Covid RC build

Started by Wardukw, April 06, 2022, 07:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

During the last lockdown we had here in NZ a mate of mine asked me to build him a RC boat from this old as hell fiber glass hull he had knocking around ,,i had to strip the hull of the million coats of paint it had on it which had all been painted with a brush ,,so terrible is a wee understatement .
Once i had primed it the work began,,the deck is just  5mm ply which i found laying around at the camp..the deck house is just thinner ply which used to be doors to storage
lockers in caravans and are only like 3mm thick..the funnel is just PVC pipe heated to shape with my heat gun ..the bow is the remains of a dead tower heater and again shaped with my heat gun .,,windows and doors are pieces of balsa ..
20210827_173816 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
20210827_173903 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
20210827_173919 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
A very simple RC install ..
20210827_174044 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
The heli pad again is just ply..dowels and balsa wood..and about 12 feet of copper wire all soldered together..
20210907_142637 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
20210907_142649 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Dew to the fact i couldnt find the right size net i needed i just made it out of one length of string at a time and where the string crossed another a bit of super glue held it in place .
20210913_085739 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
20210917_101426 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
20210917_101440 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
The first mast which i never liked ..
20210907_143141 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Time to throw some paint on this thing ..
20210907_142816 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
20210907_142828 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
20210907_142943 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
The eagle eyed amongst you will noticed the hull aint painted any more ,,one rule,,never let your mate buy cheap nasty paint ..i painted it white over primer which had sat for 2 weeks and the same brand paint reacted but not in a way youd think,,a small breeze blew the paper id used to tape off the hull with onto the paint which had already sat in the sun for over 2 hrs ,,this is quick dry to by the way ,,and the paper dug right into the paint right thru to the fiber glass,,so i stripped the entire hull and i made him go buy paint which is 5 times more expensive than the crap he brought .
Life rafts made from copper tube and wooden bungs which get used to cover screws in shelves and stuff..
20210907_215520 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Then the plans changed ,,he thought it would be cool if this thing was a fire fighting boat ,,so i had to make the monitors which id never made before and once i had plenty of pics and figured out just how in hell i was going to build em i went to work..their made from soft alloy tubes from a BBQ and bits of plastic and solder ,,
20210919_091242 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
20210919_091400 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
20210919_091424 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
20210924_161521 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
20210924_161531 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
20210924_161700 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
And then after a months worth of work its all done and ready for her first time trip to the water ..by the way..goes very well  :thumbsup:
20210924_161555 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
The new mast i like ten times more ..the radar domes are the tops of shuttle cocks .
20210924_161717 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
20210924_161813 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Her name means fire fighter ,,if i remember right  :lol:
20210924_212637 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Flyer

"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Old Wombat

Found parts scratch building genius, Phill! Fantastic! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Thanks guys..considering i dont do ship's now and havent for a very long time  this was ok ..the last ship i built was a Billings Boats HMS Victory that i made for my dad.
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

McColm

Rick Lowe

Really cool, Phil - impressive amount and quality of work on the Water guns and the netting!  :thumbsup:
And the use of a storage container as a waterproof box for the workings is so simple and yet genius. The sort of thing that makes me wish I'd thought of it...  ;)

Wardukw

Thank ya matey  ;D
The tupperware container ive always used for my RC boats..cheap and air tight ..hot glue sticks to it well and its good to drill but still gotta be careful tho..it will crack .
Yeah i gotta admit those turned out better than i thought they would ..oh one thing i forgot to mention the bases for thr big guns are also parts of a old bbq ..the hoses are hair ties ..find them all over the camp for some reason  ;D and some copper wire for good measure.
Bout 5 hrs work on the net's mate ..one piece of string at a time but it was a lock down so who cared  :lol:

McColm

Well done, does it float?

Wardukw

McColm mate it does float and moves..has a ESC in it for power and a high tourqe
servo for steering running with a 50mm prop .
I custom built the entire drive line..prop shaft..which i had to grind high grade brass rod down with a file stuck in a cordless drill to fit the propeller ..the rudder ..steering system and control box..a great time waster during a lock down .

zenrat

Awesome.

I've seen some RC model fireships with pumps and working monitors.  Is this one of them?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Wardukw

Yip seen them too and nope this aint one of them matey  ;D...would have been possible in normal times but would have cost me mate more than he wanted to spend.
He only had a 2 channel radio and he would have needed at least a 4 and if he wanted the monitors to move then at least a 8 channel then all the extra servos needed.. pumps and all the other gizmos needed too.
So this is purely for looks.

Captain Canada

That is awesome ! Any pics of her in action ? Cheers
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Wardukw

Nope Cap'n ..sorry about that..didnt think of it at the time..the dude who owns it has moved on from the camp so ill probably never see it again .

And thanks matey  ;D ..bloody good way to kill a month  :lol: