Martin B28½ Canberra - Finished pics Pg 7.

Started by zenrat, July 24, 2022, 04:36:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

As this GB was my idea I felt compelled to build one of each type.
The only Canberras I could get my sticky paws on were 1/144 examples by A Model so suppressing my distrust of their products (born from experience) I purchased this.

Canberra Mk8 2 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Here is the requisite open box shot.

Canberra Mk8 1 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

I don't usually build 1/144 and my initial thoughts are to scaleorama it into 1/72.  I think there is just enough space for a pilot figure in that scale.
The backstory fermenting in my bonce is something relating to a half scale replica...

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

Quote from: zenrat on July 24, 2022, 04:36:30 AM
1/144 and my initial thoughts are to scaleorama it into 1/72.  I think there is just enough space for a pilot figure in that scale.
you could have the full nose for the pilot, prone, if you paint the windows black without transparency. These black canopies I use always now was an idea of TsrJoe a long time ago, thanks to him. ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Pellson

Quote from: zenrat on July 24, 2022, 04:36:30 AM
..my initial thoughts are to scaleorama it into 1/72.  I think there is just enough space for a pilot figure in that scale.

Really interesting idea. Are you thinking of using the standard wing/engine gondolas, or are you looking for bigger gondolas carrying bigger engines, maybe Avons, even?
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

zenrat

Good idea Tophe but I want to have a pilot sitting in a chair in the conventional manner.

Pellson - as you may have observed retaining the  kit nacelles would mean very slim engines when scaleoramaed into 1/72 so I am looking at replacing them with fatter alternatives.  I have a small stash of 1/48 drop tanks which may provide suitable raw materials.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Old Wombat

Lose the original engines completely, lose the nose glazing, add an exhaust pipe just under the tail = single-engine Meteor alternative! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

It's an option, but one of my possible back story ideas requires it to still look like a full size Canberra.

Another option is a pair of small turboprops.

Fred

loupgarou

Quote from: zenrat on July 25, 2022, 04:58:23 AM
It's an option, but one of my possible back story ideas requires it to still look like a full size Canberra.

Another option is a pair of small turboprops.

It's what I was thinking. Turboprops (even not small) and LONG STALKY undercarriage legs.
That would really change the Canberra look, normally so low-level.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Pellson

Quote from: zenrat on July 25, 2022, 04:29:56 AM
Pellson - as you may have observed retaining the  kit nacelles would mean very slim engines when scaleoramaed into 1/72 so I am looking at replacing them with fatter alternatives.  I have a small stash of 1/48 drop tanks which may provide suitable raw materials.

Following with interest.  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

zenrat

Whilst digging around in the box for the Lighting (also of this GB) I realised that it has a pair of (overwing - silly idea) drop tanks which are larger in diameter than the 1/144 Avon nacelles and so may do the job.
I don't want to use anything too fat or it'll end up looking more like a Meteor.
Fred

zenrat

Having separated the nacelles from the inner wings I started modifying a Lingting drop tank to use as a nacelle.  Imagine my surprise when I cut the end off and discovered it wasn't round in cross section.
Putting that aside I reached for the box containing my small stash of 1/48 tanks and missiles.  Imagine my surprise when I opened the lid and found no more 1/48 tanks.
Sick of surprises I grabbed the box containing bagged 1/72 weapons and found a pair of tanks from a Lockheed Viking[-p'[[';';///≥'/;[p]o0;l./
<at this point Charlie the Wonder Dog licked the keyboard of my laptop.  Is she trying to tell us something?  What does she mean by "[-p'[[';';///≥'/;[p]o0;l./"?>
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on July 29, 2022, 03:27:17 AM

<at this point Charlie the Wonder Dog licked the keyboard of my laptop.  Is she trying to tell us something?  What does she mean by "[-p'[[';';///≥'/;[p]o0;l./"?>

That's common mongrel for "I'm hungry"  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

Remove the engines from the wings and place them on pylons on the fuselage A-10/biz jet style. Move the horizontal stabilizers as needed. I'm sure Tophe could sketch that up.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Tophe

Quote from: kerick on July 29, 2022, 08:51:06 AM
Remove the engines from the wings and place them on pylons on the fuselage A-10/biz jet style. Move the horizontal stabilizers as needed. I'm sure Tophe could sketch that up.
Maybe I could do that, if zenrat requires it.
For that I needed a view of EE Lightning as "écorché" in French, I thought Google would find nothing, but it did! And the English word for it seems to be "cutaway drawing", all right. I got one at https://www.flightglobalimages.com/cutaways/military-aviation-1946-present-cutaways/english-electric-lightning-f-53-cutaway-drawing-1569411.html
Please zenrat, confirm if you need it. The "price" for it would be your acceptance that, after, I include such a version in my collection of Twin-Lightning drawings. ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kerick

Is there some turbo fans out there to put in place of the regular engines like the WB-57F?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

1/144 scale airliner turbofans are about the right size for upgrading a 1/72 scale Canberra.

I've done that 3-4 times now, and I'm running out of 'different engine' ideas for them. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit