Mir Rescue Mission, 2000

Started by Alvis 3.14159, September 20, 2021, 01:52:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alvis 3.14159

With the discovery in 1999 that the ex-Soviet Mir Space Station was due to crash into Denver Colorado in the next 18 months, the National Security Agency utilised a small portion of it's "Dark Arts" budget and attempted a mission to prevent the catastrophe. Using a combination of cold-war era American and Soviet space vehicles, the mission launched from a secret US launch facility located on Kwajalein Atoll

Alvis 3.14159

Uprated F-1 engines powered a modified first stage, which sported enlarged fins for added low stability when launching oversized or bulky payloads.

The second stage had uprated SSME RS-25 engines, and was stretched to allow for additional fuel, enough to loft the Buran shuttle into orbit.

SRBs from the STS Shuttle program were sourced, although slightly shorter than standard issue units. They allowed the stack to have enough thrust for liftoff, and dropped off sooner than the ones used on an American shuttle would have.

Alvis 3.14159

The Soviet-era Buran shuttle was hastily refurbished and incorporated several components from spares "borrowed" from NASA and several contractors that were involved in the building and maintenance of the US shuttle fleet. The Buran was utilised as it could be used without arousing any suspicion, unlike the US shuttles, as their absence from the flight schedule would be difficult to explain. Several options for boosting Mir into a higher orbit or rapidly de-orbiting it were carried in the capacious cargo bay (although the Russians had offered to use a 20 year old ASAT device, but safety concerns led to that being rejected)

The primary pilot was "Bad" Bobby Lousma, the evil twin of Jack Lousma, who is one of the nicest people around. Bobby added some USMC markings, and personalised the port side of the Buran. It's unknown who "Barb" is, but it's rumoured she runs a top secret bar in an abandoned Titan II missile silo somewhere in the American Southwest.

zenrat

:thumbsup:

Very good.  Do the tiles absolutely have to be the colours they are on Burans (and Shuttles) or is there scope for a repaint?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Oh I like that!  :thumbsup:

Not as crazy as the uninitiated might think either. Several early Space Shuttle concept had it launching via a Saturn 5.
Some used the S-1C stage unmodifed, others added wings, cockpit, wheels and jet engines in order to make it recoverable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn-Shuttle

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on September 20, 2021, 03:28:58 AM

Very good.  Do the tiles absolutely have to be the colours they are on Burans (and Shuttles) or is there scope for a repaint?

The "real world" reason <<LINK!>> (pertinent extracts below):
Reinforced Carbon-carbon (the grey): protects areas where temperatures exceed 2,300F during entry.
Black High-Temperature Reusable Surface Insulation (HRSI) (the black tiles): protect areas where temperatures are below 2,300F.
Fibrous Refractory Composite Insulation (FRCI) (more black tiles): mostly used on the base of the shuttle; this is where the highest heat is encountered.
Low-Temperature Reusable Surface Insulation (LRSI) (the white tiles): protect areas where temperatures are below 1,200F. The tiles are white since while in orbit the shuttle encounters extremely low temperatures and the white surface provides better thermal characteristics when the temperature is below 0F.
Advanced Flexible Reusable Surface Insulation (AFRSI) blankets (more white): used in areas where the temperature does not exceed 1,200F.
Nomex Felt Reusable Surface Insulation (even more white): used in areas where the temperature does not exceed 700F (bay doors and portions of the upper wing)

Of course, this being Whiffworld, there's always a whiffy solution, like Unobtanium, Spackmanium, or Narsesnium, etc. having superior thermal characteristics versus the standard tile/blanket materials, which allows for the shuttle to be painted in a "pattern disruptive scheme".
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Quote from: scooter on September 20, 2021, 06:39:55 AM
Of course, this being Whiffworld, there's always a whiffy solution, like Unobtanium, Spackmanium, or Narsesnium, etc. having superior thermal characteristics versus the standard tile/blanket materials, which allows for the shuttle to be painted in a "pattern disruptive scheme".

I'm both honoured and humbled sir  ;) :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

That's a terrible joke on the Cargo Door side..... I like it  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Alvis 3.14159

Quote from: Weaver on September 20, 2021, 04:41:23 AM
Oh I like that!  :thumbsup:

Not as crazy as the uninitiated might think either. Several early Space Shuttle concept had it launching via a Saturn 5.
Some used the S-1C stage unmodifed, others added wings, cockpit, wheels and jet engines in order to make it recoverable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn-Shuttle

That's where I drew my inspiration from for this build. I toyed with an S1 Flyback option, but for the sake of actually completing something, I skipped past that.

buzzbomb

Weaver

Quote from: Alvis 3.14159 on September 20, 2021, 03:19:43 PM
That's where I drew my inspiration from for this build. I toyed with an S1 Flyback option, but for the sake of actually completing something, I skipped past that.

Thunked as much.

There were MUCH madder schemes than that delta Shuttle-on-steroids in the pic. One had low-mounted 747-style wings right aft with 6 or 8 jet engines on their top surfaces and an asymetric fighter-style cockpit on one wing... :o Trying to build flyback boosters in Kerbal Space Program immediately shows you the reason for this layout: once its tanks are empty, the booster's CofG is right at the back near the engines, so getting the centre of lift behind it becomes a problem. One way to solve it is swept wings mounted right aft, then they make launch pad arrangements more complicated. Another approach is to drag the empty CofG forwards by putting everything else (cockpit, flyback engines etc..) right at the nose, but then that brings issues of it's own, namely that all the intakes and exhausts have to be retractable.

There was another scheme to have the S-1C descend on giant parachutes and get plucked out of the air by a giant helicopter! Electron in NZ have recently revisited this idea, but on a much smaller scale.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Quote from: scooter on September 20, 2021, 06:39:55 AM
Quote from: zenrat on September 20, 2021, 03:28:58 AM

The "real world" reason <<LINK!>> (pertinent extracts below):
Reinforced Carbon-carbon (the grey): protects areas where temperatures exceed 2,300F during entry.
Black High-Temperature Reusable Surface Insulation (HRSI) (the black tiles): protect areas where temperatures are below 2,300F.
Fibrous Refractory Composite Insulation (FRCI) (more black tiles): mostly used on the base of the shuttle; this is where the highest heat is encountered.
Low-Temperature Reusable Surface Insulation (LRSI) (the white tiles): protect areas where temperatures are below 1,200F. The tiles are white since while in orbit the shuttle encounters extremely low temperatures and the white surface provides better thermal characteristics when the temperature is below 0F.
Advanced Flexible Reusable Surface Insulation (AFRSI) blankets (more white): used in areas where the temperature does not exceed 1,200F.
Nomex Felt Reusable Surface Insulation (even more white): used in areas where the temperature does not exceed 700F (bay doors and portions of the upper wing)

Thanks Scoot.
I was thinking keep the black parts but give the white areas digital camo in grey.  Or a Tiger Meet scheme?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..