Walraaars! Be finished

Started by Robomog, March 04, 2022, 04:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robomog

Belay there me hearties,  just waitin' fer  the captains decision , may be dead in the water from the start aaarrr !

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly harmless ...............

Robomog

The cap'n says aye!   Huzzah !

Hi all

Here's the start position.

by Robomog, on Flickr

A Walrus  built circa mid 70's fell from the Wall of Joy  when I was redecorating the room and entered the Drawer of Oblivion. When the pirate GB was announced this idea dropped into my head completely unannounced and here I am. It will be coupled with a pair of scale-o-rama jet engines( I don't know what they came off of) and scale-o-rama ships cannons. It will also be hoisting cannon balls in drop nets but I have yet to work that one out.

Also toying with the idea of a V tail.

More when it happens...........

Mog
>^-.-^<

JayBee

MAD, MAD, MAD but I Like it !  :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Robomog

Thankee jaybee I be  taking that as a compliment  ;D ( although I'm holding out for eccentric  :rolleyes:)

And now some work I be doin'

by Robomog, on Flickr

I have decided to replace the struts with pylons to support the engines and centre section and also give the wings a little stagger. I have fashioned the centre strut first to get some idea of distance between the wings.

Both the gun positions have been widened and the cockpit opened up  to give the crew more space, I rarely put crew in an aircraft but this one screams out for a pirate crew which I'm trying to adapt from some polythene figures.

I've started detailing the fuselage, just the floor and a couple of bulkheads at the moment but more to come.

The top wing has had the notch filled in where the propellor went so some PSR do there.

So that be all fer now, thankee for lookin'  arrr !

Mog
>^-.-^<

kerick

Maybe a dunk in the tank of paint remover. Just for a clean canvas to work on.
This looks wildly eccentric! Carry on like a mad man!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

This will surely be interesting... :mellow: :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Robomog

Thankee all fer yer comments.

I've fallen into the trap of opening up the cockpit areas and things look a little bland so I've embarked on the installation of ribbing and some basic controls. I will also need to construct some lockers for shot and powder, some of this might be hard to see when I close the fuselage but at least I know its there  :rolleyes:

Some progress pics soon.

More when it happens............   ha harr !

Mog
>^-.-^<

NARSES2

Quote from: Robomog on March 09, 2022, 05:21:23 PM
some of this might be hard to see when I close the fuselage but at least I know its there  :rolleyes:

The modeler's Universal Mantra  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Robomog

jcf

Breechloading conversion of an 18th century 6-lbdr.
;D
A similar conversion might make things easier for yer crew.
;)

https://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-british-1895-bronze-6lb-breech-loading-cannon-from-the-northwest-frontier?variant=26171817669

Robomog

Thankee young  Jon still working on me firing solution, I will mind yer suggestion fer later.

Meanwhile I have gone overboard on the internal detail.
by Robomog, on Flickr

As you can see I have framed the cockpit sides, decked out all the cockpits and given it some baulkheads.

There be more when it 'appens arrr !

Mog
>^-.-^<

Robomog

Well me hearties got me some progress here arrrr !

Finally managed to curb my OCD on the internal detail, here's a couple of shots before the fuselage is closed.

by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/54032744@N08/]Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

Currently consists of flight controls, throttles and bomb release levers I will be fitting a compass a airspeed indicator later.

Also shown are the shot and powder lockers.

Started on the steam punk (or should it be sail punk?) Engines by adding some ribbing and extended the exhausts. Still working on the mounting of the engine but I have found a couple of pylons to support them on the bottom wings. The wings on the Walrus have quite a angle so I may have to adapt them somewhat to remain parallel with the fuselage .

by Robomog, on Flickr

Thankee fer lookin'

Mog
>^-.-^<

Robomog

Well me boyo's I been done me some more modelling arrr !

The fuselage is now closed up, filled and sanded.

The engines have been installed, not easy as the Walrus is more curvy than it looks so I've had to line them up them by eye :-\

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

For the firing solution I'm going to mount the main cannon sideways on slides, they won't be of massive caliber, more to scare the bejasus out of the intended prey and get them to heave to, backed up with the threat of falling cannon balls of course

Still working on a release mechanism for that. ;)

As you can see from the pics I've temporarily taped on the upper wing so that I can measure and construct the pylons between the upper wing and engines.  It also gives me an idea of the final object.

As an aside, while I have been working on this kit I have found that this is now its third iteration, whilst sanding down  I have found areas of plastic wood filling  this means it was originally built in the late sixties and painted green/gray over sky. Later (I don't know when but probably early seventies) it was repainted gray/dark gray over a different shade of sky.

Curious how some kits stick in your memory and others don't, while some kits like this one have a history and others end up in the draw of doom or never progress beyond being parts. ;D

That be all for now maties, more when when it happens like arrr!.

Mog
>^-.-^<

zenrat

Cool.  I can see it crossing the sky trailing fire from both wings...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..