Hushkit's 2022 What-If Wyvern contest - first entrant

Started by Weaver, July 29, 2021, 05:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Oh God I'm sorry it's all my fault... ;)

Joe Coles over on Hushkit has decided to run a model contest to build one of the planes from a 2019 comedy What-If article:

This is the article: https://hushkit.net/2019/06/11/the-greatest-aircraft-that-never-were/

These are the five planes (text descriptions and bigger pics in the article):

This is the prize: https://unbound.com/books/hushkit/

If anybody wants to enter but isn't on Twitter, DM me and I'll post your entry there.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Link to the article fixed. :thumbsup: :rolleyes:

I've just asked him and he says that deviations from the artwork are more than acceptable. The example I used was giving the first one big venturis at the ends of it's booms to reflect the fact that they contain 120mm recoillesss rifles. :o
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Soooo, I'm an idiot - I posted this thread in My Stash Grew Again instead of General Modelling Topics - could a Mod kindly move it there for me please?

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

- Indiana Jones

jcf

Eric 'Winkle' Brown's notorious twin brother Alan 'Picker' Brown

;D ;D :thumbsup: :wacko:

Which one is which?  :wacko:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

So Hush-Kit's at it again:

QuoteAircraft modellers: competition time! Brief: make the craziest most
imaginative model based on a Westland Wyvern. The 10 best will be
featured in an article, top 5 will receive prizes. Remember: imagination and
eccentricity will be rewarded. Deadline 16/12/22. Share images here

And the Twitter thread wherein the images should be shared is here:
https://twitter.com/Hush_Kit/status/1581942634809298944?s=20&t=-3W5bqXZ5jqGqtVHUbT26A

Just to be clear, he's said in a follow-up post that it only has to be INSPIRED by the Wyvern, not literally based on a Wyvern kit, which a number of people have pointed out are not exactly thick on the ground at the moment.

If you're not on Twitter but you fancy giving it a go, I'll be happy to post the pics up for you. Just drop me a DM.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Result in from @joe_wilding on Twitter.

This is the Whacky Wyvern - 3D printed, then hand-finished and brush/airbrush painted.
Details and more pics here: https://sites.google.com/view/wacky-wyvern/

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

TWO Pythons?  :o

It would probably take-off with them both at idle!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Needs to be about 50% longer, with a "t"-tail & armed with 4 x 30mm Adens .......... You could call it the Westland Whirlwind II ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

perttime

Looks like power should be sufficient  ;D

I suppose it looks a bit cartoonish. Which is fine by me  :thumbsup:

AeroplaneDriver

Very nice, but I think it would need a bit more rudder. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Gondor

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 27, 2022, 07:23:51 AMNeeds to be about 50% longer, with a "t"-tail & armed with 4 x 30mm Adens .......... You could call it the Westland Whirlwind II ;)

Why not simply change the engines on a Meteor to two Pythons?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dizzyfugu

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on November 28, 2022, 01:04:29 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on November 27, 2022, 07:23:51 AMNeeds to be about 50% longer, with a "t"-tail & armed with 4 x 30mm Adens .......... You could call it the Westland Whirlwind II ;)

Why not simply change the engines on a Meteor to two Pythons?

Gondor

There was the turbo-prop proposal

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.