A9 Cruiser Self Propelled AA vehicle - Done

Started by buzzbomb, September 11, 2021, 12:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

Must be SP AA week on this topic, hey Dizzy  ;)

As a back story, the A9 Cruiser tank, the first of the line in that role was effectively retired from front line duty in the Western Desert in 1941. These tanks were gathered up in a Cairo base compound. The A9 as a tank, was outclassed and obsolete, but the chassis and running gear were in sound condition and it was also quite a fast tank, topping out at 25mph. Vickers in the UK was developing Valentine using, basically the same running gear.
When the Panzerarmee Afrika was sending the British forces backward, the role that their air power was having was not lost on some forward thinking Officers so a couple of REME engineering officers thought about a mobile, armoured Anti Aircraft platform, using the well tried and tested 40mm Bofors anti-aircraft gun. A low number of the best A9 chassis were modified with a rudimentary, lightly armoured turret mount and the Bofors wedged in. It was ridiculously cramped and difficult to operate, but it did work. These modified vehicles were sent forward to front line, where they performed adequately, always hampered by the cramped conditions, but only for a very short time as the RAF Desert Airforce got up to numbers and soon had air superiority. As these tanks broke down or became again redundant, they were sent back to the base compound, where eventually they were broken up. Very few photographs were taken of these and remarkably little documentation. Imagine the surprise in 1944 when the REME officers, then back in the UK saw the "new development 40mm Bofors AA tank" based on the Crusader Chassis

This all started with Apophenia's Profile work on the Christie Cruisers on BTS.

I had a Cromwell Models/Under the Armour 1/35 Resin A9 Cruiser, well predating all the new injection releases (of course) However the kit was pretty below average, several poorly cast parts, not the correct number of each running gear, resin that stubbornly refused to glue... it goes on. it ultimately got tossed in a box at the back of the cupboard in disgust.  The profile work got me inspired.

The main event of course was the Bofors. No way I was springing for a new Bofors for this. I do already have a built Bronco 1/35 Bofors. The kit has lots of unused parts from the other Bofors in their range and I was able to gather enough as a basis to start.
I got out the built Bofors as a guide to replicate in a rough enough fashion

Test fit on the chassis after that got a bit of rebuild work.. the tracks are bloody horrible

So after a full arvo session this is where we are at the moment

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 11, 2021, 01:32:52 AM
That's really cool.  :thumbsup:

It is indeed. Impressive work on the Bofors.  :thumbsup:

You've reminded me that I've got a Crusader AA kit somewhere, but the twin 20mm armed version.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

I like this..its different..bloody slow on the Valentine chassis but a gun is a gun..im very slowly doing the same sort thing buts not a wiffy..its a M15a2 ( i think ) ..US half track with a bofors on its back..built in Aussie for the US to fight the Japanese ..i am going to enjoy your build  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

buzzbomb

Almost time to call it on the build phase. Nothing is going to make the base A9 Cruiser kit running gear any better

Fleshed out more of the fighting compartment and mods to the tank
Overall look. Finally found a use for the ROTA Trailer I bought many, many years ago, much before the AFV club offering

Fighting Compartment. Ammo Racks on the wall

Replace the MG Turrets with hatches. I figure that other than being quite useless in this role, it would open space for more interior ammo storage

The Bofors left over bits and pieces with the mods to sort of make it look like a Bofors. For what it is worth.. the Italeri Bofors ain't that great either and the etch sights much better than that offering.

Painting next. Another mojo hurdle to clear
Thanks for the encouragement so far

Old Wombat

Austanker

This thing is cool I must get back into tanks again

buzzbomb

This build is a the "that'll do pig" time
Bit of fun and finally found a use for a long term resident of the Shelf O Doom

A few shots to finish out.

Aside from the tracks, under paint the actual hull is quite nice and I am sure with due care and attention the kit would have turned out ok.
Ready Ammo is a mix of Bronco and AFV club versions, the AFV club stuff has excellent fidelity. The ammo box, also from AFV Club Bofors Ammo Set.
Spare Barrel box is from the Bronco Bofors Kit
Thanks for looking :D

Wardukw

:thumbsup:  very nice buzzy mate..i like how the chipping works so nicely with the colour you used  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

NARSES2

I really like that.

Tremendous work on the crew figures  :bow: Mind you I'm wondering what it is they've dropped  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Excellent job, BT! :mellow:

Even with the Evil Roto Trailer encumbrance. ;)

Colours & weathering are top-notch! :thumbsup:

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..