Kawasaki H1 Mach III (RW Build)

Started by zenrat, September 17, 2021, 04:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Kawasaki H1 Mach III.

Kawasaki 500-SS Mach III (H1) - 1 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

By mid-1960s, the US had become the largest motorcycle market. American riders were demanding bikes with more horsepower and higher maximum speeds. Kawasaki already had the largest-displacement Japanese machine with their 650 cc four-stroke W series, but it did not fit the niche Kawasaki was aiming for. Honda had introduced its Honda CB450 in 1965 and in 1969, the Suzuki T500 Titan/Cobra appeared. Also in development was the Yamaha XS 650. Already familiar with the Honda CB450, Kawasaki development began work on the top secret N100 Plan in 1967.

Kawasaki 500-SS Mach III (H1) - 3 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The goal was to produce a motorcycle with 500 cc displacement that was able to develop 60 hp and have 13-second quarter-mile times, then considered over the achievable limit for a road bike.  When announced, the H1 was critiqued in UK motorcycling press for their "own ambitious claim" of "the fastest and best accelerating road machine ever produced, being capable of 124 mph and 12.4 sec. [sic] for the standing start quarter mile".  Cycle World's 1969 test quoted 119.14 mph and 13.20 seconds, with bike-retailer Reads of London at 109 and 13.5, whereas Dutch motorcycle drag racer Henk Vink, importer of Kawasakis into the Netherlands, was quoted as achieving 13.48.[5]

Kawasaki 500-SS Mach III (H1) - 4 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Mach III appeared in the US in 1969 with a white sculpted fuel tank and blue racing stripe along the lower part of the tank, and special Dunlop K77 tires.

Kawasaki 500-SS Mach III (H1) - 7 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The engine was a three-cylinder two stroke with a displacement of 499 cc. It had Mikuni VM 28 mm carburetors, and thyristor-based capacitor discharge ignition (CDI) developing 25,000–30,000 volts.

Kawasaki 500-SS Mach III (H1) - 8 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Though not a direct successor of the Kawasaki W2, the W2 was the only four-stroke motorcycle Kawasaki had for the American market and that market was not like that of Japan where the W2 sold well. In the US, the Mach III proved to be very popular.  Motorcyclist said the Mach III's power-to-weight ratio was the best "ever produced in a motorcycle meant to sell to anyone who has the money to purchase it."

Kawasaki 500-SS Mach III (H1) - 9 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Handling characteristics were not favorable according to many sources. "Viewed logically, the Kawasaki H1 had many flaws. The gearbox was odd, with neutral below first, the brakes very questionable and the handling decidedly marginal in every situation - except when the bike was stopped with the engine switched off."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_H1_Mach_III

Kawasaki 500-SS Mach III (H1) - 10 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

An OOB build of a 1/12 Hasegawa kit.  When I saw Hasegawa had kitted this I just had to buy one as it is a motorcycle I have always wanted to own IRL.  With too much power for it's tyres, drum brakes and a frame reputed to have a hinge in the middle I would probably have killed myself had I got my hands on one.

Kawasaki 500-SS Mach III (H1) - 13 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Spokes are a bit thick but that's down to the limits of injection moulding and strength of the styrene.  It also suffers from all the tubes supplied for cables and lines being the same (overlarge in a lot of cases) size.
Its an exercise in different metal finishes which are Alclad, Mr Metal Color, Tamiya enamel, or Molotow chrome.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Very well done, it IMHO looks great.  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on September 17, 2021, 04:05:16 AM

........and the handling decidedly marginal in every situation - except when the bike was stopped with the engine switched off."

Sounds like a Mk 1 Corvair!  ;D

A cracking looking model Fred, even though I know naff all about motorbikes (bar Triumph Bonnevilles.....)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Not a rider, myself, but I do like bikes (but not the minutia).

Nice build, Fred, she looks good! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kitnut617

I had a test ride on a 400cc one some years ago --- interesting ride that was. The triple I had was a Suzuki GT550 though ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

zenrat

Fred

Wardukw

More of a Yamaha guy myself..used to have a 3/4 race spec FJ 1200 ..i still miss that bike .
As for yours Fred..wonderful mate..  :thumbsup:
I hate painting anything white but you nailed it across the boards bud and the metal work is top notch.
Yup i like this alot   ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

Thanks mate.  Yamaha is the only one f the Japanese big four I haven't owned.  I currently have an early 90's Triumph Triple in pieces in the shed.
Fred

Wardukw

Yamaha do make some pretty good bikes ,,its just a shame i cant ride anymore ,,when ya doc says  if you have even a small crash theres a 90% chance you will be crippled..you kinda listen  :lol:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .