Lightning Tomfoolery

Started by AeroplaneDriver, November 15, 2021, 05:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Started work this evening on an Airfix 1/48 Lightning F.6 that I started months ago and lost interest in. 

Plan is for it to be a RW 80s Grey machine or just maybe a Sparrow/Sidewinder armed one in some other NATO air arm.  But the shape with the belly tank fairing not yet installed got me experimenting....and wondering how it would look with a big radar and belly intake?

I don't think I'll go any further with the idea on this build, but it definitely has me thinking for future projects.

Nose from a Tornado.  Intake chopped up from an A-7 parts kit. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

The Wooksta!

I'd always thought of a two seater by grafting in a Hunter T bird front end, thereby lengthening it and using the space underneath as a chin intake.  Never could get it quite right in my head and neither did a rough mockup in plastic.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: The Wooksta! on November 15, 2021, 06:50:16 PM
I'd always thought of a two seater by grafting in a Hunter T bird front end, thereby lengthening it and using the space underneath as a chin intake.  Never could get it quite right in my head and neither did a rough mockup in plastic.

I like the basic concept here but a big part of why I plowed on with an OOB build is the intake.  The A-7 just isn't quite right.  I experimented around with an F-16 one too and that may look better with some cutting and trimming.  Definitely putting on my to-do list. 

comrade harps

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on November 15, 2021, 05:36:09 PM
Started work this evening on an Airfix 1/48 Lightning F.6 that I started months ago and lost interest in. 

Plan is for it to be a RW 80s Grey machine or just maybe a Sparrow/Sidewinder armed one in some other NATO air arm.  But the shape with the belly tank fairing not yet installed got me experimenting....and wondering how it would look with a big radar and belly intake?

I don't think I'll go any further with the idea on this build, but it definitely has me thinking for future projects.

Nose from a Tornado.  Intake chopped up from an A-7 parts kit.

I do like that. Looks snazzy :thumbsup:
Whatever.

Dizzyfugu

This arrangement would hardly stand any r/w operation. FOD would quickly ruin the engine, the front wheel will happily kick up any debris, scooped up by the gaping intake...  :-\

Maybe you extend the intake duct far enough that it opens under the radome (and in front of the front wheel), F-86D-esque? Just a thought.  :angel:

Pellson

The Tornado radome looks like this installed, but I went for side inlets rather than a belly one.

Re Thomas's concerns, I think you would need to integrate the nose gear into the inlet, or you would have a definite FOD problem. Having done so, though, I think you would be relatively fine, looking at the F-16, the Typhoon et al already set up like this.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

The Hawker P.1121 had that arrangement, and it looked pretty good to my eye.

The 1121's nosewheel retracted into the intake duct though, making the FOD problem less significant.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 16, 2021, 02:51:26 AM
This arrangement would hardly stand any r/w operation. FOD would quickly ruin the engine, the front wheel will happily kick up any debris, scooped up by the gaping intake...  :-\

Maybe you extend the intake duct far enough that it opens under the radome (and in front of the front wheel), F-86D-esque? Just a thought.  :angel:

Yeah I very quickly started thinking about how wet runway takeoffs would be "interesting".   Another reason I didn't pursue it at the moment. 

Pellson, I knew I'd seen a Tornado radome used before by someone!  I think so like your side intakes better. 

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Devilfish

I did a Lightning "F.7" years ago, and I kept the nose intake, but replaced the AI.23 with Sea Harrier Blue Fox radar, and RB.199s

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Devilfish on November 17, 2021, 05:25:22 AM

I did a Lightning "F.7" years ago, and I kept the nose intake, but replaced the AI.23 with Sea Harrier Blue Fox radar, and RB.199s

Great minds etc.

I did an F8 with RB199s and a different radome (I think it was from a Mirage, but not 100% sure...) but mine was am in-line 2 seater with stretched fuselage and a Mirage IIID canopy. Plus a few other bits and pieces of course.

It was actually on the SIG stand at Telford this year, and it goes back to the 70s some time!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

The F2-Js built under licence by Mitsubishi had a longer shock cone to house own brand type 19 radar.
English Electric Lightning F2-J 2 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=44697.0

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

AND some tricky missiles too. Are they Falcons?

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 18, 2021, 10:33:35 AM
AND some tricky missiles too. Are they Falcons?

The Falcon was actually considered but ruled out because the small warhead meant it really needed to be fired in a salvo for a good chance of a kill. Also considered were the Sidewinder, but considered no better than Firestreak at the time, and Genie.  Which seems to have been most seriously considered with wingtip, overwing, and fuselage mounting points considered. 

This build is going to be a RW 80s grey machine but I really want to do a 60s Genie Lightning sometime soon. 

Pellson

Quote from: zenrat on November 18, 2021, 02:15:10 AM
The F2-Js built under licence by Mitsubishi had a longer shock cone to house own brand type 19 radar.
English Electric Lightning F2-J 2 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=44697.0

That missile looks distinctly SAAB-ish.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!