"Caçador" - Hawker Hunter in the PoAF - FINISHED - PAG.7

Started by DogfighterZen, June 28, 2022, 05:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

So, following the idea that the PoAF would keep buying British aircraft after WWII, this will be a simple build, OOB with PoAF markings. Still have to decide on the camo scheme. I'm divided between the normal Grey/Green RAF camo and the Singaporean camo, which looks similar to SEA camo.
I've had this in mind for a long time so, this GB is the perfect excuse to get it done. :mellow:
I still have to do some research to find out what it's real variant designation would be but, at the moment, the only mods i'm planning are regarding weapons, it's getting a pair of "Go get'em!" sticks and maybe, also a pair of "Boom bags"...  :wacko: ;D

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Tophe

Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 28, 2022, 05:57:15 AM
also a pair of "Boom bags"...  :wacko: ;D
Uh? At first sight, I thought I was reading "a pair of booms", twin-boom layout (yes! :thumbsup: ). But no, boom is also the sound of an explosion, or sonic barrier, this will be something else than the dream of mine. Maybe I will draw my interpretation as a joke, but the plastic model of yours will be THE subject here, of course. Sorry for my misreading. :unsure: <_<
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

The Wooksta!

I'd go with an FGA9 but using the inboard pylon from the F6, with 'winders on the inboard additional pylon, tanks on the inboard and 500lb bombs on the outers.

Basically, the Dutch option from the original release Revell F6, and the FGA9 tailpipe section and outer wing upper blisters. 

If you have the original blue box FGA9, it gives you the longer Sabrinas with integral chaff dispensers, but I don't know what year the Swiss got that upgrade to their aircraft.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

DogfighterZen

Great stuff, Lee!  :thumbsup: This is the one i have. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04186-hawker-hunter-fga9-mk58--105985
I haven't decided in which decade i want to represent it in but from what i've read, the Swiss Hunters got the chaff/flare dispensers added with the Hunter 80 upgrade during the 1980s but couldn't find a date. Not sure if this kit has the bigger sabrinas but, if not, i'll try to modify them.  :thumbsup:

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Tophe on June 28, 2022, 07:38:20 AM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 28, 2022, 05:57:15 AM
also a pair of "Boom bags"...  :wacko: ;D
Uh? At first sight, I thought I was reading "a pair of booms", twin-boom layout (yes! :thumbsup: ). But no, boom is also the sound of an explosion, or sonic barrier, this will be something else than the dream of mine. Maybe I will draw my interpretation as a joke, but the plastic model of yours will be THE subject here, of course. Sorry for my misreading. :unsure: <_<

Tophe, no need to apologise. I respect your atitude as you respect mine. :thumbsup:
Yes, i meant air to air missiles (go get'em sticks) and bombs (boom bags), these are just stupid names my childish mind likes to call them... :rolleyes: ;D

Tophe

Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 28, 2022, 10:02:32 PM
names my childish mind likes to call them... :rolleyes: ;D
Don't worry: all of us are somehow "guilty" of childish state of mind (we understand), as many ones pretend that building aircraft scale models (outside professional manufacturer universe) is toys for children only...
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

The Wooksta!

Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 28, 2022, 09:43:52 PM
Great stuff, Lee!  :thumbsup: This is the one i have. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04186-hawker-hunter-fga9-mk58--105985
I haven't decided in which decade i want to represent it in but from what i've read, the Swiss Hunters got the chaff/flare dispensers added with the Hunter 80 upgrade during the 1980s but couldn't find a date. Not sure if this kit has the bigger sabrinas but, if not, i'll try to modify them.  :thumbsup:

Yeah, that's the kit with them.  They should be on a sprue with various missiles and pylons, which also gives you the additional inboard pylon, which  goes inboard in front of the u/c bays.  For assembly, use the destructions for the mk 58.  I'll have to check the books, but I'm not sure if any Hunters carried actual bombs on the outer pylon.  Practice bomb carriers, yes.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Tophe on June 28, 2022, 10:08:33 PM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 28, 2022, 10:02:32 PM
names my childish mind likes to call them... :rolleyes: ;D
Don't worry: all of us are somehow "guilty" of childish state of mind (we understand), as many ones pretend that building aircraft scale models (outside professional manufacturer universe) is toys for children only...

Yep... sadly there are people that can't see beyond that but iIMHO, it's their loss... :wacko:

Quote from: The Wooksta! on June 29, 2022, 03:13:41 AM
Yeah, that's the kit with them.  They should be on a sprue with various missiles and pylons, which also gives you the additional inboard pylon, which  goes inboard in front of the u/c bays.  For assembly, use the destructions for the mk 58.  I'll have to check the books, but I'm not sure if any Hunters carried actual bombs on the outer pylon.  Practice bomb carriers, yes.

Cool! Thanks, Lee!  :thumbsup:
I haven't taken the kit out of the stash yet but i've just remembered and looked it up on the Super-hobby site, which has the pics of the sprues. Good to know, less work to be done. Too bad the F.6's sidewinder sprue isn't also included but, hey, can't have it all, can we?  ;D
No worries, though. I'm sure i have a pair of the correct launcher rails and missiles in the spares box. Regarding the bombs on the outboard pylons, i've seen a pic of a model of a Rhodesian Hunter with the 450kg Golf bomb on those pylons and a pair of drop tanks on the inboard pylons, nothing else.
Like i said, i think the loadout will be easier to determine once i decide if it's going to be finished as being used in the African colonial wars or in a later period.
If it's during the wars, i wanted to hang boom bags on it but if it's after, a couple of AAMs will do, i guess... There's plenty of time for that, no rush. :mellow:

PR19_Kit

Do you mean the little spiky bits sticking down at the rear of the Sabrinas Lee? Like this?

As the chaff dispensers I mean, sorry.

This came out off a 'Blue Box' FGA9 kit that I've had for some time now.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

No, those are the standard  Sabrinas, the enhanced ones are on a separate sprue, along with those weird Swiss Xmas tree missiles.  That's the standard sprue.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

Hmmm, mine doesn't seem to have those included, and it was a sealed box until I opened it a few hours ago.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 29, 2022, 09:45:52 AM
Hmmm, mine doesn't seem to have those included, and it was a sealed box until I opened it a few hours ago.

That's weird...  isn't there a sprue with Maverick missiles in that box? The sabrinas Lee's talking about are on the same sprue, see here: https://www.super-hobby.pt/products/Hawker-Hunter-FGA.9-Mk.58.html#gallery_start

Zero-Sen

AeroplaneDriver

Singapore had a centerline bomb rack too.  When I did my USAF Hunter a few years ago I added that.  It was basically a TER bolted directly to the belly.  The center station was not used due to ground clearance but the left and right shoulder stations could  accommodate a pair of 1000lb class bombs.

Pics in here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234933022-singaporean-hawker-hunter/
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 29, 2022, 04:28:52 PM

That's weird...  isn't there a sprue with Maverick missiles in that box? The sabrinas Lee's talking about are on the same sprue, see here: https://www.super-hobby.pt/products/Hawker-Hunter-FGA.9-Mk.58.html#gallery_start

Definitely not, it's a different box lid with an RAF FGA9. Both decal options are RAF machines.

Regards
Kit