One More In 2021?? US Navy Seafire.

Started by AeroplaneDriver, December 29, 2021, 09:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

I might be being a bit ambitious but I'd love to knock out one more this year.  48 hours left! 

Since I started the modeling year on Jan 1 with an Airfix 1/48 Seafire FR46 I decided to end on the same. But instead of a RW RN machine this one will most likely end up in USN colors. I'm thinking post-war USNR with the orange band around the rear of the Dark Sea Blue fuselage. 

Pics to come tomorrow but almost ready to close up the fuselage. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

AeroplaneDriver

So a late night session got this little Seafire mostly assembled and almost ready to paint.  But as the evening went on my Whif ideas evolved.  Now I'm thinking this Seafire might be operating with a post-war research unit...the High Altitude Research Projects Office, or HARPO.  But now the question is will HARPO be a USN project operating out of Pax River or an MoD one out of Boscombe or Yeovilton...? 

Decisions, decisions...

Gondor

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on December 30, 2021, 10:54:45 AM
So a late night session got this little Seafire mostly assembled and almost ready to paint.  But as the evening went on my Whif ideas evolved.  Now I'm thinking this Seafire might be operating with a post-war research unit...the High Altitude Research Projects Office, or HARPO.  But now the question is will HARPO be a USN project operating out of Pax River or an MoD one out of Boscombe or Yeovilton...? 

Decisions, decisions...

Got to be an American project, especially if you can work in the names of Chico and Groucho  ;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

KiwiZac

Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

AeroplaneDriver

So when you're trying to rush out one more build in 48 hours, what's the best strategy?  Naturally, decide to try printing your own decals for the first time...   :banghead:

If these don't work it'll be dry transfers onto clear decal film.

Freightdog862

Nice decals, did you draw the USN font from scratch, or did you download it?

Thanks, Colin

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

AeroplaneDriver

Well it looks like my goal of one more in 2021 will fall short.  No surprise really but my home-printed decals were useless against a blue background.  Much more sorting through the spares bin needed to source decals and today is a busy day for me getting ready for a small get together tonight. 

So she will end up my first competed build of 2022.  Progress so far on my US Naval Air Test Center high altitude research Seafire. 

KiwiZac

Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

JoeP

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

comrade harps

RN Seafires do tend to be a bit drab (although the Korean war scheme is eye catching). Always like to see a USN Seafire/Spiteful. Looking forward to seeing ot completed.  :thumbsup:
Whatever.