WW2..but not like we know it.

Started by Wardukw, September 28, 2021, 04:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Warning..lots of pics here ...
WW2..in an alternate world ... many things a pretty similar but many things are not ..the cammo is differant..the tanks might share the same names but not the design but one thing which does not change,, War.
Righto then .. to the models so far... i wanted this at the start to be just another WW2 tank dio but its 1946 or close to then ,,so we'd have a Pershing and a Up gunned Tiger .. BORING!!!!!!
Then my ever so slightl warped brain went to work,,.oh by the way the bridge idea was there right from the get go ... i know for a fact that the Germans where seriously thinking about throwing the L71 88mm gun into a Tiger one but then ya start thinking about it ..yes they would need to cut down the recoil system to get it into a normal Tiger turret but what would happen or be needed to be done to get a standard L 71 gun into a Tigers turret ,,a longer turret is whats needed .but then that makes other problems as you all shall see .
20210609_071338 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
20210609_071206 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Right the turret is done ..nothing super techy here..new upper turret armour ..new and much bigger coaxial cannon..in this case 20mm and some extra side turret armour to be added later but the mounts are there. 
20210724_145506 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
20210724_145714 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Now this you can see is one freakin large turret and that hull is looking freakin small ,,so what do you do,,cut up a perfectly good hull..and lengthen it .
20210825_213040 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Oh threw a engine in it from a box of crap i have and i didnt even know it was in there until i sorted it out ..quite a nice find ..
20210825_213327 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr

Ok thats all for now but just to keep ya interested..check this out
20210722_114112 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr

:wacko:

Phill

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

jcf

The commander will need to be a contortionist or a dwarf.  ;D

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Once my new air brush arrives i can do more damage to this dio...but hell theres heaps more to go yet..alot of PE for the Tiger ..tool mounts which for model are 3 piece and bloody small ..then ill have to make the tow cables which is easy and some finer details..all part of this project im afraid  ;D 

Phill
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Wardukw

Ok Jon mentioned about the commander having to be a contortionist to fit into the turret..well heres the gist guys..the depth from the turret floor to the inside upper edge of the hatch is 27.6mm ..believe it or not i dont actually have a German tank commander figure so im using a British one and hes 50mm tall ..there is 26mm pocking out of thr turret roof and with those mesurements there is more than enough room for him to be able to get in..sit down and command that tank..now to be even more pedantic heres the turrets mesurements from front to back ..
Front.....17.6mm
Back... 24.5mm..excluding the commanders hatch and turret ring base.
Ive done some other checking and theres as much space there for the boss dude as there is in a Sherman..fact theres alittle bit more in this Tiger.
Hope this clears things up at least a little bit 😊

Phill

Wardukw

Ok this is slower than snail poop when it comes to building this dio but it is moving ,,,i have decided i dont like the base of the dio anymore ,,ive come up with a better idea and not only will it look better it will also look better  ;D
This is the original base for the diorama ..
DSCF3581 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3582 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3583 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Ive never been happy with the area at the top where the allied tank is sitting ,,,the clay is crap and cracked like crazy ,,so a wee bit of surgery has taken place ..one reason is its to high and too heavy and the new idea requires hacking and destruction..
DSCF3584 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3585 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3586 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
This is going to get new bricks which are going to look terrible compared to the ones which were there they looked to perfect and the damage and ageing didnt look right
and they were shaped from a solid block of plaster ,,the new ones will be glued one at a time because here in this POS country you cant buy XPS foam ,,at all and watching other models builders overseas using it annoys the absolute hell out of me so the route i am taking .
Im also going back to my old fav when it comes to clay ...DAS .. its far better than the crap i used before ,,i left the top of this out side and it rained and the clay went all soft again ,,,never seen that before with this stuff ,,not a problem with DAS  ;D
This dio will be moving a bit faster now as the ideas i have i want to make happen and it will clear 2 tanks of my shelves  :lol:

Rick Lowe

Coming along nicely, Phill - yeah, it can get annoying when you have to deconstruct something that far advanced, but you have to do what you have to do...
and less is more, as they say.

I understand and agree with your frustration about not being able to get some things here, especially when they pass it off as 'due to covid'... :angry:

Have you tried using blue or green foam? It's easy to work with, and as long as you seal it properly will take the usual suspects as to paints... just don't use any turps-based washes...
Pretty easy to get, as long as you can find a local supplier - try here:

https://www.knaufinsulation.co.nz/home-owners/insulation-range/extruded-polystyrene-xps-board

Wardukw

Oh we both share that pain Rick..so what do we do ? ...try coming up with another idea ..ive already had some thoughts about what im going to use ..cork for one and thanks a heap for that link but heres the fumny thing..that reminded me of EXPOL in Auckland ..they stock high grade poly which you use fiber glass on and it wont melt..brought some a very long minute ago ..and it was green  :thumbsup:
Oh dont believe Bunnings wedsite..they dont have it.
The mine annoyances i had with that base was the grove mate..its wasnt there ..for most of it in fact..the ideas arrived and the grove followed..the next verison is gonna be much better and easier to build but look alot better at the same time ..love it when that happens  ;D

zenrat

I like it how was.  But the blocks did look too perfect.  Maybe some moss on them would have helped?
However, i'm sure it's going to look even betterer.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on August 10, 2022, 04:46:20 AM
I like it how was.  But the blocks did look too perfect.  Maybe some moss on them would have helped?
However, i'm sure it's going to look even betterer.

Same here! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

What got me think about the height was any bridge that would be the tall and hold the weight of heavy trucks would be a much substantial structure and not made of wood and i couldnt get it to look right.
The new lower idea is more back woods but at some time it was a well made bridge but that was a long time ago so the new build will reflect that .
Instead of those prefect blocks ill use imperfect bricks ..something which a small town could build on the cheap and i can paint them different colours and have better weathering.
I do have moulds for making 35th scale bricks so thats another way i can go.
Still going to hunt down some poly in Auckland next week .

Rick Lowe

Glad I could help, and good hunting!
Looking forward to seeing this progress. :thumbsup:

Wardukw

Cheers Rick..ill be making more progress on this soon enough.
When i need a break from the hillclimb car ill play with this ..ill need to make a heap of bricks and luckily ive got a nice supply of cork ..was going use it for a Bigboy locomotive build but that can wait...man theres going to be a heap of measuring  ;D