Horten Go-229 1/72 Revell

Started by wacek85, August 15, 2021, 06:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wacek85

Hello!

Long time no see but maybe I'll have more free time from now.

1/72 Horten Ho-229 from Revell. Wonderful model, everything fits like a dream. Paining like always: Tamiya, Mr Hobby and AK Real Colors. Weathering with Tamiya pigments and AMMO fluids. Last photo on base finished yesterday.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

nighthunter

It's well done! I have the chance to get a Pioneer 1/72 Horten Ho229 but should I splurge for the Revell kit instead?
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

PR19_Kit

That looks very smart indeed, nice job.  :thumbsup:

I have yet to see an explanation why the nosewheel on the -229 is so HUGE!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

wacek85

Thanks guys :)

Quote from: nighthunter on August 15, 2021, 06:55:56 AM
It's well done! I have the chance to get a Pioneer 1/72 Horten Ho229 but should I splurge for the Revell kit instead?

I never had Pioneer kit in hands but I quick downloaded instruction from Scalemates. I'll make it quick. Don't loose time for Pionieer. Revell kit has full front gear well, good cockpit, nice intakes and exhausts, wheels are good too. Surface details are well done, decals are great.

nighthunter

Quote from: wacek85 on August 15, 2021, 07:07:46 AM

I never had Pioneer kit in hands but I quick downloaded instruction from Scalemates. I'll make it quick. Don't loose time for Pionieer. Revell kit has full front gear well, good cockpit, nice intakes and exhausts, wheels are good too. Surface details are well done, decals are great.
Thanks for that! I have 2 Pioneer Fokker DXXIs and they're rather basic, so was hesitant on getting the Horten.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

comrade harps

Interesting scheme and nice weathering  :thumbsup:
Whatever.

Old Wombat

That looks fantastic! Great job! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kitbasher

Fully agree.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

JayBee

I have built both kits and I would go for the Revel kit anytime. The Pioneer kit is only suitable if you are thinking of extreme butchery to it, and you will have to change the nose u/c as in the configuration the kit gives it will NEVER be able to retract.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

wacek85

Quote from: nighthunter on August 15, 2021, 07:14:43 AM

Thanks for that! I have 2 Pioneer Fokker DXXIs and they're rather basic, so was hesitant on getting the Horten.

If you're not dedicated 1/72 modeller I'd recommend 1'48 Revell Horten. It's a Dragon set, which was seconded only by Zoukei Mura. In box you'll get  PE fret, both engines possibility of showing cannons, internal structure of fuselage etc. But if you're certain that 1/72 is your choice then you can't be wrong with choosing Revell.

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 15, 2021, 08:05:15 AM
That looks fantastic! Great job! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote from: comrade harps on August 15, 2021, 07:50:38 AM
Interesting scheme and nice weathering  :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot :)

Quote from: JayBee on August 15, 2021, 08:41:57 AM
I have built both kits and I would go for the Revel kit anytime. The Pioneer kit is only suitable if you are thinking of extreme butchery to it, and you will have to change the nose u/c as in the configuration the kit gives it will NEVER be able to retract.

Jim

Indeed!

TomZ

Looks very good.
Love the paint scheme!

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

frank2056

Fantastic paint and weathering job!

I agree - the Revell kit is probably the best Ho-229 and most accurate in 1/72 (I haven't seen the Zoukei-Mura kit to compare.) 

The Pioneer kit is very basic and dates from the early 70s.

Glenn Gilbertson

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 15, 2021, 06:57:48 AM
That looks very smart indeed, nice job.  :thumbsup:

I have yet to see an explanation why the nosewheel on the -229 is so HUGE!  :o

I agree, a really nice piece of work.

As for the nosewheel, I remember reading somewhere that it was an item recovered from a downed Liberator.   That late in the war, the Hortens apparently had to scrounge and improvise, using whatever parts they could lay their hands on.  This may not actually be the case, but it's a believable story.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet