Vickers-Armstrong Fireball FAW.1

Started by Leading Observer, December 06, 2021, 06:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leading Observer

Vickers Armstrong Fireball FAW.1
The rejection of the reports which would have led to the 1957 Defence White Paper by the MacMillan Government [and the subsequent resignation of the Minister of Defence Duncan Sandys] coupled with the catastrophic failure of the United States Thor missile programme, resulted in new perspective on orders for manned interceptor aircraft for the RAF to counter the Soviet Bomber Fleet.
One of the aircraft ordered to counter the perceived Soviet Bomber threat was the Vickers Armstrong 559 which entered service in 1962-3 and was given the service name of Fireball following comments made by the then Marshall of the Royal Air Force, Sir Thomas Geoffrey Pike, GCB, CBE, DFC & Bar, during a demonstration of the pre-production aircraft at Farnborough in 1962 that the aircraft "looked like that Fireball rocketship thing in the TV series that my grandchildren love watching" – indeed on a QRA take off, with both afterburners lit and the twin rockets adding additional thrust, the sight and sound was remarkably like XL5's launch!
The Fireball FAW.1 first entered service with 111 Squadron, but was generally unpopular with RAF ground crew due to the complicated procedures needed to refuel and re-arm the aircraft. It's pilots however revelled in the superb performance on take-off and climb to height, especially when the twin rockets were ignited for that little extra boost.

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

buzzbomb

Lots of big on that, what a beast.

Love the Dalek on the base. Perimeter guard ?

Caveman

secretprojects forum migrant

Glenn Gilbertson

Leading Observer

Quote from: buzzbomb on December 06, 2021, 01:16:29 PM
Lots of big on that, what a beast.

Love the Dalek on the base. Perimeter guard ?

Latest 1960's RAF Regiment kit ;D
LO

comrade harps

Whatever.

Tophe

Impressive! :thumbsup:
I wondered if it is all scratchbuild but Google told me there is a Fantastic Plastic kit 1/72 of the VA559:
https://fantastic-plastic.com/vickers_armstrong_559.html
while making it "in service" is a great whif addition, congratulations!

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Wardukw

Now thats just plain yummy  ;D
Awesome build  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

The Wooksta!

Nicely done although (pickiness alert!) I'd question the black tailfins as it doesn't sit with the period, and the insides of the fins would have fin flashes too - all RAF twin finned aircraft have flashes on both sides of the fins.

Mine has got about as far as the fuselage being assembled.  The canopy is not a good fit, it wiggles about like a prick in a sock.  Still undecided as to squadron, so an ex-Javelin one is likely.
Being the last Supermarine design, I may dub it the Skyflash.

The Dalek is nice too. One of the old Citadel Miniatures ones?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Wurgerman

Leading Observer

Quote from: The Wooksta! on December 07, 2021, 06:25:44 AM
Nicely done although (pickiness alert!) I'd question the black tailfins as it doesn't sit with the period, and the insides of the fins would have fin flashes too - all RAF twin finned aircraft have flashes on both sides of the fins.

Mine has got about as far as the fuselage being assembled.  The canopy is not a good fit, it wiggles about like a prick in a sock.  Still undecided as to squadron, so an ex-Javelin one is likely.
Being the last Supermarine design, I may dub it the Skyflash.

The Dalek is nice too. One of the old Citadel Miniatures ones?

All good points, but I had to work with what I had to hand hence no inside fin flashes and whilst I was aware that the black fins aren't right, I was trying for something between the Javelin and the Lightning in style. As for the Dalek, its plastic, probably from a Doctor Who magazine my son had
LO