DONE @p.2 +++ 1:72 Saab A 35 G “Draken”; Svenska Flygvapnet (F6), Karlsborg 1974

Started by Dizzyfugu, March 10, 2022, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

The kit and its assembly:
Even though the model depicts a what-if aircraft, the Draken's proposed "Gustav" attack variant based on the J 35 D interceptor was real – but I could not find much detail information about it. So, I took some inspiration from the contemporary Danish Saab 35XD export version, which probably had similar features to the Gustav? Another inspiring factor was a pair of Rb 05 missiles (from an Airfix Viggen) that I had bought with a spare parts lot some time ago, and an attack Draken would be the perfect carrier for these exotic (and unsuccessful) missiles.

For a low-budget build I used one of Mistercraft's many recent re-boxings of the vintage Revell Draken from 1957(!), and this kit is nothing for those who are faint at heart.

It is horrible.  :banghead:

The kit probably depicts a late J 35 A (already with a long tail section), but even for this variant it lacks details like the air scoops for the afterburner or a proper landing gear. The Draken's characteristic tail wheel is also missing completely, resembling the short-tailed prototypes. Worst pitfall: there is NO interior at all, not even a lumpy seat! The canopy, depicting the early model with struts, is disturbingly clean and crisp, though. The overall fit is mediocre at best, too – there are only a few visible seams, but any of them calls for filling and PSR. It's a very toyish kit, even though the general outlines are O.K.

And the Mistercraft instructions are really audacious: they show all the parts that are actually NOT there at all. Suddenly a seat appears in the cockpit, of the tail wheel... And the decal sheets (there are three, totally puzzled together!) only roughly meet the aircraft you see in the painting instructions, but that's a common feature of most Mistercraft kits. How much can you taunt your disappointed customers?

So, this leaves lots of room for improvements, and calls for a lot of scratching and improvisation, too. First measure was to open both the air intakes (which end after 2mm in vertical walls) and the exhaust, which received an afterburner dummy deep inside to create depth.
Next, I implanted a complete cockpit, consisting of s scratched dashboard (styrene sheet), the tub from an Italeri Bae Hawk trainer's rear cockpit (which comes with neat side consoles and fits quite well) plus a shallow vintage ejection seat, probably left over from an early MiG from a KP kit or one of its many later reincarnations. As an alternative, there's a Quickboost resin aftermarket set with a complete cockpit interior (even including side walls, IIRC intended to be used with the Hasegawa Draken) available but using it on this crappy kit would have been a waste of resources – it's more expensive than the kit itself, and even with a fine cockpit the exterior would still remain crappy.

1:72 Saab A 35 G "Draken"; aircraft "02 Red" of the Svenska Flygvapnet (Swedish Air Force) Västgöta Wing (F 6); Karlsborg Air Base, 1974 (Whif/modified Revell/Mistercraft kit) - WiP
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Saab A 35 G "Draken"; aircraft "02 Red" of the Svenska Flygvapnet (Swedish Air Force) Västgöta Wing (F 6); Karlsborg Air Base, 1974 (Whif/modified Revell/Mistercraft kit) - WiP
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Since I could not find any detail about the Gustav Draken's equipment I gave it a laser rangefinder in a poor-fitting S 35 E nose that comes as an optional part with the vintage Revell mold – which is weird, because the recce Draken was built between 1963 and 1968 in 2 series, several years after the kit's launch? Maybe the Mistercraft kit is based on the 1989 Revell re-boxing? But that kit also features an all-in-one pilot/seat part and a two-piece canopy... Weird!

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Once the hull was closed many surface details had to be added. The afterburner air scoops were created from plastic profiles, actually roof rails in H0 scale. Styrene profile material was also used to create the intakes behind the cockpit, better than nothing. The OOB pitot on the fin was very robust, and since it would be wrong on a J 35 D I cut it off and added a fairing to the fin tip, actually a shortened/modified ACMI pod, which bears a better pitot alternative at its tip. The pitot on the nose was scratched from heated styrene, the kit offers no part at all.

Under the rear fuselage the whole tail wheel arrangement had to be scratched. The shallow fairing consists of a section from a Matchbox EA-6B drop tank, the wheel and its strut were tinkered together with bits from the scrap box and profile material. Not stellar, but better than OOB (= nothing!).
The landing gear struts were taken from the kit but beefed up with some details. The main wheels had to be replaced, the new ones come from a KP MiG-21, IIRC.

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The ordnance will consist of a pair of Rb 05's from an Airfix Viggen, a pair of OOB drop tanks and MERs from a Matchbox A-7D, together with fourteen streamlined bombs from the same kit (twelve on the MERs and a single one under each outer pylon). AFAIK, Sweden never used any MERs on their aircraft, but the bombs come pretty close to some bombs that I have seen as AJ 37 ordnance. Most pylons are OOB, I just added a single ventral station and two outer hardpoints under the wings, but these were left empty as the tanks and the MERs already take up a lot of space. The Rb 05s receive a prominent place under the air intakes, on Sidewinder launch rails.

Wardukw

Thomas they say you cant polish a turd..well your doing pretty damn good so far  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

Painting and markings:
Finally a good excuse to apply the famous and complex "Fields & Meadows" paint scheme to a Draken model! However, this "combo" actually existed in real life, but only on a single aircraft: around 1980 a J 35 B (s/n 35520), aircraft "20" of F18, was painted in this fashion, but AFAIK it was only an instructional airframe.

You find some pictures of this aircraft online but getting a clear three-side view (esp. from above!) as a reliable painting benchmark is impossible. However, a complete paint scheme of this aircraft is provided with one of Mistercraft's Revell Draken re-boxings (not the one I bought, though), even though it is mismarked as a J 35 F of F10 in the instructions. One of the common Mistercraft errors, err, "surprises" (*sigh*).

Finding suitable model paints for the elaborate scheme is not easy, either, and after having applied it several times I stuck to my favorites: Humbrol 150 (Forest Green, FS 34127), 75 (Bronze Green), 118 (US Light Tan, FS 30219, a bit light but RAF Dark Earth is too somber) and Revell 06 (Tar Black, RAL 9021) on the upper surfaces and Humbrol 247 (RLM76) underneath.

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

A large ventral section was, typical for the J 35, left in bare metal, since leaking fuel and oil would frequently eat away any paint there. The section was painted with Revell 91 (Iron) and later treated with Matt Aluminum Metallizer (Humbrol). As per usual, the model received an overall light black ink washing and some post-shading in order to emphasize the panels, correct the splinter camouflage and dramatize the surface. Some extra weathering was done around the gun ports and the jet nozzle with graphite.

Internal details like the cockpit and the landing gear were painted with the help of Swedish Saab 35 reference pictures. The cockpit tub was painted in a dark, bluish green (Humbrol 76) with grey-green (Revell 67) side walls.
The landing gear and its respective wells were painted in a bluish grey (Revell 57), parts of the struts were painted in a bright turquoise (a mix of Humbrol 89 and 80; looks quite weird, but I like such details!). The wheel hubs became medium grey (Revell 47).

perttime

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 11, 2022, 01:22:24 AM
Thomas they say you cant polish a turd..well your doing pretty damn good so far  :thumbsup:
I recall Mythbusters managed to do it too.

Gondor

Quote from: perttime on March 11, 2022, 05:32:28 AM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 11, 2022, 01:22:24 AM
I recall Mythbusters managed to do it too.

Yup, Carnivore Poo was better than Herbivore poo if I remember correctly, but I voulf have thhe best one mixed up with the other one  :-\

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Wardukw

;D ;D i saw that episode and Jamie wasnt to excited about it ..Adam loved every minute of it i think but you have to admit that when that saying came about i bet they didnt go to the extremes those to blokes did to find out  :lol:
As for Dizzys build...nope not turd anymore..looking surpurb right now and will only look better when finished.
This plane and the Viggen have been loved by me for decades..when it comes to a serious looking plane both of these meet that criteria and i still want a 48th scale Viggen.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Pellson

Mistercraft, eh? You're a braver man than me, Gunga Din..  ;D Impressive nevertheless, and more so considering the starting point.

There is a lot to tell about the Draken history, and at home (I'm in the cottage now) I have an example of the ultimate reference book on the matter. But that's there, ans this is whif, so sod it..  ;)
But, some short notes:

- There wasn't ever a SAAB 35G. There was an H, but that was an out of sequence Swiss export effort, the deal being won by the Dassault Mirage III. H was for Helvetica, btw.

- There were two strike/attack Drakens projected, the first being the rather extensively reinforced XD for Denmark. Essentially, the XD was a late model 35D with stronger wing structure to withstand the rigours met at high speed, low level strike missions, carrying heavy ordnance. Also, electronics differed significantly, the XD having very little air-to-air capacity.

- The second strike version was thought to make the Drakens multirole capable, maybe skipping or at least delaying the SAAB 39 Gripen project. These were the never built JA35 Mod 3 and Mod 4 variants. These were designed to be reconstructions of existing D's and F's, again reinforcing the structure somewhat, but also adding a small tip to the fin for increased keel area, and the ability to carry and target the then new RBS15 anti-ship missile. Two missiles were to be carried under the air intakes, where the 35J carried Sidewinders, and ground clearance was limited, to say the least. At MTOW, clearance was about 40mm..
In the end, Sweden chose a minimum interceptor upgrade (the J35J), and we elected to speed up the entirely new JAS39 Gripen instead.

- The "fields and meadows" camouflage was actually tested on TWO J35B, one of them on your pic above, Thomas. And they were flown in that disguise, even if not much. As we know, the camouflage was quickly transferred to the AJ37 Viggens, then in service since four years, and final testing was done on that platform.

- The SAAB Rb05 missile was very much equivalent to the american Bullpup, but a bit faster. It stayed in service into the nineties, and some pilots were very skilled with it. However, flying a Viggen at 60 m (yes, you heard me) and simultaneously "flying" a missile into a tank on a second, small joystick, took quite some practice, and when Sweden finally bought Mavericks, these were much appreciated.

- AJ37 Viggens routinely carried Swedish equivalents to the Mk 82 bombs on four-station MERs, much like the Tornado IDS does under its belly. It could carry four MER's, equalling 16 bombs, two under the intakes and two more on the main stations  just outboard of the main gear. Having seen a Viggen pass in MACH 0,98 on treetop level, dropping a full stick when buzzing by is not something you forget easily.

- In 1/72, Mk 82s can be used, as these are close enough in design to pass. The MER's can be googled, I think. Otherwise, I can sneakshoot a pic when I get home to my equally great Viggen book.  ;)

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Lost Cosmonauts

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

Dizzyfugu

Thanks a lot for the Swedish input, highly appreciated!  :thumbsup: Good thing is that I a mowrking on a fictional version, so that the many flaws and deviations do not count that much...  ;D BTW, could the other Draken with "Fields & Meadows" cammo be aircraft "20" from F10, probably an F or a J?

A "H" Draken (as a whiffy Swiss/Swedish joint venture) is also on my agenda, but the current experience with the Mistercraft zombie has lowered my ambitions to tackle it (an Akkrura boxing of the samke kit, just with engraved panel lines) soon...  :rolleyes:

However, the "Gustav" is coming closer to the finish line. Recently the model received a black ink washing, some post-shading and weathering, and decals. Decals/markings were puzzled together from a Moose Republic Saab 32 sheet (unit code number and emblem) and the spares box, including the red tactical tail code from an Italeri 1:72 Gripen and roundels from a Hasegawa Draken. Stencils were taken from the kit's OOB sheet (which turned out to use a rather stiff film, despite being printed very well) and also from the Hasegawa Draken sheet. Finally, the model was sealed with matt acrylic varnish (Italeri).

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The Rb 05 missiles were painted in white as live weapons, so that they stand out well from the airframe. The drop tanks received the same blue-grey as the underside (Humbrol 247). MERs and launch rails were painted in a neutral grey (RAL 7001) and the bombs became olive drab (RAL 6014, Gelboliv) with yellow rings and golden fuzes.

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Pellson

The 35H was at one point planned with an American J79 rather than the ubiquitous Avon. That could sort a lot of your tail problems as that version was significantly shorter at the rear. There is a sketch somewhere of that..

Pellson

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

I'd have to go back to Linkoping and update their airframe structural test rig if they'd have actually built it.

Update by a factor of FIVE maybe!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit