Oshkosh M1300 HET

Started by PR19_Kit, June 23, 2022, 02:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

This won't be an actual build thread, well, it might become one eventually, but in months or YEARS even, but more about me grabbing info in this VAST machine.

The Hobby Boss kit is astonishing in that it seems to have EVERYthing included, even cup holders in the cab, and all the umpteen gearboxes etc. But, it doesn't have an engine!  :o

You'd have though that with all the bells and whistles a nicely detailed engine that you could see by opening the bonnet (hood...) would be the icing on the cake, but not so.

The British Army version uses a Caterpillar D18 straight six turbo-diesel, poking out 800 odd horsepower and over 2000 ft lbs of torque, so that's SOME engine! Now the question is, where would I find a 1/35 model of one? I'm sure one of the armour model suppliers would do something that looks close, but I haven't a CLUE about who those guys might be, so any ideas please?

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

I don't think you're going to find a Caterpillar C18 series in 1/35th scale, the closest is a 1/32nd
3-D print which is sort of a 3406 series, evidently the C18 is the same block as the 3406E/C15
so I suppose it could form the basis of a C18 for your purposes, but it's $30.00.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/M5D89SBJD/1-32nd-cat-type-diesel-engine-similar-to-3406?optionId=261793073&li=marketplace

Here's a beautiful 3-D CGI model of a marine single-turbo C18 that would be good to use as a guide.
https://www.renderhub.com/markos3d/cat-c18-acert-engine-3d-model
The gallery has twenty images.

PR19_Kit

I was certainly being optimistic there Jon, but thanks for the pointers to the 3D engine and the big pic gallery. I doubt anyone will know the difference if I use that 3D engine, apart from a British Army transporter driver.  ;D

But the prices that Shapeways put on their 'products' are always a shaker, but I may shell out for it anyway.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

frank2056

If you decide to go with the Shapeways engine, ask the maker if they can resize it to 1/35 for you.

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 24, 2022, 02:28:09 PM
I was certainly being optimistic there Jon, but thanks for the pointers to the 3D engine and the big pic gallery. I doubt anyone will know the difference if I use that 3D engine, apart from a British Army transporter driver.  ;D

But the prices that Shapeways put on their 'products' are always a shaker, but I may shell out for it anyway.

How much detail is going to be seen to tell the difference is also a consideration. I agree about getting it though, there would be a BIG hole if you dont fit an engine and if the supplied one is really different you need to change it. Besides you have/do cars and the like so you know how to add any necessary detaile that you might need.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Good points from both of you, thanks.

The M1300 is almost a cab-over design and while the bonnet (hood....) comes off much of the mechanics is almost IN the cab, so I reckon only some of the engine would be visible anyway. But the thing is SO complicated that I'll have to build a large chink of it before it'll become obvious how much of it will be seen.

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: frank2056 on June 24, 2022, 05:49:44 PM
If you decide to go with the Shapeways engine, ask the maker if they can resize it to 1/35 for you.

I've found that the makers are usually very accommodating when asked if they can re-scale an item. The 1/72 2015 Dodge Ram I bought was originally 1/76 scale. Also check the option of what the item is printed in material wise, most times you see the 'high definition' price shown, but there's usually a cheaper one. Harro was particularly helpful in re-scaling his 1/144 Nimrod AEW radomes for me.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Good to know Robert, thanks.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Ooooh yes, that looks PERFECT, even if it is for the US Army version. But I'm sure I could adapt it.

Sadly it seems it's discontinued (Story of my life....) but it's a good target to aim for, many thanks.

You're definitely my 'Go To Engine' man Fred.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Apparently it's still available from the manufacturers, but they can't ship to the UK '.......because of current HMRC VAT restrictions....'  :banghead:

I feel a letter to my MP coming on...............

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 26, 2022, 06:01:46 AM
Apparently it's still available from the manufacturers, but they can't ship to the UK '.......because of current HMRC VAT restrictions....'  :banghead:

And there are always backroom deals with some of our members on the Continent.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Yes, I hadn't thought of that, silly of me.

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 26, 2022, 06:01:46 AM

A chap I know in Hexham regularly travels  to  Newry   in the course of his work.  He gets things like this shipped to a mate in  Dundalk and then collects them when he next goes over there.     Do any of us know people either side of the border?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Actually yes...............  ;)

Regards
Kit