HMVS Orthrus - Colony of Victoria Navy

Started by buzzbomb, November 25, 2021, 11:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

HMVS Orthrus - Victorian Colonial Navy 1892
As the Colony crew as a result of the Victorian Goldfields producing tonnes of gold, the Colony was awash with money. So to bolster the current Navy a more modern Ironclad Battleship was purchased in 1885 to replace the very old HMVS Nelson, that had been paid off and be a more powerful ship than the HMVS Cerberus. To keep with the naming convention of the Colonial Ironclads, the ship was named after the brother of the Greek Mythological beast, Cerberus. A few years later a bit of serendipity provided the Colony with its first Airship, crude and somewhat of a novelty, so the Naval Chiefs wanted to see if they could moor an airship to the HMVS Orthrus, so that it would enable the airship greater range to patrol more area around Port Philip bay and the coastal waters around the Colony of Victoria. The experiment proved to  be mixed result, but nonetheless and important step forward for the Colonial Navy.

Bronco 1/350 Chen Yuen, a few mods to make it not the Chen Yuen by moving the fore and aft turrets

Ships like this a bit paint as you go as rigging and railing precludes a lot of this later on.
Airship tinkering in the back

Seeing if the actual build matches my minds eye

Some measure of success getting the Airship to support itself using the tie down ropes (brass rod) as supports.
Riggind and railing underway. Working from the inside out. A few 1/350 crew as well.

Pretty much it. Bit of smoke from the stacks, as much rigging as I cared to do and a couple of support craft in the water

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

AndrewF

crudebuteffective

that looks crackin mate :thumbsup:

i used the same model for my interpretation of HMS Thunder child
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

zenrat

Good job BB.  Smaller than I expected but very good nonetheless.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Well, I think it looks great, BT! 8) 8)

Although I really like the torpedo boat, I think it adds an oddly uncomfortable asymmetry to the dio, so I'd suggest it either going elsewhere on the dio or, going[STOP]
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

REALLY impressive stuff there Buzzbomb!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And in such a small scale too. That deck planking is exquisite.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Hotte

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

philp

Love this.
The conversion, the story line and the build.

Great job.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies