Irish Gloster Javelin

Started by The Rat, March 25, 2022, 08:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

I dedicate this build to the late Paul Brown, aka Phoenix54 on this forum, who was a Javelin aficionado.

by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

If Operation Green had been carried out... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Green_(Ireland)

Operation Green, the Nazi invasion of Ireland in 1941, was a tactical and strategic failure, despite British intelligence initially believing that the plan was simply a bit of carefully crafted misinformation. General of the Artillery Leonhard Kaupisch had been placed in charge of the operation, and decided upon two things; his retirement, and a desire to go out with an impressive military victory to secure his place in the history books.

His ego was his undoing. A poorly planned and terribly executed invasion was shredded before even half the assembled troops, making a mad dash across England in Ju-52 transports, got to the Irish Sea. Irish resistance was much stronger than the Germans had anticipated, and those who did make it were quickly rounded up, aided by the fact that the decimation of the transports so shocked the Nazi command that no more were committed to resupply, and the invasion force was essentially abandoned.

The effect on the relationship between the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland was immediate. Despite their success in repelling the invaders, Ireland realised, as Britain had before, that the rise of air power seriously impacted the previous safety of geographic isolation. A closer alliance with their neighbour was logical, and led to the formation of the British Isles Mutual Defence Agreement.

Post-war Ireland was now afforded unfettered access to modern British and NATO equipment, and a principal task was defending the western flank. This obviously placed a stress on maritime operations, and Ireland was sometimes called the World's Largest Aircraft Carrier.

The Gloster Javelin was not considered a great success in the fighter role, being large, heavy, and encumbered with a thick wing that compromised speed. But various low-level operations supporting ground troops in Malaya had shown it to be effective at lower altitude, and it was converted to an anti-shipping aircraft, and missiles were developed to give it a powerful punch. Extensive modifications to the Red Angel rocket, which had almost been abandoned, yielded an effective weapon. Stub wings were added to allow for greater range by using lift instead of just brute force. A small empennage arrangement, with the vertical stabiliser on the underside, gave more control, and a larger warhead increased its capability to successfully engage the new Soviet Sverdlov class cruisers.

A simple and well proven paint scheme of grey over white was used for the duration of its service. In-flight refuelling was an option, but it is not known if the infamously large probe was ever fitted.

The model

This is the Novo article, from the Frog molds. Rather heavy plastic, but the wheels seem to be holding up. Fit was generally good, although my (lack of) skills makes it seem rougher than it actually is. The cockpit could be easily improved by someone who enjoys 'super detailing', but I left it with simple painted seat belts and ejection seat handles made from wire.

Decals are courtesy of Kiwi Zac, but I have no idea what kit they came from.

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

loupgarou

Nice build of a beautiful aircraft.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

'A silk purse out of a sow's ear' comes to mind. That looks remarkably good considering the base kit.

And I love anything from the IAC too, nice one!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I wouldn't go so far as to call the Jav beautifull.  Ruggedly handsome perhaps.

Good job.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

That's come out really well  :bow: :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

Thank you, gents. I also have the Heller one in the stash, that may get the 'Viggenise it' treatment.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on March 26, 2022, 09:39:50 AM

Thank you, gents. I also have the Heller one in the stash, that may get the 'Viggenise it' treatment.

A much better kit, as it's quite a bit newer. Is it a T3 or an FAW one?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 26, 2022, 10:55:47 AM
A much better kit, as it's quite a bit newer. Is it a T3 or an FAW one?

T.3

PR19_Kit

I like the T3 better because of its longer nose, and I used one as the basis for my Gloster Lance for just that reason.

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 26, 2022, 01:58:38 PM
I like the T3 better because of its longer nose, and I used one as the basis for my Gloster Lance for just that reason.

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=47979.0  :wub: :thumbsup:

Wardukw

Agreed..the longer nose balances the look of the plane out ..much better looking for it.
The model..well another beauty Ratty..Very clean paint and i know the Irish Air Corps would be proud of this one  ;D  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

The Wooksta!

Doesn't work for me, but TBH, I think the Javelin was a colossal waste of time and money anyway.  DH Vixen forever!

Well done on getting a vile kit togethet nontheless.

PS  I is V. Pissed!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic