Project Flintlock

Started by AeroplaneDriver, November 15, 2021, 01:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Not sure yet who the end user of this beastie will be so I'm going to hold on any form of backstory, and I still have a few bits & pieces on their way before I start construction but this will be my effort for this GB...

Why the Hasegawa Air-to-Air Missile set for a Gunship build you ask?  Look closely and you'll see that this set also includes a pair of GPU-5/A Gun Pods carrying the smaller version of the Mighty GAU-8 Avenger cannon.  The GPU-5/A was never a success as the recoil and vibration made accuracy unacceptable when mounted on a pylon...but What If it were mounted directly to the wing of an airframe with a reputation for being "carved from the solid"? 

And why Project Flintlock..?  Well what other kind of gun would a Buccaneer use??
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

TallEng

Oh That's a Wicked Idea :thumbsup:
using the same mounting point/fairing as the slipper tanks I guess.
Wish I'd thought of that..
Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: TallEng on November 15, 2021, 01:42:12 PM
Oh That's a Wicked Idea :thumbsup:
using the same mounting point/fairing as the slipper tanks I guess.
Wish I'd thought of that..
Regards
Keith

Exactly!  Mounted on the slipper tank points.   :thumbsup:

Rheged

A "gunship" fitting for the Buccaneer would be useful in discouraging  fast patrol boats
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Rheged on November 15, 2021, 02:01:42 PM
A "gunship" fitting for the Buccaneer would be useful in discouraging  fast patrol boats

One of the ideas floating around my head is a USN Bucc Gunship doing just that during Operation Praying Mantis. 

jcf

Pity the kit doesn't come with the bulged weapons bay door, it would be a good
start to an F-111-ish installation.

The gun installation fills the stbd. side of the weapons bay. Photo is from the
rear looking fwd.

AeroplaneDriver

Yeah I was disappointed but really the plan all along was wing mounted GPU-5 pods anyway.  In this build the bomb bay will house the fuel lost from the loss of the slipper tanks. 

jcf

Hanging on a regular pylon, so it wobbles like it did in the real world, or closer up to the wing and
faired in like the slipper tanks?
:unsure:

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 15, 2021, 05:51:04 PM
Hanging on a regular pylon, so it wobbles like it did in the real world, or closer up to the wing and
faired in like the slipper tanks?
:unsure:

As mentioned above, mounted directly to the wing at the slipper tank station to mitigate the wobble.

Old Wombat

This looks, & sounds, like fun! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

BTW, "gun wobble" ain't bad if you are on a strafing mission?

It was bad enough on the GPU-5 mounted on F-16 pylons that they abandoned it after less than a day I'm Desert Storm.

AeroplaneDriver

Dammit Dizzy. I meant To reply to your post and edited it instead!!!   Sorry!!   I forget the massive powers an Admin wields. 

This is why I am rarely allowed out. 

Dizzyfugu

;D

As long as you do not delete the internet...?

McColm

Mossie

This'll be good. :thumbsup:

Quote from: McColm on November 16, 2021, 09:44:21 AM
A pair of Adens

There was the HS.1197-1, a proposal to turn the Bucc into a CAS aircraft. Among other changes, it had a pair of Aden's in the  fuselage next to the intakes, the bomb bay being shortened to fit them in.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.