F-29B

Started by Firefox, January 11, 2022, 03:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firefox

Originally, I wanted to make a 1/48 two seats X-29B out of the F-20B from Freedom Model. Without paying attention, I thought the difference between X-29 and F-20 is simply X-29 has a slightly larger air intake. Only after completing the build and starting to paint I realized that not only the X-29 has a larger air intake but the entire intake also sits higher up. Well, too late for any modification, hence F-29B   ;)

Background story:
In an alternate reality, F-16 does not exist and USAF takes on the F-20. For many years, it dominates the light weight fighter as the most maneuverable fighter until the advent of the single engine Mig-29. Rumour has it that the Mig-29 has thrust vectoring nozzle together with supreme aerodynamic and maneuverability. This spook the higher up in the ranks. In view of X-29 proving it great maneuverability, Northrop was ordered to convert the  F-20 with forward swept wings to increase the maneuverability and given the designation F-29. The two seat was selected and the conversion went on successfully. It proves the desired maneuverability the ranks want but external store carrying capability proves too much of a challenge with various teething weapon separation issues. It quickly see the whole concept abandoned when the cost skyrocketed. The only converted aircraft was passing through one agency to another to carry out research and development or adversaries duty.

comrade harps

With that white with red scheme and the sharply swept wings, it reminds me of a Captain Scarlet Angel Interceptor!

Gorgeous :wub:

Whatever.

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Crisp. Nicely done!  :thumbsup:

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Captain Canada

Beautiful ! Looks so right like that, and a natural progression of said machine. I've got a similar one in my half built pile, albeit in 72nd scale.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

Beautifully done!  :wub: :wub:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Wardukw

Ive liked the X29 mainly cause its alot on the different side but a two seater is just plain cool ..beautiful paint  and weathering..a lovely sight  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

Well done! Lots of whiff potential in the F-20, X-29 series. I love the great ideas that show up here!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

AeroplaneDriver

Damn that looks just right.  Excellent Whiffery!!
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

AndrewF

Paper Kosmonaut

Very pretty plane. I love the livery, and the shape is gorgeous too. I guess I am a bit of a sucker for the T-38 and twoseater Northrop F5 variants.
And the job you did is really outstanding. Love it to bits.
dei t dut mout t waiten!