Blue Thunder - Operation THOR

Started by DogfighterZen, May 03, 2022, 12:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

For those of you who don't know, Blue Thunder was a fictional helicopter from the 1983 movie "Operation THOR" and since i saw that helo a couple of years later(i was 3 years old when the movie came out), i wanted to have one. I'm sure that if i had one back then, it wouldn't have lasted long... :rolleyes:
So, almost 40 years later, i finally have one in my cabinet and all i can say is that i almost feel 40 years younger... ;D
I had been posting pics of the build in my blog thread but i thought it would be better to include those pics in this thread too for those who didn't see them and for the sake of completion. :mellow:

Using the Monogram 1/32 kit, one of the first things i did was scratch up a fire extinguisher and modify some of the buttons and knobs...

Cockpit tub and IP...

Aft firewall and overhead panel ready... I ended up tossing the seat cushions as they were too big and would also raise the pilot figure too much...

This build had a few interesting bits... I always like to have crew figures in my models and with a 1/32 kit, that was mandatory so, after looking for suitable figures to depict the characters from the movie, the pilot Frank Murphy played by Roy Scheider and J.A.F.O. Richard Lymangood played by Daniel Stern, i couldn't find any that would fit the bill so, i decided to finally use the Magic Sculp stuff i'd bought back in 2015 and sculpt both figures.
I did my homework and found the right size for a 5'6" male in 1/32 scale and also used the helmet that comes in the kit to keep everything in check.

Using what's at hand, the sprue bits were base for the rest of the sculptures. Half Murphy almost done... ;D

The helmet was also modified to represent the helmet used with the "Harrison Fire Control System" which was supposed to be something like the Apache's IHADSS.

Murphy's ready to go... :mellow:

Lymangood on his way... looks like he's saying "Hey Frank, hold up! What does J.A.F.O. mean?"  ;D ;D

And here are both in the pit and Lymangood insists... Murphy's answer:"You'll find out, just be patient..."

Next were a few mods to make some parts more accurate compared to the movie's chopper...

One of my Monogram kits came without the gun and IRST pod's mast or whatever it's called so i got some strips of styrene and used the other kit's part as a template to scratch one up for this build.

The gun... all i can say is that i think it's the worst part of this kit, it's just bad, very bad... When i saw it for the first time, i knew i had to do something and i decided to buy a Master turned brass 1/32 M61 Vulcan gun and adapt it on the kit... I was lucky as it was an almost perfect fit and i had no clue about the size of the M61 when i bought it... ;D

Another part that was going to need work was the sensor pod so, i cut out the window and use bits of thin clear plastic from something that was on the recycling bin.  :rolleyes:
I also used a bit of round clear sprue for the sensor's lens, painted with Tamiya clear blue.

Everything was ready for paint...

So, after a year and 2 failed paint jobs because the shade of blue was either too light or too dark, i bought a couple of colors that were recommended on a build thread i found on another forum and finally got the blue mix closer to what the real one was like.
That got me a bit cheered up but then there was the decal issue. Both of the original sheets i had were ruined and i went through a bunch of options in my head but, i finally found help from a fellow modeller who has a ALPS printer and was willing to print the whole set of stencils and numbers. The decals he sent me were even more complete than the original Monogram sheets.
The fact that he sent me multiple sheets blew my mind... i have enough decals for at least another 5 Blue Thunder kits! :o It was his generosity that made it possible for me to finish what was one of my Holy Grail kits and i'm forever grateful.  :bow: :bow: :bow:

Well, i think that's enough for the build so, here are the pics of The Blue Beast! ;D

Ok, the hero of the movie is done so now it's time to start on another Blue Thunder related project, the conversion of an OH-6A into the Hughes 500D that was the BT's final adversary in the movie... :mellow:

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Wardukw

Bloody hell Doddy dude  :thumbsup:
The best looking Blue Thunder model ive seen and the crew are way above my level of building skill.
Funny thing...here Blue Thunder was called Blue Thunder at the movies and if you can find it on dvd it still is  ;D
You did the exact same thing with the vulcan that i was going to do..replace it with a PE one ..looks so much better ..ive already made 4 of those guns for a model tank i made for a dude..its on here from many yrs ago.
Awesome build mate  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

The Wooksta!

Blue Thunder was a film first, and then they decided it could be a series and watered it down.  Loved it at the time, I now feel it's unwatchable, whereas the film is remarkably prescient and still has something to say.

I'd like to see your take on the AMT/ERTL Airwolf.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

MiB

Oh My God!! Blue Thunder is one of my favourite movie!! I create some what-if repaints for FSX model ;)
Good job, well done!!! :wub: :wub: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on May 03, 2022, 01:15:21 PM
Bloody hell Doddy dude  :thumbsup:
The best looking Blue Thunder model ive seen and the crew are way above my level of building skill.
Funny thing...here Blue Thunder was called Blue Thunder at the movies and if you can find it on dvd it still is  ;D
You did the exact same thing with the vulcan that i was going to do..replace it with a PE one ..looks so much better ..ive already made 4 of those guns for a model tank i made for a dude..its on here from many yrs ago.
Awesome build mate  ;D

Thank you, Phil!  :bow:
Probably not the best build of the BT out there but i did try to do the best i can on this model. I've learned some more lessons and pushed me out of my comfort zone with all the sculpting and scratching. :thumbsup:
I am very pleased with how it came out and i can't wait to have the 500D on the bench.
That one will probably also get a pair of brass guns too. :mellow:
If you can find it, please share the link for that tank build, 4 vulcans on a tank... that i have to see!  :thumbsup:
I think that they used the full name of "Blue Thunder-Operation Thor" because the movie only came to Portuguese  theatres after the TV show and the full name differenciated the TV series from the movie.

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 03, 2022, 02:29:46 PM
Blue Thunder was a film first, and then they decided it could be a series and watered it down.  Loved it at the time, I now feel it's unwatchable, whereas the film is remarkably prescient and still has something to say.

I'd like to see your take on the AMT/ERTL Airwolf.

My thoughts exactly! :thumbsup: I used to watch the TV series, which was what introduced me to the BT. I also loved the series but now... :rolleyes: I did find it online available for download, which i did. I have not managed to watch the full series again, made it to the start of the second episode... ;D
Also have the movie but the quality isn't very good so i normally watch it on Netflix. :mellow:
Well, Airwolf was one that escaped me when i was a kid so it wasn't the same as Blue Thunder when i became aware of it.
Still, i'd like to build one but the AMT kit is very rare and hard to find at reasonable prices.
I did think about ordering the Aoshima kit but that is also very expensive, and even more so because it's coming from outside the EU and customs will charge me an arm and a leg to clear it. :banghead:
I will buy one if i get the chance but it's going to be hard to find one at a price i can afford to pay. :-\

Quote from: MiB on May 03, 2022, 02:47:31 PM
Oh My God!! Blue Thunder is one of my favourite movie!! I create some what-if repaints for FSX model ;)
Good job, well done!!! :wub: :wub: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you, mate!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
BT was my childhood favorite series and the movie, like Lee said, is still a very interesting movie, no matter what special effects are available at the movie studios today.
The acting, the stunts, all the top notch helo flying... I think i must have watched it at least over 20 times by now... ;D
Where can i see some of those whif schemes you do for the BT?
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

The Wooksta!

Hobbycraft released a Bell 222B that was either from the same moulds or copies of the AMT kit.  Some bits were missing from the Airwolf option, but you got two crew figures that are not in the AMT release.  May not be too easy to find, but it's another option.

There was another kit, by a Chinese outfit called Kitech, but I never got one - I have a pair of the Hobbycraft** ones, and the Aoshima* new (2010) tool - so I can't speak for the quality.  Supposedly another copy of the AMT.

**Aoshima have several boxings of Airwolf, all 48th.  One is a diecast, looks to be a metal AMT. Then there's a copy of the AMT in plastic, then there's the new tool, which has a more accurate shape and better internal detail.  Very pricey though.

** Reserved for an Airwolf AH70K "Grey Lady" in RAF colours, probably Medium Sea Grey and Light Aircraft grey, plus an Airwolf II or "Redwolf"
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

DogfighterZen

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 03, 2022, 03:24:11 PM
Hobbycraft released a Bell 222B that was either from the same moulds or copies of the AMT kit.  Some bits were missing from the Airwolf option, but you got two crew figures that are not in the AMT release.  May not be too easy to find, but it's another option.

There was another kit, by a Chinese outfit called Kitech, but I never got one - I have a pair of the Hobbycraft** ones, and the Aoshima* new (2010) tool - so I can't speak for the quality.  Supposedly another copy of the AMT.

**Aoshima have several boxings of Airwolf, all 48th.  One is a diecast, looks to be a metal AMT. Then there's a copy of the AMT in plastic, then there's the new tool, which has a more accurate shape and better internal detail.  Very pricey though.

** Reserved for an Airwolf AH70K "Grey Lady" in RAF colours, probably Medium Sea Grey and Light Aircraft grey, plus an Airwolf II or "Redwolf"

Yup, i've seen those kits, Kitech included but at the moment, all out of my price range. But i will keep looking, maybe i get lucky and find a kit at a good price one of these days.
Please post those Airwolf builds on here when you get them done, those ideas sound very interesting. :thumbsup:

Wardukw

Your most welcome Zen mate  ;D
Today i watched a vid on youi tube on thr little bird and it showed the newest version and be glad you aint building that mate  :lol:
The new verison has larger doors..a 6 bladed main rotor and the tail rotor is at a down ward angle ..looks like its vroken or bent  :lol: oh and thats 4 bladed too..it looks like a smaller verison of the AH64s one.
Ill go hunting for the tank Zen..its in the armour section on here  and hell i dont even remember what i called thr thing  :lol:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Wardukw

Doggy dude i cant paste a link from my phone cause its a massive pain in the sitting down area but i did a reply on the post..its at the top of the lists in the armour section  :thumbsup:

DogfighterZen

Ya, i've seen the newer versions... they're not as pretty as the earlier ones...  ;D that one would be hard to pull off starting from the OH-6... and i'm not even sure if i'll be able to do it as it is but, i'll try... :mellow:
Thanks, i'll have a look over there. :thumbsup:

Wardukw

Well im pretty sure your gonna do a pretty good job bud  ;D
Ya know i looked pretty damn close of the MH6 in the vid and i apart from the tail and main rotors i could see bugger all difference even with the widened doors .
Course the hardest part of the build are the things which stick out the most.

PR19_Kit

That's one awesome build DZ, specially with all the extra stuff you've added to it.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

philp

Very nice build and love the crew.

Blue Thunder was a fun movie back when it came out.  I passed on the Monogram kit when it was released and on the Kitech version (they were $9.99 US) as just not my scale.

Good luck on the Defender.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Devilfish

Sounds like an amazing build. I say "sounds" as I can't see a single picture.... :-\

I remember building this kit way back when, in the 80's, and I'd love another, or even better, a 1/48 Aoshima one to go with my Airwolf...
20190812_223659 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on May 03, 2022, 01:15:21 PM
The best looking Blue Thunder model ive seen

Second that, it looks really great - and the figures are a perfect addition. I really like it a lot, well done!  :thumbsup:  :bow: