Firestreak colours

Started by PR19_Kit, July 13, 2022, 02:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Somewhere I've read a thread about Firestreak colours, but can I find it, can I thump!  :banghead:

It's not on this site as I've searched and searched, but Google can't find it either.

Most pics show them in white, but I'm pretty sure they're drill rounds, and always shown on aircraft at displays, but i want to model a real live missile that's about to go whoosh-bang, so does anyone have any good info on this please?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

White are live rounds, dark green are acquisition or training rounds.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

AeroplaneDriver

Live rounds were either white or dark green. I think I read they started switching to green on camouflaged aircraft but I think stores were fairly interchangeable.  Id go with what you think looks best as both were used operationally.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

The Wooksta!

I'd got my info from a Dick Ward book on the Lightning and he was right most of the time.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

AeroplaneDriver

I'll defer to Lee on the above.  Cant find a pic of a green missile with live markings.  I may be confusing it with grey Red Tops being operational missiles.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Gondor

I agree with Lee on the colours. If I remember corectly the Firestreak always had all it's fins attached but the Red Top would often have the "wings" removed if it was a dummy/acquisition round.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Rheged

I too think that Lee is right.  Somewhere  I remember reading that drill rounds were usually (but not always) blue, and live rounds originally white but later sometimes camo.

The RED missiles often pictured on the SR53 are said to have been so painted to give a nice contrast to the white airframe.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

All good info, thanks.  :thumbsup:

The two 'German' squadrons, 19 and 92, carried green Firestreaks on their green Lightning F2As, but I can't find any pics of green ones on an NMF or otherwise camo'd aircraft.

I'm modelling a trials Firestreak, but it'd be a 'mature' missile, toted along with a Red Top too, so white would seem to be the logical colour for that situation.

Many thanks.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit