M60 Excarvator

Started by Wardukw, September 24, 2021, 06:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Hey guys ...its play time for me now ,,,I've finally got this Flickr thing sorted and its time to show you some of what I've been up to .
This beast is something i came across on the net on day looking for everything and anything that might spark up some will to build something I've never built before and since i had a academy m60 sitting in the very small pile that someone had started and then lost all hope of finishing i picked up for a song.
So to the build ...ill throw some pics in this post to get ya taste buds going for more  ;D.....slightly up myself with that comment  :rolleyes:
I built the rest of the tank as you would and then the turret ..heres where the mods started..removed the gun and plated the area where the main arm goes along with the rams and pipes .
Which i didnt take a pic of but i will ...so ill just throw a few pics on here for now before i go into much more detail ( laptop is running low on grunt )
20210724_150338 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
20210717_212546 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
20210717_212511 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
20181220_150807 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Ive still got to play a bit more with the pic sizes but i think these should be ok for now because theres a crap more to follow .
Theres also a couple of dioramas to follow too...one thats finished and one im still building which to be honest im loving how its turning out with two very modified tanks .

Well guys ill speck again soon

Cheers
Phill

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Wardukw

Ok a little back story on this build..the one i found is a very real vehicle but looking at the arm and bucket it looks like its off nothing bigger than a 10ton mechine and i wanted bigger.
Building the arms was easy and you can see in the pics that the main arm is red..wellll its from the same Hasgawa Hitachi double armed excarvator ..yup the same one Guy used to build his very cool beast ..ill post pics of what i did to mine Wednesday next week.
The thumb you see was something  i wanted to add only a month ago..i had to change the mounts on the bucket to be able to mount the thumb .
It started with a guy i watch on youtube called letsdigit18..on Chris's Volvo he has a thumb that he basically designed ..its called a progressive link thumb ..smaller hydraulic ram but more grabbing power...and i wanted that so hunted down pics of it and went to town and yup more bits of the Hasagawa kit.
I was very happy that it works exactly like the real thing with full movment .
Next stage was all the hydraulic hoses ..pretty simple stuff there ..the blade is part of the kit i brought but it still needed a little cleaning up and parts added.
Next is painting it and im thinking of something mucky..it was built for a apocalyptic diorama which now i can post pics im gonna start building again so its like its a abandoned and brought back to life .
Right thats enough for now  ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

buzzbomb

However you do it.. it is looking very impressive so far

kerick

This would have made the heavy equipment guys in my old Air Force civil engineering squadron very excited! I don't know which would have been more popular, being the operator or manning the .50 cal!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

LOVE the hydraulics on the excavator arm! But being a hydraulics engineer I would do, wouldn't I?  ;D

Very realistic, even the hose fittings look real, where did that part come from?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Well, there you go! Hitachis everywhere! ;D ;)

Like where you're taking this, mate! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Wardukw

Thanks guys ..lovin ya comments and this is a very enjoyable build so theres no way in hell i can do a so to speck cheap paint job on it.
Guy mate i knew you'd like the Hasagawa bits  :lol: and man did they come in handy.
PR19 mate those fittings are dead easy to make..those parts all came from my scrap pile..i drill a small hole then insert a piece of copper wire into it..then cut a small piece of alloy tubing..over the copper it goes..CA glue holds that in place..then the plastic tubing slips over the copper and bingo bango your done.
The tubing is becoming a issue now tho..trying to get my hands on it so i hunt it down where ever i can.
I would have a problem with either the .50 cal and the operating of it as i love playing with both  ;D

Wardukw

Cheers Thomas mate  ;D this is one of my fav models .

zenrat

Looks good.  I can picture it with zombies in the bucket.

Try The Parts Box for hose.
https://www.thepartsbox.com/product-category/the-parts-box/engines-drivetrain/wiring-plumbing/
Good people.  Based in the Adelaide Hills.  Postage to NZ shouldn't be too much.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Old Wombat

I get the feeling the title is a typo & should read "M60 Excavator", so I haven't wanted to mention it.

However, the title, as stands, brings all sorts of Post-Apocalyptic images to mind;
- from the Mad Max-esque; "The mightly ex-Carve-ator, shredding the enemies of Saucy Cyril, Queen of the Wasteland Highway";
- to the cobbled together ex-Carvator, chomping through hordes of the undead in some zombie gore-fest.

;D ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

😆😆  Guy ya smart arse 😁
Yes its a spelling bobo but if we work on the idea that it wasn't then its a home run mate 😊
Besides i dont crunch-cavator works ..or crush-cavator but  smashing nine colours of you know what out of zombies works very nicely for me lol
Hmmmm the carve-avator ?

alfavega

Wardukw

Thats the bugger alfavega mate..ive got probably 30 pics of that machine ..its the pics which made me decide to go bigger  ;)