USMC F/A-20 Tigershark **DONE P5*

Started by Pepsi Concorde, November 04, 2021, 05:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My decals have arrived! Which option do you guys think would look best on a F/A-20? https://i.postimg.cc/nr0H2Hf9/IMG-5689-2.jpg

Scheme 1 (it goes R-L)
3 (42.9%)
Scheme 2
0 (0%)
Scheme 3
2 (28.6%)
Scheme 4
0 (0%)
Scheme 5
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pepsi Concorde

Hi everyone, I'm Pepsi Concorde and I'm new to this forum, although I've been a guest on here for a while.

This build will be a Hasegawa 1/72 F-20 Tigershark in USMC Markings, inspired by klintman's build, that I'm doing for a what-if group build over on Discord.
The basic backstory behind this is that just like they didn't receive the F-14, the Marines also didn't receive the F/A-18 A/B/C/D that they were famous for operating. As a result, they operated the last of their F-4s until Northrop offered them a version of their lightweight F-20, which was at the time struggling to find buyers. These aircraft were modified to serve both carrier and land-based operations and became known as the F/A-20, and the Marines purchase helped the Tigershark's sales, with it eventually being bought by other nations.

I will be using the print scale decals for F-18s in service with VMFA-212 "Lancers" and may or may not add a shark mouth for "artistic license"  :wacko:
https://i.postimg.cc/MG1KVXCb/Screenshot-2021-11-04-at-11-56-33.png

The kit and decals are currently in the post, so while I'm waiting, does anyone here have any ideas for modifications I should make to the kit? I'm already thinking strengthened gear with carrier stuff, a dorsal refuelling probe as was proposed for the production F-20, some ECM wizardry and probably a single gun

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pepsi Concorde

Gondor

Welcome aboard.

With regard to modifications to carry out, larger/thicker main wheels, you will also need to change the nose wheel to a twin wheel assembly with a bar for catapult launches.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Pepsi Concorde

Quote from: Gondor on November 04, 2021, 08:43:37 AM
Welcome aboard.

With regard to modifications to carry out, larger/thicker main wheels, you will also need to change the nose wheel to a twin wheel assembly with a bar for catapult launches.

Gondor
sourcing new wheels might be difficult as most of my stash and leftover bits are in 1/48 but im sure ill find something

kerick

I believe it's the ESCI F-5 kit that has two probes, one for the left side and one for the right. You could snatch one of those.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Pepsi Concorde

Quote from: kerick on November 04, 2021, 09:42:23 AM
I believe it's the ESCI F-5 kit that has two probes, one for the left side and one for the right. You could snatch one of those.
Might be a good idea, as those kits seem very cheap. I think when the kit arrives ill take a look at whats inside and what I've got and go from there

diegoepoimaria

Yeee, another F-20 fan! :D

Welcome aboard.

Gondor
As said before, front landing gear should have the launchbar, and probably the twin wheel too ( I don't know any aircraft with the launch bar and a single front wheel ).
Also, a streinghtened tailhook is important.
Usually bigger wheels were fitted ( see the phantoms ) so maybe buged wheel doors, but that would be hardly noticeable.

Maybe bigger control surfaces ?
Like bigger tailplanes to help control it at low speed during carrier landing.

Usually NAVY ( and so USMC too ) had always used internal ECM , instead of external as the Air Force did, so I'd go with ECM bumps like the Hornet.
If I remember correctly, the F-20 was to have a single probe between the two guns , that can be retracted and totally covered by it's door.
Consider that USN and USMC use the proube and drougue system.
The F-5 has the option for a fixed probe tough, and you can use that instead, or scratch build the probe in the nose ( if you want to go with a single gun in the center, like the F/A-18's gatling ).

Add chaff and flares bucket, and you're set.

I love F-20, and I can't wait to see yours!

Good luck and have fun! :D

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Pepsi Concorde

Quote from: diegoepoimaria on November 04, 2021, 10:03:13 AM
Yeee, another F-20 fan! :D

Welcome aboard.

Gondor
As said before, front landing gear should have the launchbar, and probably the twin wheel too ( I don't know any aircraft with the launch bar and a single front wheel ).
Also, a streinghtened tailhook is important.
Usually bigger wheels were fitted ( see the phantoms ) so maybe buged wheel doors, but that would be hardly noticeable.

Maybe bigger control surfaces ?
Like bigger tailplanes to help control it at low speed during carrier landing.

Usually NAVY ( and so USMC too ) had always used internal ECM , instead of external as the Air Force did, so I'd go with ECM bumps like the Hornet.
If I remember correctly, the F-20 was to have a single probe between the two guns , that can be retracted and totally covered by it's door.
Consider that USN and USMC use the proube and drougue system.
The F-5 has the option for a fixed probe tough, and you can use that instead, or scratch build the probe in the nose ( if you want to go with a single gun in the center, like the F/A-18's gatling ).

Add chaff and flares bucket, and you're set.

I love F-20, and I can't wait to see yours!

Good luck and have fun! :D

Very helpful diego, i think i will use the kits nose probe and make a casing for it on the side of the front fuselage like the f-5 has. Regarding wheels i can rob some from an old airfix f-18 i have and i think ill have to get chaff/flare buckets somehwere from the internet.

Tophe

Quote from: Pepsi Concorde on November 04, 2021, 05:06:48 AM
does anyone here have any ideas for modifications I should make to the kit?
I would not say "should" but I have ideas for "could" (if crazy like me): for instance, no tailplane but 3 fins (or 1 fin + V-tail) ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Pepsi Concorde

Quote from: Tophe on November 04, 2021, 10:17:44 AM
Quote from: Pepsi Concorde on November 04, 2021, 05:06:48 AM
does anyone here have any ideas for modifications I should make to the kit?
I would not say "should" but I have ideas for "could" (if crazy like me): for instance, no tailplane but 3 fins (or 1 fin + V-tail) ;)
Well Iran made a twin-tail F-5...

Tophe

You are right (I had forgotten): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HESA_Saeqeh
Will you build the single-engine Saeqeh 2? ;)
(no need, this is just a fantasy idea. After gathering all ideas, make your own choice)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Pepsi Concorde

Pepsi Concorde

Quote from: Tophe on November 04, 2021, 10:34:48 AM
You are right (I had forgotten): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HESA_Saeqeh
Will you build the single-engine Saeqeh 2? ;)
(no need, this is just a fantasy idea. After gathering all ideas, make your own choice)
I wonder what the backstory behind that would be, as the original was created when they were running out of spare F-5 parts for obvious reasons, and who other than iran would operate it?