Tiger Force National Markings

Started by NARSES2, September 04, 2022, 06:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Just in case you are not aware Tiger Force to have been the RAF's contribution to the air war against Japan if there had been no nuclear bomb. Well I have plans for a couple of possible Tiger Force builds and I'm wondering about national markings ?

Rather than standard SEAC markings I've read somewhere (can't remember where) that they were to have used BPF (British Pacific Fleet) markings which seems quite sensible to me, but was wondering if anyone has seen anything on what the actual plans were ?

I've also read that rather than white ID bands as per SEAC and BPF they would have had dark blue ? However I was wondering if that was just for Al painted aircraft ?

There's probably no definitive information as it never happened, but any "hard" information would be most welcome.

Thanks

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

I think that dropping a line to TSRJoe might be worth your while. Kit'sDeKals did a set of markings which I will use on my Lancaster B.XL if I ever get around to doing anything else with it, twelve years and counting though it could be longer  :rolleyes:
In general I think your on the money anyway for what would have been used.

Gondor the procastinator, some of the time  :angel:
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Sport21ing

Maybe something similar to this link: https://combatace.com/forums/topic/90210-raf-tiger-force-japan-1946/

Plus, something I imagine a fighter with the bomber White/Black scheme? It could be cute

Also, IF, let's say, that some former exile nation decided to send volunteers to form a squadron, some form of national marks on their squadrons, like, for exemple, Belgium and Norway have their flags represented in the rudder of their respective aircrafts
My deviantart page:
http://sport16ing.deviantart.com/

PS: Not my art, not very good at drawning :P

NARSES2

Thanks for that link Sporting  :thumbsup:

It's clarified my thoughts somewhat, especially regarding whether or not to go with asymmetric wing roundels.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TallEng

I think Paul Lucas is your man, He did an article on Tiger force Lancasters. But unfortunately I can't remember
if it was in a SAM magazine, or one of his Colour Conumdrum Magazines. Unfortunatly Im away from
my pile of books/Magazines and wont be home for another week so i cant check.
If :rolleyes: I remember ill look when I get home, because I 'Know' I have that article/Book/magazine
You could also check out the RAF Historical society Journals, in particular No.44 which includes amongst other things "Tiger Force and Flight Refueling"
Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

NARSES2

kitnut617

While reading my copy of 'The RCAF at War, 1939-1945', it talks about Tiger Force. At the beginning it was the RAF and RCAF that was forming it, and to be made operational from Western Canada. And apparently, RCAF bomber squadrons were returning to Canada well before 1945 and getting prepared with new Lancasters and training programs in Canada.
Also it mentions that the RCAF's Sunderlands were to be converted to transports to support the island hopping that was planned.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Sport21ing

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 05, 2022, 05:34:04 AMThanks for that link Sporting  :thumbsup:

It's clarified my thoughts somewhat, especially regarding whether or not to go with asymmetric wing roundels.

Your welcome  ;D  :thumbsup:
My deviantart page:
http://sport16ing.deviantart.com/

PS: Not my art, not very good at drawning :P

andrewj

As regards wing ID stripes they were white on camouflage aircraft , and dark blue on aluminium or natural metal finishes ,this was to give the maximum contrast.

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 05, 2022, 05:34:04 AMThanks for that link Sporting  :thumbsup:

e-mail inbound, Chris
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: andrewj on September 06, 2022, 03:51:16 AMAs regards wing ID stripes they were white on camouflage aircraft , and dark blue on aluminium or natural metal finishes ,this was to give the maximum contrast.

Thanks, confirms what I was thinking  :thumbsup:

Quote from: kitbasher on September 06, 2022, 03:59:59 AM

e-mail inbound, Chris

Received, thanks Dave  :thumbsup:

Quote from: TallEng on September 05, 2022, 05:36:23 AMI think Paul Lucas is your man, He did an article on Tiger force Lancasters. But unfortunately I can't remember
if it was in a SAM magazine, or one of his Colour Conumdrum Magazines. Unfortunatly Im away from
my pile of books/Magazines and wont be home for another week so i cant check.

Regards
Keith

Thanks Keith. For once a combination of Google and then my own filing system worked. It's in December 2018's copy which has been duly dug out, probably just as Kitbasher was e-mailing me the very same article  ;D

This question has shown just how great this site is  :thumbsup:

Thankyou gentlemen

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 06, 2022, 06:22:52 AMIt's in December 2018's copy which has been duly dug out

I think I had stopped buying modelling magazines by that time and the article sounds interesting especially as I have a build that should be part of that force.

Could someone send me a copy please?

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

NARSES2

The Wooksta!

Tiger force was to have been based on Iwo Jima, but the island was too small to operate it US and RAF air fleets. Consequently, the latter was to be split in two, with one half on Iwo Jima and tge rest from Burma.

The former would have had markings like that of BPF aircraft to lessen the chances of friendly fire incidents, the Burma based aircraft would have got standard SEAC markings.

I got that from Tony O'Toole, who does a fair bit of research in the National Records office.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 07, 2022, 06:05:55 AMI'll get it off to you

Chris

Thanks Chris  :thumbsup:  Received and safety stored for future reference

Gondor