Air racing with Bf-109s (careful: almost RW!)

Started by TomZ, August 29, 2021, 09:47:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

Air racing with Bf-109s

Utti air base in Finland had a mid-summer festival open day on June 23rd, 1950. It held an air show, to which participated a total of twelve Mersus, from both HLeLv 31 and HLeLv 33. It culminated at 7 pm to an American Reno style air race around the pole with four specially marked planes marked "A" to "D". Regarding the fact that the racers flew in circles, the historians came to conclusion that the aircraft the racers flew were marked on the left side only. Few photographs exist of the four planes.

I've been wanting to build these four models for a very long time. However decals were only available for the "B" and "D" aircraft. SO finally I decided to create my own decals based on the photos I could find. Artistic license was used to fill in the blanks here and there.

Models: 3 x Hasegawa & 1 x Special Hobby, all in 1/72

Since I designed the decals I decided to try to sell some copies of them to earn back the cost of having them printed.
If anyone is interested, they are available for EUR 20 a set, both in 1/72 and 1/48.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

perttime

Thank you for building those!

It is indeed a pity that there are not many photos from the real event, and the ones that exit aren't all that good.

Tophe

Quote from: TomZ on August 29, 2021, 09:47:35 AM
Regarding the fact that the racers flew in circles, the historians came to conclusion that the aircraft the racers flew were marked on the left side only.
Asymmetric painting? Good! :thumbsup: ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

That's a very nice bunch, and colorful, too.  :thumbsup:

Mossie

Something different, nice colourful collection.  :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

megamoto

perttime