Started builds that were never finished with photos

Started by McColm, October 24, 2021, 11:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

I thought I would include some of my started builds that have never been completed due to moving or left behind. Some were given to my nephews and nieces.
Take a 1/72 Revell/Matchbox Handley Page Victor K2 kit, add the resin Cammett BAe Nimrod AEW.3 conversion set and use the Academy Boeing KC-97G boomers glazing for the new cockpit and you will come up with the HP Victor AEW.3.

I intend to build this one again using the new Airfix Victor as the donor kit.
"The shack with the stack " started life as the 1/72 Frog Avro Shackleton MR.3. I read somewhere that the Rolls-Royce Griffon engines were proving to be unreliable so the American Pratt &Whitney  R3500 supercharged were being considered as a replacement. I also used the Mach2 Grumman E-1B Tracer radome as an alternative to the Avro Shackleton AEW.2 and got as far as this.

The left over parts from the Frog kit were used for the contra- rotating propellers.
Parts leftover from the 1/72 Grumman E-2C Hawkeye were used on this Frog Avro Shackleton MR.3 , with a new name The Avro Carlton AEW or turboprop Shackleton AEW.3.

Dizzyfugu

That's looking very s€xy!  :thumbsup:

The stretched fuselage (and the odd shape thorugh the radomes) suits the Victor very well.  :lol:

McColm

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 25, 2021, 12:01:55 AM
That's looking very s€xy!  :thumbsup:

The stretched fuselage (and the odd shape thorugh the radomes) suits the Victor very well.  :lol:
Thanks  :thumbsup:

McColm

It's not just aircraft that I build,  I had a go at creating my version of the Triumph Lynx using the Revell snap together kit and the hatchback from a Dodge. It's the red car parked next to my white 1/24 Triumph TR7 for a comparison.

My first kitbash that I ever sold was based on the Airfix 1/72 Boeing B-29A, with parts from a B-17G as the cockpit,  turboprop engines I think that they came from a C-130 kit and the Grumman E-2 Hawkeye. Artwork curtsey of stickers and the nose from the David J.Parkins EC-135N conversion set. I called this The Boeing Wyton AEW.

McColm

The shelves.
On the top shelf you can see that Mach2 does make a decent kit if you apply 5 coats of paint to it and change the engines to turbofans the Martin Marina AEW.1. Next to this is a kitbash using the RVHP resin Grumman Greyhound conversion set, the wings are from the Grumman E-2 Hawkeye along with the engines,  the T-tail was scratch built.

A closer view

Middle shelf and the TR7 has been joined by a couple of diecast cars,  lurking in the corner was the Dayglo  F-19 .A rare find and I was in the process of restoring it until my nephew got hold of it and strapped it to a rocket in his mum's garden during fireworks night. Yes it does glow in the dark right up to when the rocket died! I never did find it.

Pellson

Marvellous thread!  :wub:
So far, I have to admit that Victor AEW is my favourite too.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

McColm

I have destroyed a few of the Airfix 1/72 H.S./BAe Nimrod MR.1 or R.1, MR.2 or R.2 which ever variant you want to build.  Yes I did build the AEW.3 but I don't have any photos of it. My brother-in-law has it down in Falmouth Cornwall, but there is this. The fuselage has been stretched and I did intend to use the RVHP Lockheed EC-121 Warning Star WV2 test aircraft for the Boeing E-3A.

I think that this build may have been recycled for the  Avro Canadian Mystic as seen here. It's roughly based around the Avro Atlantic passenger aircraft or Sea Vulcan using the Airfix Avro Vulcan wings plus engines and vertical tail.  I don't know why I painted it green.

McColm

A 1/72 Heller DC-6B with my first go at simulating revolving propellers on the left hand side.
Next to it is my version of the Br.1250 flying boat concept based on the Breguet Br. 1150 Atlantic ATL1.
The wings are from the Airfix Valiant, main fuselage is a Revell Breguet Br.1150 Atlantic, hull came from a Martin Marlin and the twin tail fins are also from the old Airfix Vulcans. The Cammett BAe Nimrod AEW.3 conversion set was also used.
I think I called this project the Breguet/Vickers Mystic AEW. It might be in the stash .

McColm

This is what happens when you kitbash the Mach2 sud Caravelle with the Airfix BAe Nimrod MR.1.
The Revell Blohm and Voss BV-222 with the wings from the old Airfix Avro Vulcan.
Another view of the Blohm & Voss Sledgehammer

McColm

It's the 1/72 Martin Majestic MR.1 amphibious flying boat.
My first attempt in using the Mach2 Martin SeaMaster with the engines from the Airfix BAe Nimrod MR.1 and the resin Cammett BAe Nimrod AEW.3 conversion set. Although I never did get around to finishing this build the resin radomes were fitted to the 1/72 Revell/Monogram RB-36H kit as well as the wings and engines from a B-52G.

McColm

Another one from another Facebook page

I'm not too sure about this one, looks like the wings from a Airfix Avro Vulcan, fuselage from an Academy Boeing B-377 and the tail but why did I chop it off and what is it glued on to? The middle section doesn't make sense either.
Looks like an early attempt at a Seaplane
Another poor quality photo showing the side view.

McColm

I apologise for the poor photo quality, pictures taken from my mobile phone.

It's a 1/72 Boeing B-17F  with three Rolls-Royce Griffon engines and floats.
This was one of my earliest attempts of building a Seaplane AEW.
Another view makes this all clear

There have been three engined B-17s but I haven't seen any with floats or Rolls-Royce Griffon powered.

McColm

Based on the Airfix BAe Nimrod kit,  my version of the Nimrod AEW.3 with the Hawkeye rotodome and inflight refuelling boom. Apologies for the poor photo quality.

A view from above

McColm

Another 1/72 kitbash

A three engined Lockheed Neptune AEW

ericr