Vickers Viscount ECM.Mk.3 - Work In Progress

Started by Knightflyer, June 04, 2022, 12:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knightflyer

Well this one is progressing slowly. Didn't help that I started the undersides with the wrong grey - but there you go!  ;D

It'll hopefully look better as the detail is picked out etc

Oh to be whiffing again :-(

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Knightflyer

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 04, 2022, 12:08:36 PM
Nice!  Aircraft in Miniature has a number of Viscount conversions like this in 1/72 scale. For their Rug Rats Viscount.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=309417&code=&product_type_id=&scale_id=956&keyword_search=Viscount&setPerPage=25&currency_id=

I know, I've looked at them and drooled, unfortunately they are in 1/72nd scale and my kit (the S&M special) is in 1/144  :-\

The Wooksta!

I scored for a Rugrats 72nd Viscount at Telford last year for £30. Absolute beauty.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Wardukw

This is very cool  ;D
So good seeing a Viscount again..im pretty sure it was one of these i flew to Wellington in when i was a youngin .
Im liking where this is going  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

Oddly I'm looking at one of those kits right now.

Not sure what I'll do with it but............  ;)

That's a neat idea and it's coming on well.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Well considering my condition, mine is very likely to be available Kit. PM me if you're interested, it's a 700.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

I like it ! Always a fan of lumps and bumps.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Knightflyer

Well a little more work done  - Undercarriage painted and wheels added. Cowlings painted. A couple more "lumps'n'bumps" added and more paint to upper and lower surfaces. Electronic detail picked out in a couple of places but I think Humbrol 164 might be too dark, especially on the lower fuselage radome?

Wardukw

To me anyway it looks good .. breaks up all   solid colour..add more bits painted in 164 and it will look like a 2 tone camo  ;D
Could just paint to match thr lower and then just pin line around it to shows its there.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Knightflyer

Okay - I'm aiming this question at the Learned Gentlemen of this Esteemed Establishment (yes I mean you lot!  ;D)

I was going to use the ECM designation on this aircraft, but from what I can see (admittedly a brief perusal) the only other UK forces aircraft I can see with that designation is a version of the Gannet, so is I'm guessing it's correctly used for electronic defence suppression? I'm guessing that the Viscount would more correctly be an E.Mk.3 (or whatever number I decide to give it) ?

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

ECM = Electronic Counter-Measures
ELINT = Electronic Intelligence (Information & Data Gathering)
AEW = Airborne Early Warning (basically a Flying Radar Picket)
AEW&C = Airborne Early Warning & Control (a Flying Radar Picket with the added/primary capability of controlling the defenders' response to incursions by unfriendly forces)
AWACS = Airborne Warning & Control System (basically the US version of AEW&C)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

In the RAF just 'E' covers a multitude of electronic sins though, so it could cover lots of Womby's listed tasks.

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

Yes, the RAF managed to get a lot of mileage out of the letter 'E' didn't they  ;D

It'd be electronic intelligence (signals) gathering, so I think that firmly sits under the 'E' umbrella - ELINT as such

Of course I could paint it in tactical camouflage and have it leading a strike package in as an ECM.4  :o ;D