Westland Ravernclaw KAH.2 with photos ++FINISHED ++

Started by McColm, March 13, 2022, 10:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

A kitbash of the Airfix Fairey Rotodyne and the Westland EH-101.

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

McColm

Quote from: The Rat on March 13, 2022, 10:20:42 AM
Excellent idea!  :thumbsup:
Thanks The Rat. I think that I have the parts to finish the build.

McColm

With no orders placed the Fairey Rotodyne became the basis of a medium to long-range helicopter. This suited the military and commercial airlines.
Westland would use the HeliDyne as a testbed for the EH-101, which would be improved for the next generation of HeliDynes.

McColm

A little bit more work and the Westland  HeliDyne is taking shape. The rotors are held on with Blue-Tac.
Head-on view

Side view shows the landing gear.

Rear view shows the triple tail fins.

Overhead view

McColm

I have been working on this over the last few days and made a few changes. It's had a coat of acrylic grey primer and white paint to highlight the parts that I missed when I was sanding and holes that need to be filled in. The landing gear is from the BAe Arctic Fox - parts donated to the Do-24 flying boat concept as I have used some parts for the Me-321b flying boat Air-Car-Ferry build.
The main rotor is now a three bladed type from the Kamov Stealth Helicopter, the shaft being raised to clear the triple fins at the rear. A pair of turbojets from a Fairchild C-119 adorn both sides of the fuselage.
I have found some decals from the Airfix Fairey Rotodyne,but they are a slightly lighter colour than the ones on the original model and don't match the ones from the Revell kit. I might come up with my own colour scheme or have a rummage in the stash for something suitable.

Even upside down they still look different!

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

McColm

A slight change from three down to two to power the rotor blades.

ericr

Captain Canada

That's really wild ! Nice work Steven !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

McColm

Changed again into a USARMY demonstration helicopter with a familiar stablemate which has got  updated main rotors .

McColm

Another radical change, it's got wings

McColm

The medium gunship acrylic paint seems to add character to this build. A jamming pod and a in-flight refuelling pod ( came from the  Matchbox/Revell  H.P. Victor K.2 kit) with underwing pylons have been glued in place (the other parts are from the Revell Tornado GR.1 kit).

McColm

The drogue basket is now attached with a touch-up in places. Seen here with the Sea Sparrow Floatplane fighter-bomber prototype.