BBC 'Vigil' series

Started by Weaver, August 28, 2021, 09:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

So the BBC have been trailing their new series 'Vigil', in which a civilian detective is flown out to a British SSBN to solve a murder mystery. Yes really... :rolleyes:

Apart from the ludicrous premise, see if you can spot the huge howler in these trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWV-j_9FAw4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XRW0kfI2As

Old salts on Twitter are already ripping it to shreds for a dozen detail points just off these two minutes... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on August 29, 2021, 03:54:52 AM
Do tell H.

Bright yellow Sea King with the words ROYAL NAVY added to it on some kind of sticker...

(RN rescue Sea Kings were grey with dayglo, the yellow ones were RAF)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

scooter

Quote from: Weaver on August 28, 2021, 09:29:12 PM
So the BBC have been trailing their new series 'Vigil', in which a civilian detective is flown out to a British SSBN to solve a murder mystery. Yes really... :rolleyes:

Well, you know, they can't have a series based on RN SIB.  The Beeb might get a Cease and Desist letter from CBS and Bellisarius Productions.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :wacko: :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Nigel Bunker

A wonderful submarine is HMS Vigil. Everybody gets their own bunks, the corridors are wide enough to wasl three abreast down them, there's room in the cabins to swing a cat and wait till they go to the bottom deck where the tennis court, five-a-side pitch and swimming pool are to be found. Also I was half expecting the bridge to have a Captain's chair as in Star Trek.

And if they were going to use an RAF Sea King, why didn't they put yellow tape  with 'Royal Navy' in black over Royal Air Force instead of black tape with 'Royal Navy' in yellow?

If it wasn't for the chance of watching Suranne Jones, I'd give up on the series. Is it true that in the last episode she takes all her kit off to wriggle out of the submarine through a torpedo tube? :thumbsup:
Life's too short to apply all the stencils

Weaver

Quote from: Nigel Bunker on August 30, 2021, 07:33:43 AM

And if they were going to use an RAF Sea King, why didn't they put yellow tape  with 'Royal Navy' in black over Royal Air Force instead of black tape with 'Royal Navy' in yellow?

Don't think they had much choice of aircraft. The RAF ones have been out of service for years. The one they used was from an outfit called Historic Helicopters, who keep an HAR.3 in flying condition (as well as a Whirlwind and a Wessex). There's a post on their Facebook page about the show which says "yes we know, and yes we did tell the production company..."

- Indiana Jones

scooter

Quote from: Weaver on August 30, 2021, 10:56:22 AMThere's a post on their Facebook page about the show which says "yes we know, and yes we did tell the production company..."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

Quote from: Nigel Bunker on August 30, 2021, 07:33:43 AM
A wonderful submarine is HMS Vigil. Everybody gets their own bunks, the corridors are wide enough to wasl three abreast down them, there's room in the cabins to swing a cat and wait till they go to the bottom deck where the tennis court, five-a-side pitch and swimming pool are to be found. Also I was half expecting the bridge to have a Captain's chair as in Star Trek.

If it wasn't for the chance of watching Suranne Jones, I'd give up on the series. Is it true that in the last episode she takes all her kit off to wriggle out of the submarine through a torpedo tube? :thumbsup:

Sounds like the sets were built by the same people who build aircraft and train interior sets for TV & film.  Like Spinal Tap's stonehenge in reverse.
Fred

Weaver

RAF Luton have now confirmed that Vigil is filmed on their submarine HMS Sinky, and have provided this helpful cutaway:

Original Tweet here: https://twitter.com/RAF_Luton/status/1434571398899539968?s=20
The replies are an even deeper goldmine than usual... :wacko:

Full size image here: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-ie51WWYAMPFQ0?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Glad they got their priorities right with 9 Weatherspoon's  :cheers:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

crudebuteffective

if you look carefully as well they dont use a proper white ensign on the kit and all the cap badges are changed

me thinks the andrew might have " said nothing to do with us" and prevented use of real insignia
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

AeroplaneDriver

Love that cutaway!   😂

Pure gold.  I've never understood the UK press's insistence on using the "London bus" as a standard unit of measure. 

They did miss out on saying how many sausages it can serve. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

jcf

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on September 06, 2021, 01:23:54 PM
Love that cutaway!   😂

Pure gold.  I've never understood the UK press's insistence on using the "London bus" as a standard unit of measure.   

The US media use of "football field"* is another eye-roller.

*Which is, of course the 100 yard long American football field.

zenrat

Here in Victoria the meedja like to use "Melbourne Cricket Grounds" (area, volume, or number of people) while in Australia generally it is traditional when talking about volumes of liquid to quote them in "Sydney Harbours".
Fred