Flight Of The Buccaneer-Completed

Started by AeroplaneDriver, June 10, 2022, 09:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

The moment that is the highlight of my modeling year!  Midnight on the OWGB start day! 

After much debate today I stuck with the plan I've had in mind for about 3 weeks.

I'm not 100% sure on the markings or even nationality she will be but for now the most developed, if not most original backstory involves this little beauty going on a rogue mission to take out SAM City in Hanoi in late '72.

Naturally Petula Clark will be playing as I cut first plastic. 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

NARSES2

I just got my boxing of that kit out and I wouldn't attempt it in a "One Month Build"  ;D

I admire your enthusiasm  :bow: :bow: and am looking forward to it  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

AeroplaneDriver

Four hours of work tonight. I'm very much a Night Owl when not working and SWMBO is away.  Looking like a Bucc.

I must say this kit is an engineering dream.  If the 1/48 one is just this one scaled up I'll be flinging money at Mr Airfix sometime soon. I'll be surprised if I use any filler on this. 

It feels weird to see a Bucc with a cockpit that isn't black but we all know the USN specced a Dark Gull Gray 'pit.

zenrat

Mines going to be French with Exocets.

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 11, 2022, 12:50:42 AM
I just got my boxing of that kit out and I wouldn't attempt it in a "One Month Build"  ;D

I admire your enthusiasm  :bow: :bow: and am looking forward to it  :thumbsup:

Second that.  You'll be fine, go for it.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

AeroplaneDriver

A little over 24 hours in.  Construction mostly done and ready give her a primer coat before bed.  A few parts left off to ease painting/masking.

After my initial "Flight Of the Intruder" replacement plan I'm now thinking maybe a little later.  Found that one of the cheap decal sheets from Hannants last week has some China Lake A-7 decals on it so now wondering how she'd look as a testbed with some orange panels and either a Harpoon or HARM hanging off a pylon.

Gondor

Test bed sounds good, also helps with the back story where the operator only bought a few and used them for test purposes. This helps confused punters at shows as they are more comfortable and releived that their knowlage of operational aircraft was correct when faced with an out of place aircraft.
Starting to wonder of you or Dizzy will finish first   :o

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

Of COURSE.  Flight of the Intruder.

D'oh!  :banghead:

I've been thinking the reference was to Purple's Flight of the Rat (which is now firmly installed on my cerebral jukebox).

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

AeroplaneDriver

Thought I maybe had a shot at finishing this in 48 hours bit have a bit of a cold this weekend (negative COVID!) so modeling a little slower.  49 hours in and she's almost ready for a panel wash then getting the gear, tanks, missiles, fiddly bits on and she'll be ready. Hopefully tomorrow. 

Anyhoo, here she is an obligatory "in progress, almost done" pic.

US Navy Blackburn/Vought A-7 Buccaneer. 

PR19_Kit

Yes, Vought would just about be the right odd-ball partner for those nutters at Brough.  ;D

That's looking VERY good already.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Mossie

Short work! Would take me a week just to think about building it!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

AeroplaneDriver

Well here she is.  Quite a lovely kit.  Not cheap at all but I'll be on the lookout for another for an OOB RN build. 

Backstory is still being written so I'll post in the "Finished" thread once it's done. 

US Navy Blackburn/Vought A-7C Buccaneer AGM-84 Harpoon test aircraft, Naval Weapons Center-China Lake c.1978.