The Realities of trading at model shows - a trader's perspective

Started by Weaver, August 17, 2021, 05:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

I wonder what he means by 'European and other shows are every different'?

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 18, 2021, 02:33:55 AM

Don't know, but I've asked the question.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

zenrat

Fascinating.  Thanks H.

I can't speak for the big shows in the other states but at the Australian Model Expo in Melbourne there is no under the table trading.  If you want to sell your stash you get a table at the Swamp & Smell on the Monday.
I've often wondered how much theft goes on.  Both from traders and from the tables.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: Weaver on August 18, 2021, 02:51:50 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 18, 2021, 02:33:55 AM

Don't know, but I've asked the question.

Here's Chis's response:

"In my experience of European shows, namely scale model challenge, moson, KMK and a couple of others, they actively work with traders to give you the best possible experience. The pricing is better, they are super polite and helpful, they help you organise your accommodation to find good places, make sure you get refreshment, come around during the show to talk about it, make announcements during the show promoting traders, don't allow under the table sales and don't allow clubs to sell from their stands. But mostly, they are just friendlier."

I've run two tweets together there for easy reading. Here are the original tweets:
https://twitter.com/chris_meddings/status/1427939461472608256?s=20
https://twitter.com/chris_meddings/status/1427940335678857218?s=20

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

I've never been to a show in Europe, not a model show as we know it anyway, but I have attended a few Flight Simulation events in Holland as a participant, not a paying guest. My experience of them was exactly as Chris explained, the organisers couldn't do enough to ensure my experience was as comfortable and easy as was possible.

It occurs to me that this may BECAUSE I'd come from abroad, and the treatment may have been 'special' because of that, but I can't prove it one way or the other.

Having done a number of FS events in the UK as well, my experience at them was mixed, some good, some APPALLING!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

I am surprised that he writes"don't allow under the table sales and don't allow clubs to sell from their stands". I have never been to the shows he quotes, but I am a regular visitor to the big Houten Euro Scale Modelling,as well to the Mons, Hoboken, Affligem shows in Belgium,and many other regional ones in France and Germany, and EVERYBODY is selling OVER the table. I always thought it was normal.  :o
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

At some UK shows I've seen second hand traders replenishing their stocks via under the table sales so it's definitely "horses for courses".

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

Quote from: loupgarou on August 18, 2021, 09:06:15 AM
I am surprised that he writes"don't allow under the table sales and don't allow clubs to sell from their stands". I have never been to the shows he quotes, but I am a regular visitor to the big Houten Euro Scale Modelling,as well to the Mons, Hoboken, Affligem shows in Belgium,and many other regional ones in France and Germany, and EVERYBODY is selling OVER the table. I always thought it was normal.  :o

At ESM, non-traders can sell but they have to book (and pay for) a separate table to do it. No under-the-table sales are allowed.

Martin H

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 19, 2021, 12:13:51 AM
At some UK shows I've seen second hand traders replenishing their stocks via under the table sales so it's definitely "horses for courses".
True enough. Paul Davis is well known for trawling the under table sales for future stock.

From various conversations with traders I have found that most arnt that bothered with the odd small box or two of kits on sale under the table, its when its hard to tell a club stand apart from the trade stands that really gets their backs up.  (as did happened at Telford pre kitswap days) When a club takes the mick like that it is a case of unfair competition.

Some shows like Telford and the Scots nationals run a kit swap in place of undertable sales. It adds to their revenue stream as they will take a cut of each sale as an admin fee.
Clubs like Brampton seek a donation for what ever charity they are supporting from those who are selling under the table. Failure to donate can jeopardise the clubs chance of an invite for the next year.
Others will have a limit on the number of sale boxes allowed infront of a club stand. And many will just leave every one to fight it out.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Weaver

In the days when I was selling a lot of stuff under the table, if I had several copies of the same kit I'd put one in the UTT box and leave the rest either in the car or at home to avoid antagonising the traders. If I'd been asked to pay a fee to sell UTT I'd have been happy to pay it, as long as it was proportional to the amount I was selling or the size of the space or something like that.

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

I've only ever bought from the Kit Swap at Telford twice and on both occasions I've felt hard done by. Won't be bothering again.  :angry:

Quote from: Martin H on August 19, 2021, 06:44:30 AM

From various conversations with traders I have found that most arnt that bothered with the odd small box or two of kits on sale under the table, its when its hard to tell a club stand apart from the trade stands that really gets their backs up.  (as did happened at Telford pre kitswap days) When a club takes the mick like that it is a case of unfair competition.

That's the feeling I get Martin and think it's a perfectly reasonable point of view
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nigel Bunker

In future I shall be very careful buying from 'under the table'. During lockdown I went into the loft to get a Fujimi F-14A which I had purchased several years ago at the Milton Keynes show.  I sat at the table, opened the box and found that the contents were an Italeri F-14. In future I shall be opening the boxes before I buy.
Life's too short to apply all the stencils

zenrat

I always open the boxes before I buy at a swap meet.  I like to check the clear parts.
If they object I don't buy it.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

That's the problem at Telford in that you can't check the contents of boxes in the kit swap. I've been done twice, both times the seller had screwed the vacform canopies, and won't be buying again.