Gondor Let's Off Steam

Started by Gondor, July 07, 2022, 11:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

The title sounds a little like it comes from a book by the Rev. W. Awdry, he of Thomas the Tank Engine fame. It's not, but it sounds as if it should be. It's not even close to a title that he wrote.
Regardless, I have been talking about building some trains and whiffing them. After serching for threads for such items and finding none I have decided to open this thread for my creations.

So it will be full steam ahead, when signals and points permit.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Wardukw

This sounds rather intresting ...ive got Revell's Bigboy locomotive so this should give me some ideas  ;D
And besides ..i like wiffied heavy metal anyway .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Gondor

Don't expect Express service in the way of posts or building. Compaired to my normal threads this is a very quiet backwater of a branch line, or even a once a month goods train if you are lucky!

The only whiff I have the majority of material is for what was to be a Caledonian Railways operated V Class which was operated by Sothern Railways and them British Railways. While writing this I have found that the Caledonian Railway was taken over by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway by the time the engine was built so I need to order the correct paint  :banghead: I still have a bit more research to perform as I need to know the name board convention for the LMS and then come up with a way of replicating the name I choose.

So I now need a nice Red/Maroon colour rather than a nice light blue I received today. I will just have to find something to use it on as it would be a shame to waste it.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

PR19_Kit

You don't HAVE to paint it LMS Crimson Lake, this is WhiffWorld, remember, and maybe the LMS DIDN'T take over the Caledonian after all?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 07, 2022, 01:58:42 PM
You don't HAVE to paint it LMS Crimson Lake, this is WhiffWorld, remember, and maybe the LMS DIDN'T take over the Caledonian after all?

Very true, however I prefer to change as little as pissible when wiffing most things, keeping as much as real as possible to help confuse the punters and I am sure I will find something to paint in the Caladonian Blue. Sort of like a plot twist in a film or book, you think you know what's going on and then.....

Gondor

Wardukw

Mate ya know all those painst i scored on Wednesday ..well all the Humbrol acrylics are railway colours and they have i the red your looking for and i had a play with it yesterday..trust me ill be be getting alot more..its great stuff and cheap as .
Humbrols RC 403 is crimson lake red  :thumbsup:..i have it and 23 others  ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Gondor

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on July 07, 2022, 09:54:33 PM
Mate ya know all those painst i scored on Wednesday ..well all the Humbrol acrylics are railway colours and they have i the red your looking for and i had a play with it yesterday..trust me ill be be getting alot more..its great stuff and cheap as .
Humbrols RC 403 is crimson lake red  :thumbsup:..i have it and 23 others  ;D

Sounds like you got a great score there. Checked the old Humbrol Authentics paint catalogue I have and then checked my paint stock. The paint is not in my stock and the Authentic colour number was not given to a modern version so I may as well just buy new especially as I have been off sick this week so have my travel money available too  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Wardukw

Ahhhh i see your problems there matey boy  ;D
This paint is called  Humbrol acrylic rail paint...its so very new to the point i went online and looked at the Humbrol website to find out what the hell this paint is .
All the railway paints use the RC code   :thumbsup:

Gondor

No problem. I have been on-line to Howes Models and ordered a few bottles of paint, a pack of five weathering paints for steam locos at a reduced price, the Crimson Lake Red and LMS Stock Roof Grey to push the cost above thair free shipping limit. I must admit though that I had forgotten about the Humbrol Authentic paints.

Gondor

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on July 08, 2022, 03:22:22 AM
I must admit though that I had forgotten about the Humbrol Authentic paints.

Gondor

Just recently re-sorted mine to see what was useful. Most of them are from the old military uniform colours they did, but some of the ancient's colours (the leathers, linen etc) are useful and still good to use  :thumbsup: The old Metalcolour range was useful as well, still got a few of those.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

I didnt even know off Humbrols acrylic range as i use Ammo..Tamiya...Vallejo but before those it was Humbrol enamels and alot of em..ive still got at least a 100 cans of their early range but back then i didnt use a airbrush either so those were the way to go.
I do still use them for painting the odd bits and pieces so they aint going to waste..not in todays world.
Here they are $4.90 eh but according to my LHS their going up to 10 bucks each  :o 😮
If their right its the death of Humbrol.
Chris your right about the painta..ive got some old as the hills and its still good as the day it was made and heres the best part..i still have and use one of Humbrols  colour charts that ive had since i was a kid :thumbsup:

Gondor

Each time I find a new one I always get at least two of them as they are an invaluable means of cross reference in future years.

Gondor

Wardukw

Trust me mate when i head to Auckland again in 2 weeks ill be raiding my LHS for more of this paint..getting while the gettings good  ;D

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on July 08, 2022, 01:37:01 PM
..i still have and use one of Humbrols  colour charts that ive had since i was a kid :thumbsup:

I've still got one and use it as well, but I've also got a set of charts given out in Model Airplane years ago which converts Humbrol enamels to 9 other manufacturers ranges and that's quite useful at times.

Note :_ Humbrol have issued a new chart to go with their new acrylic range in dropper bottles (praise the deity of your choice for the move to DB'S) however they are only listing 81 colours.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 09, 2022, 05:26:05 AM

I've still got one and use it as well, but I've also got a set of charts given out in Model Airplane years ago which converts Humbrol enamels to 9 other manufacturers ranges and that's quite useful at times.

Note :_ Humbrol have issued a new chart to go with their new acrylic range in dropper bottles (praise the deity of your choice for the move to DB'S) however they are only listing 81 colours.

That's interesting, I will have to keep an eye out for that. Perhaps I would be better going through their web site as there are not many outlets for Humbrol near me.

Gondor