Forum Software Upgrade completed - 20th August

Started by overscan, March 28, 2022, 01:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

overscan

SimpleMachines has finally released version 2.1, after an extended development period of 11 years. It isn't a massive upgrade for users, so not too much should change.

New features for users
A new WYSIWYG editor, SCEditor
Real-time alerts in addition to email notifications
A new default theme with full support for mobile devices
Draft messages (you can save & resume later)
Mentions using @name syntax
Drag & drop attachments
Attachments can be embedded directly into post text

New features for moderators and administrators
An improved Administrator Control Panel
Support for moderator groups, not just individuals
Many security enhancements, including support for optional Two Factor Authentication
IPv6 support
Designed with GDPR support

I will be upgrading the forum to this latest version and at the same time upgrading the host server to the latest operating system. Admins will get access to the new site for testing shortly.

Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

jcf

I'm looking at doing the same over on BtS.
I'll follow with interest.  ;)

overscan

My first test attempt, the upgrade got stuck part way through. I'm going to try again now. This is why we test these things before doing them for real :)
"What if?" addict

Old Wombat

Be nice if our IT department thought the same way! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rheged

Quote from: zenrat on April 02, 2022, 04:59:33 AM

The famous "Three Pin Reset".  In my last office, problems were often solved that way.. If not, Darren arrived from IT and vanished under your desk muttering technological spells.     He is, on one occasion, reported to have muttered  "Why didn't Dell just make knitting machines?"
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Gondor

Quote from: Rheged on April 02, 2022, 10:54:31 AM
Quote from: zenrat on April 02, 2022, 04:59:33 AM

The famous "Three Pin Reset".  In my last office, problems were often solved that way.. If not, Darren arrived from IT and vanished under your desk muttering technological spells.     He is, on one occasion, reported to have muttered  "Why didn't Dell just make knitting machines?"

It's when the IT guy mutters about PICNIC that you have to worry as that stands for

Problem
In
Chair
Not
In
Computer

;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

overscan

Fixed the first problem with the upgrade, now stuck on a second issue. Haven't actually got to see the new software in action yet :(
"What if?" addict

overscan

"What if?" addict

Steel Penguin

something seems to be off im afraid, the speed of the Forum has plumeted like a stone, and the layout and fonts have gone very odd.
sorry overscan i dont evan know how to describe the effect.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

overscan

I haven't upgraded this forum at all. I am talking about a test upgrade on a different server (test.whatifmodellers.com which is not publicly accessible)
"What if?" addict

overscan

Apologies - looks like I accidentally changed a setting on the original site which broke the forum style. Should be good now.
"What if?" addict

overscan

Some pictures. Haven't customised any colours or anything this is strictly "out of the box".

Index

Viewing a topic

Post editor

User mentions

Anyone who wants to give it a try out is welcome to contact me for access on the proviso you do have to give feedback.
"What if?" addict

Steel Penguin

thank you for the prompt response overscan,  and the fix, evrything is back to how it was.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

perttime

Earlier today, trying to enter via https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?action=unread , my browser was trying to connect to test.whatifmodellers.com

Now, things look as usual.