WhatIF SIG UK History

Started by PR19_Kit, March 29, 2022, 11:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I tried to post this in the UK SIG pages, but there's no 'New Topic' menu item there, so I'll have to open it to a wider audience.....

Which year was the notorious Peterborough Nationals when the WhatIf Sig was formed please? Yeah, I KNOW I was there, but I'm damned if I can remember which year it was, sometime in the late 80s or early 90s I think.  :-\

And what was the name of the original SIG secretary, a tall blonde or read haired guy who was an excellent car modeller as well?

I'd like to know the date for my Kolumn in the forthcoming SIG Newsletter.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Before my time, but I'm guessing at 1992, as the first time I saw the SIG was when Ian Hartup was displaying at the Northern show in '93.  I joined a year later at Donnington. I also met you for the first time that day.

From what I've heard, the initial members were Ian Hartup (viva el presidente!), Hayden of the USAF SIG, Ian Crawford, and Terry Campion.  You must have been Red Five, as SIG's and branches need five to get started.

Hope that's of some help.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

It is Lee, LOTS of help, thanks so much.  :thumbsup:

Mike McEvoy and I were there as well, but I was late, having come over on the Hook-Harwich ferry that morning, and had to park in the town centre and get there by bus!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Can't help with the info I'm afraid Kit, way before my time, but to open a new topic you just open it in whichever of the existing sub-headings you feel it fits best into. Or am I misunderstanding something ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 30, 2022, 05:43:37 AM

Or am I misunderstanding something ?

Yes.  ;D

I needed the info for the Kolumn that I sent you last night, and Lee came up with BOTH answers in one post.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Me branch secretary calls me the diary.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 30, 2022, 08:27:19 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on March 30, 2022, 05:43:37 AM

Or am I misunderstanding something ?

Yes.  ;D

I needed the info for the Kolumn that I sent you last night, and Lee came up with BOTH answers in one post.  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.