USN McDonnell-Westland A2H-1 Wyvern-COMPLETED

Started by AeroplaneDriver, November 01, 2021, 05:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

It feels like an eternity since I did any meaningful modeling.  In reality it's a few months but after going through one of my manic Model-A-Week phases earlier in the year it feels a long while.  Work, travel, other projects and a general lack of Mojo all contributed. 

But the cooler weather has me craving evenings at the bench again so I decided on a What If project I've had in mind for quite a while.

It takes a good bit of suspension of disbelief to realistically see the Wyvern in USN service, but let's for a moment imagine a fatigue cracking problem emerging in the Skyraider fleet, leading to its early retirement and the USN desperately wanting something to fill the CAS gap before the A-4 arrives in significant numbers.  Throw some Pentagon money the way of the Wyvern and some of its shortcomings get worked out and the USN operates it well into the 60s alongside the A-4 the way the Skyraider did...anyway, that's the basis of the backstory this one will end up with.

For now here is progress so far.  Began Saturday night and this reflects about 4-5 hours at the bench. It will be in the classic USN 60s Light Gull over white, since that is one of my all time favorite schemes.  I think it will be a Vietnam machine though undecided on loadout.  One result of US development could be additional pylons but really the wing is quite small.  I might end up loading up 4 wing hard points with SUU-11 mini gun pods and making a Gunship.  Started it Oct 30 so not eligible for the Gunship GB, but then neither am I as a Mod so if I go that direction it will end up in the "Inspiration" thread.  Then again a pair of Napalm tanks inboard and rocket launchers outboard would look nice too I bet.  Decisions, decisions...

Kit is the lovely Trumpeter 1/48 S.4 (Late). 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

AeroplaneDriver

Oh, and meant to mention, the McDonnell-Westland A2H designation is credited to a profile from JP Santiago some years back.

AeroplaneDriver

USN colors on.  A little touching up to do but I work all day tomorrow so going to let it dry for a day then tackle a bit more on Wednesday.   Still waiting for decals to arrive anyway.

Old Wombat

Since when has a Mod not been able to enter a build into their own GB? :o

Wyvern a very strange but cool looking beast, be following this one! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

crudebuteffective

i wasnt aware that mods couldnt enter the GB
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

zenrat

Mods are eligible to partake AD.
It's up to you of course if you don't.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

AeroplaneDriver

I won't enter with this one for sure because I started it Oct 30.  Plus I'm leaning towards nape and rockets. 

There is another kit in the stash earmarked for a pure Gunship build for the GB though. 

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on November 02, 2021, 04:13:16 AM
Mods are eligible to partake AD.
It's up to you of course if you don't.

Absolutely.  :thumbsup:

It's purely up to a Moderator if they enter a GB or not. I always encourage them to, but fully understand if they'd rather not.

As for the Wyvern ? I've always liked it and have built a couple of 1/72 kits (I have the Czech Master TF.1 in the stash which I keep meaning to do in BPF markings) so I'm looking forward to seeing this in US markings.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

I cannot help it, but a Wyvern rather cries for USMC duty than the UN as operator?  :o

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 02, 2021, 09:03:45 AM
I cannot help it, but a Wyvern rather cries for USMC duty than the UN as operator?  :o

It could end up as either depending on which decals I decide look best.  Also I get what you're saying, but in my backstory the Wyvern will be an interim replacement for the Skyraider, which the USMC phased out in the late 50s.  It really will come down to my favorite decals though. 

NARSES2

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on November 02, 2021, 11:43:32 AM
It really will come down to my favorite decals though.

A lot of my builds come down to that  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

AeroplaneDriver

Quick update. Starting to feel quite good about how it's looking. 

Some of you may know that I am not a patient builder. More manic really. Once I start a kit and get into it I want to see it on the shelf ASAP. So since the Skyraider decals I ordered won't arrive until next week I raided the spares/aftermarket box and decided that this A2H will be flying with VA-146, the "Blue Diamonds".  In my timeline they operate the Wyvern before the Skyhawk instead of the Fury.

Gondor

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on November 03, 2021, 11:09:58 PM
Quick update. Starting to feel quite good about how it's looking. 

Some of you may know that I am not a patient builder. More manic really. Once I start a kit and get into it I want to see it on the shelf ASAP. So since the Skyraider decals I ordered won't arrive until next week I raided the spares/aftermarket box and decided that this A2H will be flying with VA-146, the "Blue Diamonds".  In my timeline they operate the Wyvern before the Skyhawk instead of the Fury.

All sounds very reasonable and it's looking good in those markings as well. Like the spinner a lot.  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....