Ryan FR-1 Fireball, VF-21 March 1945 *finished*

Started by sandiego89, September 04, 2022, 10:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

Picked up this Fireball at a model swap meet, paid $1, perhaps I overpaid!  :o

No real theme or backstory yet, but will be a WHIF.  This is my first vacuform after decades of building, and I have always had a soft spot for the Fireball.  Yes I really should just buy an injection kit, but just wanted something to challenge myself. 

Wish me luck!

1/72 Ryan Fireball by The Eagles Talon Inc.  1980's kit???

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Eagles Talon stuff is REALLY good, some of the best vacforms I've ever built.

You'll have very few problems with it I'm sure, but I admit that I haven't done the Fireball myself.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Nice ! Always neat to see these rare types be built. Looking forward to watching and good luck !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Wardukw

Never built a vac form kit before and probably never will so im going to enjoy this build  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

Good luck! Curious what will become of it, hardware and whif-wise!  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on September 04, 2022, 11:38:31 PMNever built a vac form kit before and probably never will so im going to enjoy this build  ;D

If you like and know the subject it can be a fun thing to do. I really enjoyed the P.1121 I did years ago, so much so that I have another three in the stash!  ;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Wardukw

I think the biggest problem for me now trying to build a vac form kit is my left hand..i am having issues with holding things with it..sometimes its to much grip and other times not enough and just trying to hold something which needs only a little pressure the hand gives it to much.
I think i would end up crushing the model  :unsure:
  :lol:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on September 05, 2022, 03:09:08 AMI think the biggest problem for me now trying to build a vac form kit is my left hand..i am having issues with holding things with it..sometimes its to much grip and other times not enough and just trying to hold something which needs only a little pressure the hand gives it to much.
I think i would end up crushing the model  :unsure:
  :lol:

That must be very annoying.  Are you right or left handed?
Is this a result of injuries from the explosion?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Fireball is an interesting aircraft. I built the MPM kit in Royal Australian FAA markings many moons ago
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Agree Chris, really interesting aircraft, and apparently very maneuverable.

Whelp, here it goes.  No backing out now!

Bearcat for scale

Here are the entire assembly instructions- at least I won't forget what step I am on! 

outlining the pieces for cutting

big cuts with hearty kitchen scissors

closer cuts with sprue cutters and sharp blade.  scoring along seam. 

major sections cut out of the sheet

Dave "Sandiego89"

Wardukw

I was right Dave..i am enjoying this build and the Fireball is a very intresting plane..very cool build  :thumbsup:

Fred mate thankfully im right handed and the explosion didnt help...i originally broke it at the wrist falling off a bloody skate board ..both bones ..the hospital mucked up the cast so my thumb didnt work properly and then the boom..that messed it up more which dont help trying to hold things i can tell ya  .
Strange thing is some days its sweet and kinda normal and others i want to cut the bugger off ...im happy i havent  :lol:

zenrat

Yeah, don't that DUKWy.  At least not until you can get a new one fitted.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Wardukw

:lol:   :lol: ..oh im gonna do my best to make sure i  never need a new one  ;D

sandiego89

Re-commenced work on the Fireball.  Guess I need a backstory update to explain the delay  ;) : by late 1944 the war on both fronts was proceeding fairly well, and many aircraft contracts, were scaled back or cancelled. Ryan was given a brief delay on the Fireball, but with the Kamikaze threat growing, the Fireball was brought up to a priority 1 project and work at San Diego was again sped up. 

Again this is my first vacuform kit- so a real experiment for me.     

Scratching up a cockpit floor

The vacuform fuselage is very light, but the main landing gear is very far forward.  Needs some nose weight.

The kit prop and engine is quite basic.  Think I will liberate the engine and cowling from my paint mule S-2F.  Poor Stoof. 

Dave "Sandiego89"

loupgarou

I suppose you spent the time from last september sandng away the thickness of the plastic sheet from the parts. It's the most annoying part of vacuform builds IMO  :rolleyes: .
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.