Flugzeugmutterschiffe

Started by Geoff, June 21, 2022, 02:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

So the Kaiserliche Marine experimented with float plane and land plane aircraft carriers in WW1, and did use a 4000 ton ship  in the baltic.
I am thinking of using a 1/350th model of the SMS Dresden with a launching deck forward and a long landing deck aft with hangers fore and aft (maybe).
But I think I will have to mod some USN biplane models as there aren't Albatros available.
Just wondering how they got the land planes from the rear to the forward deck so they could take off again?? Perhaps a BIG crane?

PR19_Kit

HMS Furious had a configuration like that during one of its umpteen gestations, and it had little taxiways around the funnels and superstructure to get the aircraft from the stern to do the foredeck.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Geoff

Ah that is an idea might try that. The artwork for the German ship seems to have a very big crane to swing the planes from one deck to the other

Geoff

Just re read Republik Kiautschou and realised they had both Dresden and Emden - - - Thinks - - - Hmm

Captain Canada

Always fun ideas. Like everything I've had too many aircraft/boat ideas, and recently threw  a couple in the bin. Didn't want to, and still regret it....so this place ain't much of a help lol. I do love the idea Geoff and defo encourage others to go right ahead !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

perttime

How long did it take people to get the idea to put the superstructure towards one side?

... I spot a spelling mistake in the title. Surely it should be "Flugzeugmutterschiffe".

scooter

Quote from: Geoff on June 21, 2022, 03:55:26 PM
Just re read Republik Kiautschou and realised they had both Dresden and Emden - - - Thinks - - - Hmm

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

This being Whiffworld, there's always the possibility that 1) The Kaiserliche Marine had a third Dresden-class light cruiser in home waters, 2) von Spee didn't head back to Kaiutschou, but pressed on to Coronel and the Falklands, and the Dresden survived both battles and successfully ran the blockade.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Geoff

Quote from: perttime on June 21, 2022, 09:15:02 PM
How long did it take people to get the idea to put the superstructure towards one side?

... I spot a spelling mistake in the title. Surely it should be "Flugzeugmutterschiffe".

HMS Hermes 1924 had the first off set island.
Spelling corrected - Thanks

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Geoff on June 22, 2022, 03:45:52 AM

To be very JMN-ish the Hermes was the first carrier designed and built with a side island, the Japanse Hosho was the first to be commissioned and sailed with one. That was mainly because of the Admiralty's dithering about the Hermes' design and some of the usual mergers and sell-offs in the British shipbuilding world.

Then there was HMS Argus of course, which was ahead of both of them, but it didn't have an island at all!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Geoff

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 22, 2022, 03:53:45 AM
Quote from: Geoff on June 22, 2022, 03:45:52 AM

To be very JMN-ish the Hermes was the first carrier designed and built with a side island, the Japanse Hosho was the first to be commissioned and sailed with one. That was mainly because of the Admiralty's dithering about the Hermes' design and some of the usual mergers and sell-offs in the British shipbuilding world.

Then there was HMS Argus of course, which was ahead of both of them, but it didn't have an island at all!

Yes that's right.

At least I don't have to scratch build arrestor hooks in 1/350th scale (First demonstrated in 1911)

Geoff

Quote from: scooter on June 22, 2022, 01:19:31 AM

This being Whiffworld, there's always the possibility that 1) The Kaiserliche Marine had a third Dresden-class light cruiser in home waters, 2) von Spee didn't head back to Kaiutschou, but pressed on to Coronel and the Falklands, and the Dresden survived both battles and successfully ran the blockade.

Or the RKM had the worlds first carrier battle group - just a thought. Also if you look at the naval aviation advances made by Japan immediately after WW1 perhaps in response to the RKM's innovation which was very carefully watched and was one of the reasons for their neutrality being respected ?

scooter

Quote from: Geoff on June 22, 2022, 04:05:39 AM
Quote from: scooter on June 22, 2022, 01:19:31 AM

Or the RKM had the worlds first carrier battle group - just a thought. Also if you look at the naval aviation advances made by Japan immediately after WW1 perhaps in response to the RKM's innovation which was very carefully watched and was one of the reasons for their neutrality being respected ?

Might make for an interesting conversion of the 2(?) Indefatigable class BCs the RKM bought drom the RN during the early part of the Naval Treaty era.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 22, 2022, 03:53:45 AM

Argus had a dinky little pop-up "pilot house"..............which I'm sure someone here will try to model in working form!

Hawkins too  was rather like one of the earlier iterations of Furious.   Eventually, Furious  Glorious  and Courageous ( initially known to Jolly Jack  as the Spurious, Curious and Outrageous)  became "proper" carriers.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on June 22, 2022, 11:50:30 AM

Argus had a dinky little pop-up "pilot house"..............which I'm sure someone here will try to model in working form!

Should be just about visible in 1/700 scale.  ;D

Regards
Kit