote from: Weaver on September 11, 2022, 12:44:42 PMThe irony is that I've gone on SO many deep dives into real life subjects that I would never otherwise have taken an interest in whilst researching ideas for what-if models.  There are many things that 'just work' in real life that you have limited incentive and time to take an interest in. But if you want to use those things in a different way, in a different context, in a design or story of your own invention, then suddenly you have to understand HOW and WHY they 'just work' and what their limitations, potentialities and side-issues are. Being able to use 'bypass engines' or 'blown flaps' intelligently in even a hypothetical, no-consequence design requires a much deeper understanding of those things than simply modelling their appearence does.

I do that with my back stories. I research to find out how to twist things. I've learnt bits and pieces about national histories that I would otherwise not thought about exploring.
Whatever.

andrewj

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 11, 2022, 08:32:56 AMI suppose Mr. Lorenzo doesn't read fiction too, on the grounds that such imaginary work doesn't fit his 'historical' background.

What a narrow and cloistered life he must lead.  :banghead:

I feel the same about the narrow minded aircrew on the PPRune Forum, they seemed to think that I really shouldn't have invented the PR19.

Invented  ?!!! , you mean it's not real ?

Leading Observer

Each to their own guess, but I cannot imagine life without imagination. This smacks of those that told Walt Disney that Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs would be an abject failure. They may have been wrong
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

perttime

You can build or draw something that you wish existed.

rickshaw

I build What-if models because I enjoy them.  They are realistic but it's not necessarily why I build them.   It has taught me the intricacies of their design processes and more importantly, to tolerate other peoples efforts as well.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Dizzyfugu

I quote Data from Star Trek in this case: "(Try to) Be more than the program".
Whiffing is breaking out from constraints 3rd parties set - be it model kit producers, oh-so educated historians, rivet counters, whatever.
For many people it is hard to accept that there's more than inside of or beyond their head - the cannot fathom and appreciate it, and it scares them, questioning the status quo. Perceived reality can be a prison! And discussing with people who are confined by their own limited minds is more or less futile, not only concerning models.
Whiffing is a subversive, creative act. And producing a credible whif is IMHO more challenging than just "building something fictional", gluing some parts together or applying an odd paint scheme.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: andrewj on September 11, 2022, 11:14:36 PMInvented  ?!!! , you mean it's not real ?

It is here in WhiffWorld, have no fear.

Anyway you can go and see it at the Cosford Museum, it must be true 'cos it says so on the Net.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit