Miles M.23 Minx Mk.I

Started by Knightflyer, January 17, 2022, 12:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knightflyer

Hi All

I am (for my sins) currently close to completing the Unicraft Miles M.23 'Milefire' (silly name, that will HAVE to change)

It's based on drawings from 1941.

My question is, (required for the backstory) if it had been developed beyond the drawing stage, when might a possible first flight have occurred?

I know nothing of the gestation period for plans to prototype of a typical British WWII fighter, but I've got a feeling Miles would have, as they say 'missed the boat' and their thick winged fighter (with the same issues as the Typhoon I presume) would have emerged to compete again something like the Tempest?

Any input appreciated  ;D

This is the model in question

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/unicraft-models-72110-miles-m23-milefire--944241

Oh to be whiffing again :-(

TomZ

The design is from 1941. I would say first flight = 1942, introduction in service 1942?

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

NARSES2

I'd agree with Tom re first flight, 1942 sometime. Service late 1943 ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Knightflyer

Well this one did get finished eventually

My first (and only so far) Unicraft model (please leave your comments regarding Unicraft outside the door on your way in!  ;D )

This is the Miles M.23 - a design from 1941 that never left the drawing board. It had a small frontal area but conversely the wings were very thick (0.2C) . I get the impression that if it had made it to the hardware (prototype) stage it would have been an aircraft who's time had past, pitting a Hurricane / Typhoon type aircraft against the Tempest and Griffon-engined Spitfires?

The model is as basic as the drawings available, and doesn't come supplied with exhausts, radiators or intakes of any form. I added these plus took advantage of the huge spinner to make it a contra-prop. The markings are similar to those used by the prototype Martin-Baker MB.5

Oh to be whiffing again :-(

zenrat

I like that.  Its proportions give it a cartoony vibe.  Very good.   :thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on January 20, 2023, 04:25:43 AMI like that.  Its proportions give it a cartoony vibe.  Very good.   :thumbsup:

I was thinking semi-SD Griffon Spit
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

You've done a good job with that, especially considering it's origins  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2