1/72 P-38J Droopsnoot query

Started by kitbasher, December 13, 2021, 12:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Scalemates indicates that the late lamented DB Productions once produced a P-38J Droopsnoot conversion (DB2026).  Is anyone aware of a current 1/72 Droopsnoot conversion kit?  Asking as I've a P-38J in the stash I'd like to convert to represent RAF 5 Gp's 44-23517.  Nothing seen on Evilbay (very quick search only, mind).

I know Dragon produced a Droopsnoot kit but I don't want to shell out on one of those - one P-38 in the stash is enough (long ago had an Airfix P-38F that very nearly got converted to a Lightning I, but disposed of it).

Thanks in advance.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

ED Models did quite a few P-38 add-ons in their time, under their Airwaves range, and the Big H took that trade name on in time. IIRC the masters were made by Paul Lucas but moulded by DB, as were many resin add-ons of the period. So it's possible that the Big H may still have some.

I had both their F-4 and F-5 noses and they were really good, so their Snoot nose should be equally good.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Cheers, Kit.  Yep checked Hannants for all things 1/72 P-38-related before posting earlier and nothing I far as can see.

Did invest in Airwaves, ED and DB stuff during ED Models' existence (they were round the corner from my in-laws).  As you say, good stuff.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitnut617

Unless you can find one of those conversions, the Dragon Droop Snoot is about the only way to go. There's also their Pathfinder version of the P-38 (got a copy of both in the stash, actually 2 Droop Snoots, 1 Pathfinder) I'm playing with the idea of a Droop Snoot F-80 ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Dizzyfugu

The good thing about the Dragon kit is IIRC that the Droopsnoot parts are extras, so you are left with an otherwise complete kit.

kitbasher

Thanks Kitnut, you've confirmed what I thought to be the case.

Dizzy I wasn't sure of the Dragon kit's parts breakdown, so thanks for the clarification.  Still won't be buying one!  And a quick internet search suggests they're out of production and not easy to find.

Never mind, either an OOB build or stash reduction beckons.  In no rush to decide.

Thanks all for the info.   :thumbsup:

The Wooksta!

Didn't Italeri rebox the Droopsnoot?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: The Wooksta! on December 14, 2021, 04:18:21 AM
Didn't Italeri rebox the Droopsnoot?

Italeri re-boxed the Dragon P-38J, but I am not certain if it contains any extra parts for the clear nose section? I think it's just the standard kit.  :o

kitbasher

If Scalemates is correct, then so is Dizzy.  Yes Italeri did rebox the Dragon P-38 but before Dragon released the Droopsnoot edition.
The current Italeri P-38 doesn't include the option, and in any case is IIRC the Academy kit.