1/35 Flying Platform

Started by frank2056, June 08, 2022, 05:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

I was reading about flying platforms from the 1960s, and decided I wanted to model and print one in 3D. The Williams X-Jet seemed fairly easy to model, mainly because it didn't have a large, visible fan.
I decided that a larger, modern version of the X-Jet - with better engines and modern electronics - would be feasible, so I drew up a design in Rhino:

I had other projects on my workbench and computer, so this one languished for a while. I printed it today and was surprised that it came out OK. I printed two copies and other than the exhaust grate breaking off and other minor issues, both are almost buildable as is.

Here are the parts after washing and curing. I'm using Siraya Simple resin, which is - on paper - a pretty easy to use resin since it can be washed with some alcohol and water. My wash and cure machine tank is full of denatured alcohol (which is too strong for this resin), so I had to clean the parts by hand:

Some of the supports are too thick, others are in wrong or inconvenient spots, but overall, not bad.

Here are the parts tacked together:

I knocked the two joysticks off because I thought they were part of the supports.

With Pierre (a 1/35 3D scan of a real person from Reedoak) modeling for a size reference:

I think I'll simplify the design a bit and adjust the supports when slicing for printing. I may glue everything together to get an idea of what works best.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Wardukw

Thats so cool Frank ..not ya normal way to fly and i like that  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Looking neat  :thumbsup:

I can remember some newsreel footage about these type of things from back in the day, mainly US Army usage.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

frank2056

Here's a video of the real thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXNNc_HFodI

This video shows the original engine installation and operation:

https://youtu.be/YV0NKeXWC-c?t=171

PR19_Kit

That's amazing, he makes it look so easy!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

frank2056

I printed a slightly modified version and picked the best of the two prints to build. I painted it "Equipment Yellow" with Mission Models acrylic paint, which worked great... until it clogged my airbrush, even though I was following their instructions and using their thinner. I paint almost exclusively with acrylics and this paint was almost as annoying as Testor's Acryl.

The platform is about half way finished. Front view, with the bucket resting on the skids. The engines aren't glued in, so there's a gap around the intakes:

Side view:

Top view. The fuel tanks have some print artifacts - I left them because they look like either insulation or a fire retardant blanket. The decals are from the ancient Tamiya M113. The two "pins" at the rear were a "sprue" I added to keep the entry way from closing on itself as it cured. I broke off the resin version and may replace it with either PE or plastic, to represent a simple crew restraint system (so the pilot doesn't accidentally fall out in flight).

Instrument panel  as it dries. The panel is 10 mm wide. I copied and pasted the joystick design from an M151 style control station I'm designing for another project. The displays are supposed to be LCDs displaying status dials The display decals are from either a US or Russian 1/32 jet instrument panel decal set. All five switches at the lower right printed, which is amazing to me:

Here it is next to an unpainted copy (still on its supports):

Next is more decals, fully attach parts and fix some painting issues.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

frank2056

The first flying platform is finished. Over at BTS, Ramba posted an image of  Ukrainian flag decals and this inspired me to repaint the upper half in light blue.

I changed the instrument panel on this one to the original design and added a windscreen. You don't want to eat bugs when flying at high speed:

I also added navigation lights. The light tan rectangle under the windscreen is supposed to be the cover for a ballistic parachute, for emergencies. It could be a radar, too. The date 2205 was supposed to be 2206 - the year and month when I finished the model. Close enough:

And with the French dude who could not care less (I really should finish painting him):

The second copy is currently in dark metallic colors.

Wardukw

Holy chicken pickles Batman!!!
I agree with Chris and Kit..GASP!!
Dude the instrument panel looks surpurb ..paint it great..yeah man im a wee bit dumb struck here.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Suits that scheme perfectly  :bow: