Flatning!

Started by kitbasher, July 03, 2022, 12:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

The roots of this build go back several months where there was a fair amount of discussion regarding 'flat Lightnings', i.e. engines side-by-side rather than vertically stacked.  It's going to be a mashup of a scrapped, previously-whiffed Lightning (https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=23088.msg333670#msg333670) and an ancient Italeri Tornado IDS that's been gathering dust for many years.

Work has begun.  Superfluous Tornado parts removed to the spares box, radome plus one engine intake and its wing pivotty thingy removed.  Pics to follow.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kerick

Sounds interesting! Carry on!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

The Wooksta!

Mine is stalled due to many other projects getting in the way.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

So here's what the 'Flatning' is going to be made up of - a dismembered Lightning, Italeri Tornado, NOVO Lightning wings and some other Lightningy bits and bobs:

The scrapped Lightning gave up its ejection seat for the 'Lightning PR.8' (https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=49644.msg932807#msg932807) so the 'pit' needed a hole sorting out.  As with the Vickers 588 the seat will be made from a kit seat, in this case from the FROG Lightning F.6 upon which the PR.8 was based:

The Tornado radome has been removed and the cockpit cut away to make room for Lightning components; plastic sheet added to fill some of the void and to provide a base for the inevitable PSR.  The Tornado's lateral engine intakes have been removed and again plastic sheet fitted prior to PSR:

And finally an idea as to how the Flatning may begin to look when the parts start to be attached to one another:

Airfix wings are shown but as mentioned I'll be using NOVO wings.

The 'bomber' Tonka is a rather stumpy creature - the 'fighter' version is rather better proportioned (IIRC the Tornado F.3 fuselage is approximately the length the RAF originally wanted for the GR.1/GR.4) but I had an otherwise unwanted Tornado IDS kit in the stash and wasn't going to uise the Hasegawa F.3 in the stash or shell out on a second F.3 (which would have been an Airfix kit anyway)!
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on July 17, 2022, 12:51:23 PM

The 'bomber' Tonka is a rather stumpy creature - the 'fighter' version is rather better proportioned (IIRC the Tornado F.3 fuselage is approximately the length the RAF originally wanted for the GR.1/GR.4)

I couldn't agree more. One of the reasons I started building my Tornado F5, which was an F3 with an F3 conversion grafted onto it.  ;)

One day I may finish it, when I can get the tailplanes to stay attached anyway. (that seems to be a recurring theme with me, tailplanes that won't stay on I mean...:()

The Flatning looks very promising, I'll follow progress with interest.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 17, 2022, 01:08:38 PM
Quote from: kitbasher on July 17, 2022, 12:51:23 PM

The 'bomber' Tonka is a rather stumpy creature - the 'fighter' version is rather better proportioned (IIRC the Tornado F.3 fuselage is approximately the length the RAF originally wanted for the GR.1/GR.4)

I couldn't agree more. One of the reasons I started building my Tornado F5, which was an F3 with an F3 conversion grafted onto it.  ;)

There was a time when I had strong urges to put together a 'long' Tornado GR.1, basically a bombed-up F.3 with a GR.1 radome.  Maybe one for the future, using a cheap F.3, the spare resin GR.1 radome I have in the stash and the necessary weaponry from an Airfix weapons set to build the 'proper GR.4'.

Dizzyfugu

An interesting basis for a side-by-side-engines Lightning.  :thumbsup:

Curious about the stabilizer placement, though - the Tonka tail looks a bit short?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 18, 2022, 12:12:27 AM

Curious about the stabilizer placement, though - the Tonka tail looks a bit short?

It makes up for with area though.  ;D

Not for nothing did the RAF call the Tonka 'The Mighty Fin'.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

I really like the idea with the Lightning's round nose intake on the square Tonka fuselage - should look very interesting!  :thumbsup:

The Wooksta!

Dave, I've a box full of Tornado wrecks and part starts that I *really* want to get rid of.  Any use?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

McColm

This has given me an idea for a future build  :thumbsup:

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 18, 2022, 03:09:31 AM
Dave, I've a box full of Tornado wrecks and part starts that I *really* want to get rid of.  Any use?

Very generous offer, Lee - will PM you.

kitbasher

Lightning cockpit, spine fairing and intake/radome fitted, wing/tailplane panel line scribing under way.  Some more prep work needed on the donor fin.

Lashings of plastic sheet and PSR to follow prior to adding the wings/tailplanes/fin, and I've just realised I've not added any nose weight - d'Oh!!  I think I can flood some Liquid Gravity and superglue into the nose via the still-open cockpit void.  If I make a blanking plate for the intake I can also hide some in the hole behind the intake

PR19_Kit

Someone should cast white metal pilots, that'd help sort out the noseweight issue.

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 31, 2022, 06:43:42 AM
Someone should cast white metal pilots, that'd help sort out the noseweight issue.

Good idea, Kit.  They'd help enhance those kit seats that are devoid of detail.