USNavy F/A-18E/F replacement ideas

Started by McColm, November 01, 2021, 06:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Although the USNavy is looking at various concepts for the F/A-E/F replacement, I was thinking of the designs that never made it into service such as the Grumman A-12 Avenger II or a naval version of the YF-23.
The Boeing X-32 CTOL could also reemerge with a few changes, so far I haven't heard of the F-35A or F-35C being mentioned as a contender, so it could be back to the Lockheed F-117N or even the carrier version of the
F-16XL.
Even the Beechcraft Starship in Navy colours might be worth a whiff with turbofaned engines or even the Piaggio P.180 Avanti.

sandiego89

I would say any version of the F-35 or F-32 is a non-starter as a "strike-fighter" replacement.  It is too compromised by the attack mission requirements, and the STOVL requirement for the B version that compromised it even more, resulting in a fat, single-engine, strike aircraft, with some fighter capability.

We are WAY past any flat-paneled F-117 derivative.  As much as I like the F-117, computer capability has come a long way since the design of the F-117, and signature reduction can be achieved with more efficient curved surfaces. 

F-16XL looks pretty, but not the right shape for a Naval aircraft where low speed controllability around the pattern is essential.

I bet on a clean sheet design, or perhaps another merging of the future USAF and Navy programs, without the nearly impossible and painful compromises of the F-111 or the F-35.  These programs seem closer than the F-111 and JSF/F-35 programs were.       
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Flyer

Quote from: McColm on November 01, 2021, 06:41:06 AM
Even the Beechcraft Starship in Navy colours might be worth a whiff with turbofaned engines or even the Piaggio P.180 Avanti.

As a F/A-18 replacement?  :o :unsure:

;D

Seriously though what are they up to now, the G or is it H model by now? I think they will keep modding the design until they have operated Hornet's A-Z!  :wacko:
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

McColm

Quote from: Flyer on November 01, 2021, 07:55:09 PM

;D
No that's one of my ideas  from what I have seen of the concept artwork it's a blended wing on what looks to as it is the YF-23.
The Starship and the Avanti in my opinion would be placed in the ASW or EW roles. I'm just shaking the tree for ideas.

Seriously though what are they up to now, the G or is it H model by now? I think they will keep modding the design until they have operated Hornet's A-Z!  :wacko:

Jesse220

How about a stealth fighter with forward-swept wings?

McColm

Quote from: Jesse220 on November 02, 2021, 01:13:22 PM
Good one,here's one I built.

Jesse220

Quote from: McColm on November 02, 2021, 03:01:29 PM
Quote from: Jesse220 on November 02, 2021, 01:13:22 PM
Good one,here's one I built.

Interesting design, that would work with stealth tech.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Flyer on November 01, 2021, 07:55:09 PM

;D

The A-4 made it to "Q"... :rolleyes:

McColm

Something like this as a cheaper option.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 03, 2021, 12:13:07 AM

The AH-1 is up to Z already, no idea where they go from here.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 03, 2021, 06:24:24 AM

Γ, Δ, Θ, Λ, Ξ, Π, Σ, Φ, Ψ & Ω :angel:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rheged

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 03, 2021, 11:35:44 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 03, 2021, 06:24:24 AM

Γ, Δ, Θ, Λ, Ξ, Π, Σ, Φ, Ψ & Ω :angel:

And when the Greek alphabet is exhausted.....Alef', Bet, Gimel, Dalet  etc.  from the Hebrew
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Joe C-P

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.