Real World P-40N

Started by AeroplaneDriver, July 28, 2022, 10:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

After a string of 4-5 Whifs it's time to mix on a real world for the latest.  My Birthday Week Build all finished up.

1/48 Hasegawa P-40N in RAAF 76 Sqn which according to my research wore these colours in early 1945 on Nooemfoor Island off the western tip of New Guinea. Aircraft based here got in pretty grungy condition apparently so I went for fairly heavy weathering.

Colours represent RAAF Foliage Green over Sly Blue.  I spent more time than I should down a rabbit hole researching colours for this build.  There is not much definitive info on the colours so I went with the old modelers rule of "looks right to me". There were so many variations of mixes and environmental factors that its just not worth the time to try to be 100% accurate because in reality it's in possible.

So anyhoo green is a 50/50 mix of UK Bronze Green and German Gunship Green.  Blue is 2:1:1mix of US Medium Gray, Curtis Gray, and Deep Sky.  All Vallejo Model Air. 

Aftermarket is the Eduard Zoom Cockpit set and Eagle Strike "Birds of Prey-part 6" decal sheet. 

Enough yapping. Here she is. A fun build of a favorite warbird.

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

kerick

If I can get a few more started builds finished I think I'll do a real world too. I have several Corsairs in the stash that would look good.
Your P-40 is looking great! Nice switch from od green and grey. I share your thoughts on the perfect "correct" colors for many things. Different manufacturers making paints, different aircraft makers applying the paint, extremes of weathering and repainting by field mechanics makes it almost impossible. Give your best shot and forge ahead!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

Wardukw

Like it Aero mate ..like it one hell of alot in fact  ;D  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

comrade harps

The Foliage Green looks spot on to me.  :thumbsup:
Whatever.

zenrat

Quote from: comrade harps on July 29, 2022, 01:06:55 AM
The Foliage Green looks spot on to me.  :thumbsup:

Hard to tell under all that weathering.
;D

No, seriously this looks pretty good for a RW build.  Colour is close as far as I can tell with my eyes.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Blue looks a little too blue, on my screen, to me, but the foliage green looks spot-on! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Great build of one of my favourite aircraft! :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est