hangar for my WHIF's

Started by sandiego89, March 20, 2022, 10:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

Needed a hangar for my WHFFY subjects and as a backdrop for those all-important glamour shots for in progress and finished builds.  Like a few others, I crafted one.  I looked at some of the online laser cut ones, and they looked too small for most of my builds, and I choked at their price.

1/72 scale. "Blueprints" consisted of a literal napkin sketch and the tried and true "that looks about right" eye.  Sheet basswood cut on a table saw, various size basswood shapes, and a few scraps.   

Track doors

Even some of the larger ones will fit.  C-97 test fit. 

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

perttime

But what is that aircraft? A VTOL Jaguar?

sandiego89

Quote from: perttime on March 20, 2022, 12:05:25 PM
But what is that aircraft? A VTOL Jaguar?

Super STOL Jaguar.  WHIF of a 2 seat Jaguar with an extra Adour (non-afterburrning) replacing the rear seat, "wheelie-bin" hatch like the Yak-36 or F-35B and deflecting buckets for the main engines.

WHIF Baroudeur II (deux) is the other jet. with a trolly and skids to operate from unprepared surfaces.   

Dave "Sandiego89"

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kerick

Love that hanger! It's got me thinking but I don't need another project!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Very good.  What are you roofing it with?
I'd love a hanger but my problem would be where to store it.  Being half a door with a removable folding backdrop means my airfield photo base (Dadswell Bridge) can be leant up against the end of the Shed Dresser
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

McColm

So that's what the C-97 looks like when it's finished!

Pellson

Impressive hangar! Really!  :wub:

That Barodeur - is that a kit or a bash, and if the latter, made of what?

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

perttime

Quote from: zenrat on March 21, 2022, 02:40:19 AM
Would a corrugated steel roof work?
I'm pretty sure I've seen suitable corrugated cardboard or plastic materials at hardware or craft stores.

kerick

If nothing else Plastruct or Evergreen make sheets of corrugated roofing or siding. My neat streak would have to have clear dome over it to keep the dust off.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

sandiego89

Quote from: Pellson on March 21, 2022, 04:33:21 AM
Impressive hangar! Really!  :wub:

That Barodeur - is that a kit or a bash, and if the latter, made of what?

The Barodeur is a bash of the 1/72 Revell Mystere IV.  Lots of work on the intakes and nose and of course trolly and landing gear. 

Full build thread and pictures here:

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=39387.0

Quote from: kerick on March 20, 2022, 08:55:04 PM

I didn't either! but found the change of woodworking and the thoughts going into it very satisfying.  Nie to mix things up 

Quote from: kerick on March 20, 2022, 08:55:04 PM

I have made it so it easily knocks down into flat sheets. 

Quote from: zenrat on March 21, 2022, 02:40:19 AM
I'd love a hanger but my problem would be where to store it. 

To be determined!  Was just starting with the front side and 2 sidewalls as phot backdrops, but now thinking about the back and roof.  Yes lots of mateirals to choose from. 
Dave "Sandiego89"

Wardukw

This is very cool Dave..i love the idea and its a very cool thing as a back drop for ya pics but ya gotta have a full blown roof dude...with trusses and cross braces and lights ..if ya take a slightly angled pics upwards and see the roof in the back ground..that = epic..take the same pic with garden tools hanging on the wall..no so epic..funny tho  :wacko:
Lovin it mate  :thumbsup: and the jag..damn man !!! Purely one of a kind .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 21, 2022, 06:50:24 PM
...ya gotta have a full blown roof dude...with trusses and cross braces and lights ...

Working lights.   :mellow:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Pellson

Quote from: sandiego89 on March 21, 2022, 02:25:50 PM

The Barodeur is a bash of the 1/72 Revell Mystere IV.  Lots of work on the intakes and nose and of course trolly and landing gear. 

Full build thread and pictures here:

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=39387.0

Really cool! I've been looking at building a Baroudeur myself and this is an interesting and well executed approach.  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Joe C-P

Quote from: sandiego89 on March 20, 2022, 10:38:14 AM
Needed a hangar for my WHFFY subjects and as a backdrop for those all-important glamour shots for in progress and finished builds.  Like a few others, I crafted one.  I looked at some of the online laser cut ones, and they looked too small for most of my builds, and I choked at their price.

1/72 scale. "Blueprints" consisted of a literal napkin sketch and the tried and true "that looks about right" eye.  Sheet basswood cut on a table saw, various size basswood shapes, and a few scraps.   

I build furniture and some of my builds have been from the very same sort of blueprints.  Adjust the pieces as you cut and it oft fits better than strictly following plans.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.