1/35 Corrugator, 3D printed

Started by frank2056, August 11, 2021, 07:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

I needed to make some 1/35 scale corrugated roof panels (8 feet/2.4m long) so I looked up the cross section of a standard panel, traced and scaled it so that the period of the "waves" were correct for 1/35 then made it 2.74"/69.67mm long. I printed the results today in PLA and it worked well enough for my purposes.

The two corrugator parts. The top half aligns the bottom half. It's in bright orange PLA, because that was the free filament that came with the printer and I still haven't used it up:

Two halves together. I had to mark the correct edge, otherwise the corrugations could be 90 degrees out of phase and the aluminum wouldn't get corrugated :

The end view. The curves do line up - the two parts are slightly separated here.

And the results:

The top one was made with with thicker aluminum crafting foil. I don't have a vise, so I had to step on it to get the two halves to meet. The lower example is with kitchen aluminum foil, which was easy to corrugate. I also experimented with running a mechanical pencil over the craft aluminum foil to push it into the corrugations, then squeezed the top half. That worked as well.

I used PLA instead of ABS because I felt PLA would stand up to pressure without deforming.

The panels can be trimmed to size and painted. Not bad for 90 minutes worth of work (about 20 minutes looking up corrugated panels and designing it and an hour to print, plus a few minutes to test.) The kitchen aluminum foil version looks a little deformed because my cat Felix decided to play with it.

Old Wombat

Cool! 8)

Any idea how it would go with coffee tin foil?  :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

buzzbomb

Good thinking there Frank. It appears to do exactly what you want it to do.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Interesting work. I love the fact that you have used a combination of state of the art technology, 3D printing, and good old fashioned brute force, stepping on the "mould", to get what you want. Human ingenuity at its best  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote from: frank2056 on August 11, 2021, 07:38:28 PM
The kitchen aluminum foil version looks a little deformed because my cat Felix decided to play with it.

Typical moggie, has to get in on the act  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

frank2056

Thanks, guys.
I've read that cats don't like metal foil, but apparently Felix (and his sisters) haven't read that memo yet.

The various corrugators (or pre-corrugated material) were either more than I wanted to pay or didn't produce the right type of corrugations. I'll get a vise and try it with that. It also works with paper, although not quite as nicely. There are meshed gear type of corrugators that can produce an endless strip of material. You could change the gears and produce corrugations in different scales.

Guy, the regular kitchen aluminum foil I used is 0.02mm - 0.03mm thick and the craft aluminum foil is about 0.12mm thick. I think coffee tin foil is between those two.

scooter

:thumbsup:

Quote from: frank2056 on August 12, 2021, 09:49:45 AM
Thanks, guys.
I've read that cats don't like metal foil, but apparently Felix (and his sisters) haven't read that memo yet.

Our two males run whenever I pull out either parchment paper or tinfoil.  The four girls, on the other hand, could care less.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Old Wombat

Quote from: frank2056 on August 12, 2021, 09:49:45 AM
Guy, the regular kitchen aluminum foil I used is 0.02mm - 0.03mm thick and the craft aluminum foil is about 0.12mm thick. I think coffee tin foil is between those two.

:thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

And that is exactly how Bluescope do it.  Just on a bigger scale.
;D ;)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

frank2056

I made a new batch of corrugators in 1/35 and 1/72. They have denser infill, so they're heavier and tougher:

The 1/72 is just OK. Using a pencil (and fingernail) on the craft aluminum and on only the lower L shaped corrugator section, I got a pretty good approximation. I used the top corrugator to refine the shape and got this:

Next is a 1/48 version.