1/80 Revell N.A. A37 Vigilante with photos finished

Started by McColm, February 17, 2022, 10:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

The kit seems to have extra parts; a spare jet exhaust pipe and the top half of the stand The two hinged canopies don't close so they will remain in the open position. A first for me the build doesn't require any filler//puty. I will fit the landing gear after I paint the fuselage.
I can see why the North American A-5A was considered as a fighter bomber a role that the aircraft never performed
This will be my first straight out of the box build in 1/80 scale,  the paint scheme and decals will be changed as the ones in the kit are missing.

sandiego89

Ohh, I did not know there was this kit of the original flat topped A3J/A-5 Vigilante. Have been tempted to backdate a later RA5C in 1/72, but tons of work involved.

Steven, can you please post a picture of the kit, especially the top of the fuselage?   

I have a soft spot for this original version of the aircraft as is far less known than the later RA5C, and I have had the pleasure of seeing the sole surviving flat top version which has been pole mounted for decades at NAS Patuxent River.   

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-h196-98-north-american-a3j-vigilante--172003

I have a soft spot for this original version of the aircraft as is far less known than the later RA5C, and I have had the pleasure of seeing the sole surviving flat top version which has been pole mounted for decades at NAS Patuxent River.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quite why no-one never seems to have done a resin conversion to the flat-top Vigi, I've no idea.

It's so darned obvious, and it's not as if there's a shortage of Humpbacks around, Hasegawa/FROG/AMT/Revell/Monogram, Airfix and Trumpeter all did them in 1/72, and Trumpeter even did a 1/48 one.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Quote from: sandiego89 on February 17, 2022, 12:00:27 PM
Ohh, I did not know there was this kit of the original flat topped A3J/A-5 Vigilante. Have been tempted to backdate a later RA5C in 1/72, but tons of work involved.

Steven, can you please post a picture of the kit, especially the top of the fuselage?   

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-h196-98-north-american-a3j-vigilante--172003

This is what I have completed so far.

Oops I didn't read your message until I had finished gluing the wings on.

McColm

Quote from: sandiego89 on February 17, 2022, 12:00:27 PM

Kingkit has a similar model but not all the pieces are included.

McColm

Acrylic paint beige and aircraft light grey,  decals are from a 1/48 Tornado GR4.A.
Top side

From the back

Finished.
If anyone wants to photoshop these pictures onto a better background, go ahead.

JayBee

Monogram did a kit of the Vigilante in its original "flat Top" version.
It had a spring loaded nuclear bomb that ejected out of the tail between the two jet pipes, just like the real thing.
If memory serves it wa in 1/76 (box) scale.
I remember flying it over targets in the garden and trying to get the timing right for dropping the bomb.

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

sandiego89

Quote from: JayBee on February 24, 2022, 07:57:52 AM
It had a spring loaded nuclear bomb that ejected out of the tail between the two jet pipes, just like the real thing.
I remember flying it over targets in the garden and trying to get the timing right for dropping the bomb.

If you were delivering a Mk28 warhead, I guess close enough, is close enough in your garden.  Love those gimmick kits, fun to pla....ah I mean conduct aerodynamic studies, with.....
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

NARSES2

Looking good in that scheme

Quote from: JayBee on February 24, 2022, 07:57:52 AM

I've memories of that kit as well Jim, and did the same type of thing until it broke  :angel:

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.