North American B-28A Dragon

Started by TomZ, November 20, 2021, 09:36:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

North American B-28A Dragon

The order for a new high-altitude medium bomber was put out on 13 February 1940; the XB-28 first flew on 26 April 1942. The XB-28 was based on North American Aviation's highly successful B-25 Mitchell, but as it evolved it became a completely new design, much more reminiscent of the Martin B-26 Marauder. The overall configuration of the B-25 and XB-28 were fairly similar; the most important distinction was that the twin tail of the B-25 was changed to a single tail on the XB-28. It was among the first combat aircraft with a pressurized cabin.

The XB-28 proved an excellent design, with significantly better performance than that of the B-25 and it quickly replaced the B-25 in service.

Model: Anigrand 1/72
This is one of the models I finished to take to the Dutch IPMS Nationals which were scheduled for November 27th. However they were cancelled because of Covid.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

comrade harps

Whatever.

KiwiZac

As soon as I saw it I thought "If this isn't an Anigrand kit I'll eat my hat"! Beautiful work, Tom, it looks wonderful!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Dizzyfugu

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

That's a very elegant looking aircraft Tom  :thumbsup:

I've got that kit in the stash, you've now inspired me to make it a new year start. Maybe RAF ?

Sorry to hear about your Nationals being cancelled Tom. I think we were just very grateful over here in the UK that ours went on ok.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

AndrewF

jcf

Very nice.  :thumbsup:

The prototype was shiny bare metal when it was rolled out and was later painted,
which is kind of ironic because it's probable that by the time it may have entered
service the USAAF would have already gone back to bare metal.
;D

This drawing makes it clear how Marauder-ish it was.

nighthunter

What I found amusing is that they lost the XB-28A prototype in the Pacific off the coast of California, after the crew successfully bailed out.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

kitbasher

Excellent work, Tom.  The B-28 is an odd one - always looks far more like a development of the B-26 Marauder (to me the best looking of all of the US medium bombers of WW2) than the B-25 Mitchell.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on November 22, 2021, 02:54:31 AM
Excellent work, Tom.  The B-28 is an odd one - always looks far more like a development of the B-26 Marauder (to me the best looking of all of the US medium bombers of WW2) than the B-25 Mitchell.

My thoughts exactly. If I'd been shown a photo before I got the kit I would have said it was a Martin design.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.