NASA Recorded The Sound From A Black Hole, And It's Super Eerie

Started by scooter, August 25, 2022, 06:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

https://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-recorded-the-sound-from-a-black-hole-and-its-super-eerie

From the article:

The black hole is at the center of the Perseus cluster of galaxies, and the acoustic waves coming from it have been transposed up 57 and 58 octaves so they're audible to human hearing...

We wouldn't be able to hear them at their current pitch. The waves include the lowest note in the Universe ever detected by humans – well below the limits of human hearing...

The lowest note, the one identified back in 2003, is a B-flat, just over 57 octaves below middle C; at that pitch, its frequency is 10 million years. The lowest note detectable by humans has a frequency of one-twentieth of a second.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

TEN MILLION YEARS?

Yes, that's definitely a LOW frequency!!!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

frank2056

Imagine someone walking up to you, pointing at a Spitfire model and asking why that Mustang has those funny colored circles on its wings. What? calm down! They're both Allied airplanes and they fought the Commies in WWI, right?

As an astronomy major, amateur astronomer and up to date in the field... this article makes me grit my teeth in the same way. Oh well, make science interesting, etc. etc.

John Scalzi (who writes good SF as well) made some music with that sound.

kitbasher

Pah!  It's either an outtake from the Bowie album 'Low' or a mid-70s Brian Eno album.  Either way, Eno had a hand in it!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

perttime

Quote from: scooter on August 25, 2022, 06:07:59 PM...
... at that pitch, its frequency is 10 million years. The lowest note detectable by humans has a frequency of one-twentieth of a second.

So, one sound wave takes 10 million years to complete.... How long have they been listening?

jcf

Interesting that people have commented Pink Floyd, Eno etc., my first thought was Phillip Glass.  ;D